FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 02-15-2008, 08:53 PM

Default Thoughts for Sunday

Anyone want to take a stab at Sunday prediction. Weather models seem to be very conflicting. NOAA looks epic, Accuweather isn't calling for much, IKITE is in the middle. The Satelite doesn't look too organized at the moment.

What do you think?
Old 02-15-2008, 09:33 PM

i think if its windy, i will ride. If its not, i won't. Sorry steve, couldn't resist. Looks like honeymoon again for some south action, if it happens, unless maybe you take out the S.S. STEVE-O and i can stow-away on it somewhere I think we need an official whitey prediction on this one.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:26 PM

the last couple solid S -> SSW -> SW wind days we've had, usairnet and accuweather had them pretty much nailed..even on the low end..

for sunday / monday they are not showing the winds they were forecasting a couple days ago..

might be much lighter than I've been crossing my fingers for..

we will see..

-b

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 02-15-2008, 10:49 PM

im guessin big kites big boards with a few sucker winds but i'll be out there waiting to see what happens
Old 02-16-2008, 09:03 AM

The variability of the forecasts always amaze me. Weather.com increased the winds on sunday by 4-5mph through the week. I know weather.com isnt the most accurate, but if you look at 5 sites, each one could be so different.
Shoulda been a weatherman, then I could just shrug my shoulders when I was wrong at work.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:35 AM
Skyway Scott

Most of those wind forecasts truly should say "For entertainment purposes only".
The biggest problem is that the wind forecasts are for fairly large areas. Right off the bat you have a problem. As we all know, different patterns for wind exist in different areas within the forecast region. Souths tend to have a few areas where the wind is amplified. Northeasts the same thing, sea breezes the same thing.
Also, different times of the day can amplify the winds or diminish them differently depending on where you are. At EB, Souths almost always peak at 1-2pm. I don't even leave my house until noon anymore on a South.
Then it's almost always over (at EB) by 4:30. It's just how it is. There are rare exceptions, but that's a pretty strong pattern.

If I were you guys up North, I would start building on your observations for your area over a few seasons and learn to notice patterns. Once you do, you will be much more well equipped than even the best WxMan to make reasonable stabs at wind for a particular area. Those guys (Wx) do know what they are doing, but the areas they are asked to predict for in terms of wind pretty much screw them right off the bat. I bet if we had Steve Jarvey riding with us and he started to care about making micro-forecasts, he would nail the wind forecast for EB every time. .
Old 02-16-2008, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyway Scott View Post
I bet if we had Steve Jarvey riding with us and he started to care about making micro-forecasts, he would nail the wind forecast for EB every time. .

Well we HAD Josh Linker but you had to go and goof on him and scare him away Scott!!! LOL!!!
Old 02-16-2008, 10:51 AM
Skyway Scott

Nah. I actually like him now. I even bet on his forecast for the last hurricane.

http://www.fksa.org/showthread.php?t...ghlight=linker
Old 02-16-2008, 12:32 PM
<jason

So where is everone going to go?
Scott you seem to have this down pretty well ... What do you think whats are best chances...?
Old 02-16-2008, 01:29 PM
Can't Re-member

hey , East Beach Is Always The Best Spot