FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 09-14-2010, 10:46 AM

Default Cabrinha DEMO 9/15 EB

Damien LeRoy of Cabrinha will be hosting a demo on Wednesday 9/15 at East Beach, Ft. Desoto. Demo will begin at 10am and go till the wind dies.
Sorry for the short notice, but we are very eager to get on the 2011 gear as many tweaks have been made.

You can expect to ride:
Switchblades
Crossbows
Nomads
and the full lineup of boards.

Damien can also answer any questions you might have about the line of NPX products.

What: Cabrinha/NPX demo
Where: Ft. Desoto Park/East Beach
When: 9/15 @ 10am ALL DAY or until the wind dies
Shop Contact: John of Watersports West 727-517-7000
Old 09-16-2010, 06:03 PM

A big thank you to Damien for bringing over the gear and giving a bunch of folks a first look at the 2011 gear.

I know some folks wanted to try the 16m Switchblade, and we will definately have it next time around. Another demo is planned for a weekend in the future.

Some thoughts on the kites. The bar is simply magnificent. Very refined and I feel they pretty much nailed it. The no stretch lines is a big one, and the recoil system just makes sense.

Crossbow 16 is still the powerhouse. By the end of the day, had no problems riding around in 8knots with a twin tip. Really liked the fact the bar pressure was much less than last year and the relaunch is back to being as easy as it gets. We saw relaunches in less than 10 just by pulling on the outside line.

The Crossbow 13 was in the air the entire time and very impressive low end. Much nicer to fly than last years model with the decrease in bar pressure. If you like to park and ride in light wind and not work the kite for power, this should be looked at. Also note, the two settings make a big difference. One setting gives you better low end, while the other setting gives you better turning speed. It's very noticeable. It's not the best kite for jumping and freestyle, but an excellent choice for range and low end power.

The Switchblade 12 doesn't have quite the grunt of the Crossbows, but it has more grunt than last years model. No problem riding around in 10-12. It is certainly not the fastest 12M out there, but one of the most powerful. I didn't get a chance to ride this kite earlier in the am when the winds were 15-20, but everyone really liked this kite.

The Nomad is the quickest kite in the lineup with the least amount of low end. These kites are designed with high performance in mind, so light wind is not its forte. I look forward to checking them out next demo when the wind is stronger.

Lots of boards to try, but with the wind being so light, it was really hard to get a feel for how they handle chop, spray, pop, and so forth. I did think the bindings are more comfortable and supportive, and the look of the boards is a step up from previous years. There is definately a board for everyone and every kind of riding style. There is even a kite specific wakeskate that is alot of fun.

Gotta a chance to try the raceboard, and its a whole nother world. I will leave it at that. In a nutshell, its like having nitrous in your board. If you like speed, crusing, ultra lighwind, then I would give this a lookover. Hope to have one in the shop soon.

On a final note, it was nice to hang out with Chris from the Sarasota shop. Outstanding guy, and definately in this for all the right reasons.