FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > General Discussion > HOW TO START, Kiteboarding Training & Schools > HOW TO START ...
Connect with Facebook

Old 07-02-2006, 09:43 AM

Default Picking out a board and trying to fine tune my kite.

At this stage in my progression I can fly a trainer with ease and I know how to do the basics (in theory) of launching and landing all that good stuff. I have purchased a 12m Cabrinha Co2 with powerdrive control system and need a board and harness. I am waiting for my next pay check to buy a harness and have decided on a waist because I am a smaller rider. But I am still unsure of a good board. I have been told that a surf style board would be much easier to learn on but there are not many waves hear and I can't afford to buy a board to learn on. So I am looking at larger wake style boards such as the Cabrinha Prodigy 158. Plus I have been wakeboarding for a while and never really surfed so a wake style board might feel more comfortable to me. Does anyone have any recomendations as far as boards preferrably cheap. And as far as tuning my kite I have tied the control lines to a tree to make sure that the bar is strait but I want to tune the sheeting before I get on the water the first time is there a trick to doing this or should I just get my kite sheeted properly when It's flying on the beach before I head out the first time?
Thanks a lot.
Old 07-03-2006, 09:22 AM
Skyway Scott

In terms of the board to learn on, I am in favor of a larger board to learn on. You can always use it as a light wind board.

I tried to learn on a directional (surf style) board when I started (stone age) for about ten hours, 'cuz all the mags were saying it was easier. It was hard. Then I swithched to a wake style and was riding instantly (downwind, of course).
For me, the wake style board was TONS easier than the directional.
Your choice of board sounds good to me.

Good luck kiting.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:06 AM

Thanks a lot hopefully I'll be gettin a board soon.