FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 07-22-2008, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Stock View Post
Just to be clear, I don't have a problem with moderators editing posts, but I do have a problem with the fact that it does not SAY it was edited, or WHO edited it.
good point tom

i dont trust some of these moderators either....

im gong to go back and check my first 1,496 posts to make sure they didnt change anything without me know... be right back.....
Old 07-22-2008, 03:30 PM

Not trying to stir up the wind censors again, but:
1.- Last time I checked this was America, I don't need anyone to moderate or modify what I think.

2.-Why don't you guys "moderate" that annoying advertisement at the top of the main page that is (has always) blocking the search box? Now that would be a good reason to flex those mighty fingers...
Moderators RULE!...dude (literally)
Sorry, lack of wind, I guess..... :twisted:

Last edited by Kiteboarding Tampa Bay; 07-22-2008 at 03:34 PM. Reason: I just noticed that the annoying advertisement is no longer blocking the search box, however my eraser refuses to work...
Old 07-22-2008, 04:58 PM
Skyway Scott

Since it's still being discussed, I think the larger issue is how many people have access to moderator rights (through acquired passwords) and that those rights include more than just the ability to censor a post. That irritates me a lot more than a censored post or locked thread, b/c that involves privacy issues.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:09 PM

I hope you didn't think the P in PM stood for private.LOL Rule of thumb never put anything in writting you don't want read back to you in court, or commented on at the lauch site.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:11 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

I've just asked C. Moore and BigR to change their passwords and to make them more complicated for that matter. They should be changed regularly through time as well. This is good advice for anyone on the Internet these days btw.

Beyond that, I've asked that they not share password information with anyone else. I have no knowledge that they have done so in the past either.

Regarding PM's neither I nor any other moderator has access to the contents or subject of ANY Private Message. That is the way the system is setup. That does not apply to the sender or recipient however. Good advice about the gravity of putting things in writing though.

A bit of advice, If you want to write in haste in response to a post by all means do so. I do this myself at times but I also wait to post it. A few hours later I might think differently, may ditch it or rewrite it. In either case with this approach there is frequently no need to delete a post that is on the forum.

This community works very well in my opinion, it isn't perfect but that would be boring anyway. Creative input and restraint drive things in productive directions.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 07-22-2008, 08:18 PM
Skyway Scott

It's not necessary that a mod knowingly share PW info for the info to be spread. In addition, other mods have existed for the Tampa Bay section in addition to Raul and Chris. So, I wasn't implying either of those two voluntarily gave out the info, I don't believe they did. Still though, the mod info was/is out. I also believe you had no clue Rick and appreciate you taking steps to lock it down.

Anyway, once I learned what was going on awhile back, I took proper steps.

I mainly brought this up and posted because the discussion was talking about mods, their permissions, etc. and I don't want someone making the same mistake I made by deleting an angry post believing it is now in the trash where no one has access to it. That's simply not the case.
People can still access it. Probably a mute point since so few post and fewer delete.

Toby has problems now... http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.p...50038&p=538439
Old 07-22-2008, 11:36 PM

The only issue I really have (ever had) is people choosing friendships and personal interests over safety. If you don't like my brand of humor, you are entitled to a full refund. but tweaking the truth or sweeping it under a rug is what's counter-productive and impedes progress.
My take on forums these days:
People used to be more concerned about their beach than how politically correct they were on a forum. It was a great way to rib someone for being an idiot on the beach and they got the hint. It was wicked funny and got the point across at the same time.
Now it takes 30 minutes to write a non offensive post, 3 1/2 hours to think about posting it, and another half a day to wonder how bad it pissed someone off. Man, I just don't have that kind of time on my hands...

Oh yeah, moderators stealing my identity and posting on kiteforum is BS too.

PS- Beach Day 4 the Kids from 11:00-4:30 today at North Beach
Beach Cleanup at 5:00
Peace
Old 07-23-2008, 06:17 AM
Tom Stock

Yeah... so you spend all this time mentioned to get the balls to actually make a stand and say something about a kook circus act at the beach but then you have second thoughts so you immediately delete your post to avoid conflict.

Then the f@$ moderator QUOTES the already deleted post so everyone can see it and respond to it!

Seen it happen here about 5 times.

So obviously mods can see deleted posts as well as edit posts at will with no consequence.

NO GOOD.

Mods should only be able to DELETE, period.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:29 AM

Yeah, I know Scotty gut burned on that before- Thats sucks!
I have seen too many moderator games over the years and still dont see a need for them, other than for spam.
One thing worth noting is that Scott and I used to have the biggest battles of anyone on the forum, and it has actually gotten us to understand and respect each other a LOT better over the years as people and as kiters.
TBKA is a result of both of us overlooking the BS and working together to move forward and create something productive that can really make a difference!

BTW, I just saw they are finally doing a study on the T-groins at Sunset and considering removing them in 2010! (Woo hoo!)

Peace
Old 07-23-2008, 09:18 AM

Geez, did anybody even look at the awesome bionic man? Let alone the wind blowing on the beach they walk down? Am I going to havta contact Rodney King so we can all get along.

Anyway, so why didn't my video embed anyway, I thought I just had to cut and paste in the code from the youtube video that said embed and presto