FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > General Discussion > Travel
Connect with Facebook

Old 08-07-2007, 09:54 AM

Default Going to Hatteras - first time

I'm thinking of going to hatteras for a long weeked ( agu 17~19) to find the missing wind of miami!
Can you guys tell me how to get there ( leaving from MIA ), where to stay and all the good stuff?

Thanks.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:51 AM

give a call to Real kiteboarding.. they should be able to answer all your questions.. they have a great online map of all launch areas.

their site also has some recommended accommodations.

Google the driving directions.. pretty much a straight shot up then 1 turn to head to the outer banks..

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 08-07-2007, 12:58 PM

I'll call them.
I should have been more specific. I have 3 day weekend. I already looked at the directions and it takes at least 9 hours driving so only 1 day is left riding. I wanted to ask if some1 actually flew there from MIA, which airport and drive from airport.
On a side note, I could take suggestions on a closer spot to go find some wind for a long weekend.
Thanks.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:26 PM

mike@thekitehouse.com

he has driven back and forth with boat, with out, he has a lace to stay on the water, all the spots dialed ect......enjoy

call him at 786 380 2269

aloha Paul
Old 08-07-2007, 06:45 PM

figure at least 14 hrs drivingfrom miami to obx. Fly into norfolk va and drive 3 hrs
Old 08-07-2007, 07:31 PM
Can't Re-member

I think its more like 21 hrs to obx from Miami, but what do I know?

Maybe Beufford won't catch you going thru SC & NC ( then again think small town sheriffs w/ speed traps which limit you to 45.......)
Old 08-07-2007, 08:56 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Southwest used to have good rates into Norfolk. I see US Airways has flights under $225. R/T. Hope you get some good wind up there.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 08-08-2007, 05:45 PM

Default Hatteras 1st time

The drive fom Miami is more like17+ hrs - It is a long haul. The closest airport is Norfolk VA, 2.5 to 3 hrs away. Fly for sure to get more riding time!! Check out www.outerbankskiting.com and give Jay or Karen a call. We have a private soundfront, nice 1 bedroom apartment for rentals 75 a night. Ride from KP to the house for an evening downwinder.Centrally located in Avon which is the best town to stay in- lots of launches oceanside and soundside, and lots of other "stuff" August is prime vacationer season here so rentals are at a premium. It has been 20-25 SW all day today!!!! Friends up from Fl have been on the southside killing it all day. Last week we had some campers up from Fl and they had 2 epic days ocean and sound. Looks like the SW trend is here again! Give us a call and we will help you out.
Karen
Old 08-12-2007, 08:11 PM

Just got back from a long weekend in Hatteras. Flew from Tampa to norfolk, rented a car and drove 2.5 hrs to Buxton. Ticket was 300$ on southwest, it makes one stop in Jaxonville. They have a 530 pm flight so you can get in a full day of work and travel in the evening . Sunday afternoon return flight. All in all really easy compared to a LONG carride. Great wind. Rode a 12 Atom but should have been on a 9 thursday and friday, rode a 15 waroo really lit on saturday. The other really nice thing about southwest is I changed my ticket on the morning of travel for FREE. I was going to go to Corpus but the forecast looked bad but looked great for OBX.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:06 PM

Just got back from a week in hatteras on saturday. I live in palm harbor. It's a 14 hour drive from tampa, so I imagine it would be about 19hours from Miami. Just mapquest your directions. If you take 64-east in north carolina you can avoid the ferries all together and just drive over some bridges to get to the island. I booked house2 off of realkiteboarding's website which is located in Waves. If you ask me, you want to stay somewhere around there. That's where realkiteboarding is located and that's where you'll find most of the action happening. Most of the downwinder points are located in that area. If you're only staying for a few days I would just rent the bunkhouse from real. It's only like $30 a night and it is right on the property. You could also rent a room from one of real's houses which are located right in the area. Good luck bro. I caught 20knots everyday but two when I was there. Only one day wasn't kite-able.