FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 10-30-2014, 11:02 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Curry Hammock Park Rules

I just saw this on Facebook and wanted to pass it on.

Matt Jacobson

ATTN curry hammock park jammers: Post cabrinha demo day last week a few of us had a sit down meeting with the park manager Ken and 2 of the FWC regulars to talk about their growing concerns about the way kiters have been conducting themselves at the park and they have decided to start cracking down on us. The warnings the other day concerning life jackets confirms their intentions to further regulate the sport in the near future. So I am writing on their behalf to spread the word about their other new plan of action to help keep everyone riding there for as long as possible. As many of you know there has been a notice posted to kiteboarders with a list of rules for some time now and as many of you also know these rules have only been loosely followed and enforced. Ken has been kind enough to let a lot of our shenanigans fly for some time now and the time has come where they feel they need to have further control over us. Rather than jumping to prohibit kiting altogether, to curb the problem they are going to start exercising their right to ban certain kiters from the park for life. As for their chosen level of enforcement or whether or not a first offense will get you booted I cannot say as it’s up to their discretion. All I can say is they seem to be pretty reasonable people who have a decent understanding of the sport and I can only see them banning a kiter who is repeatedly causing problems, breaking the rules, or causing a scene. Speaking of rules here are the new ones… enjoy!

NO MORE WALKING KITES UPWIND: If you happen to get stuck downwind of the permitted kite launch/land zone you are no longer allowed to walk the kite back in the air. In the past they were ok with it as long as the kite was being flown over the water away from the campground. You must now suck it up and self-land first and then carry it back up the beach.

NO MORE KITING WITHIN 100 YARDS OF THE SHORE (SERIOUSLY THIS TIME): This one has been on the posted sign and until now warnings have only been given to those riding excessively right next to the beach. Their fire here was just fueled by the new statute 327.37 which groups us as vessel operators and thus falling under the entertaining list of restrictions. Feel free to read about it if you missed the previous kite rant. http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/...s/0327.37.html
The park management wants us to know it can now technically be careless and reckless operation of a vessel if you happen cause any real problems on the beach.

NO MORE VISIBLE ALCOHOL: Notice they said visible… I know we have more than a few professional alcoholics out there who know how to effectively use a solo cup or sunscreen bottle to drink in public so lets all learn from them about how to not cause a scene in front of families out for a day in the park. 80 dollar tickets will now be issued to obvious offenders.

NO MORE CHOPPING OF THE COCONUTS: Ok so we got a little carried away with the cocos frios who can blame us, but this one has come to an end as they apparently treasure their forbidden fruits.

ABIDE BY ALL PARK RULES: Lets try to come together on this one to work towards this spot still being here 20 years from now. "

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Kite...4304039924059/

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 11-05-2014 at 09:27 AM.