FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 08-21-2006, 12:19 PM
Can't Re-member

Inverting bows is a result of rider error , even in the highest of winds.

Typically they will invert if you push the bar out tooo far, inexperienced riders tend to do this in high winds.

The trick to not inverting , even in high winds is to only push the bar out as much as you really need to and not a bit more. in other words, keep plenty of tension on those lines!
Old 08-21-2006, 12:55 PM

you have to use the board edge to control the power, not the kites depower, most beginners arent good at using the board to control the kite's power, thats why they end up inverting
Old 08-21-2006, 02:01 PM
tomstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigR
Inverting bows is a result of rider error , even in the highest of winds.

Typically they will invert if you push the bar out tooo far, inexperienced riders tend to do this in high winds.

The trick to not inverting , even in high winds is to only push the bar out as much as you really need to and not a bit more. in other words, keep plenty of tension on those lines!
Huh? How is pushing the bar out to depower the kite (causing it to invert) a product of inexperience? You are saying one should ride a certain way (avoid depowering??) to avoid the fatal flaw of these kites?

Sounds to me like a tuning/design problem. If a bow kite will invert when/if I get into trouble and push the bar out fast then I will not be riding one of those kites until it's fixed. That sounds incredibly dangerous, like an accident waiting to happen.

When I inverted E's waroo it was definately my fault... I did a jumping transition and the kite flew far over to the edge of the window and flipped inside out. A C kite would have either stalled for a second or crashed but the waroo inverted a few times instead and punshed me severely for my little experiment. No big deal, but if you are saying I shouldnt even depower it all the way then something is obviously wrong with the tuning, bridle design or kite design.

Seriously thats like saying "Dont take your foot off the gas pedal or the car will go full throttle with the steering reversed".

What happens if you fall on a wave and accidentally let go of the bar??? The kite inverts and lofts you into the rocks?!

Sounds like there needs to be a stopper to prevent 100% depower, but even then any slack in the lines after a fall could cause inversion also.

I really want one of these kites, but maybe I'll wait to see how many get whacked during inversions this season.
Old 08-21-2006, 02:04 PM

I think it depowers to quickly. To much wind hitting on top of the LE causing it to invert. Just my opinion that is now subjected to be trashed.

Also the LE is much smaller on the Warro then other BOW kites, it's not as rigid and could also be the reason it inverts.
Old 08-21-2006, 02:27 PM
Can't Re-member

Quote:
Huh? How is pushing the bar out to depower the kite (causing it to invert) a product of inexperience?
YES, it is. it is in the way and the amount that the bar is pushed out that causes it to invert. i.e. , flying fast depowered across the powerzone is almost 100% guarranty invert

Quote:
You are saying one should ride a certain way (avoid depowering??)
YES, only depower to what is necessary to avoid getting lofted, but still keep a good amount of power on.

Quote:
to avoid the fatal flaw of these kites?
Not a fatal flaw, laws of physice and rider error. All kites will invert if put under the same equivalent stress, i.e. inverse airflow pattern

Quote:
What happens if you fall on a wave and accidentally let go of the bar??? The kite inverts and lofts you into the rocks?!
I doubt it, the kite will most likely be overhead when in the waves and not in the powerzone so most likely a bow will depower and slowly fall out of the sky in this scenario unless the bar is grabbed quickly
Old 08-21-2006, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigR
Quote:
Huh? How is pushing the bar out to depower the kite (causing it to invert) a product of inexperience?
YES, it is. it is in the way and the amount that the bar is pushed out that causes it to invert. i.e. , flying fast depowered across the powerzone is almost 100% guarranty invert
I dissagree with that.

my switchblades have NEVER not once inverted in mid flight
and i've flown my 12 fully depowerd (past the override ball) in a squall... no problem at all.. but came in after a tack
Old 08-21-2006, 04:19 PM
Can't Re-member

Josh , you were prolly powered a little during that squall I bet , huh?
Quote:
I dissagree with that.

my switchblades have NEVER not once inverted in mid flight
and i've flown my 12 fully depowerd (past the override ball) in a squall... no problem at all.. but came in after a tack
BTW, past the overide ball is not quite fully depowered, against the top end of the rope is

I did not say that riding the bow depowered would invert it ; I SAID pushing the bar out ( quickly ) and then flying it fast across the power zone is what inverts it ( allows airflow on top of the kite ).

SO, riding overpowered and depowered if okaydokay honkaydoray, but just keep the kite relatively overhead and not moving in the middle of the powerzone too depowered

THIS IS DIFFERENT from riding it in the powerzone POWERED or OVERPOWERED, this will not cause inversions

I've kited with my 12m in 30+ kts and my 9m in 40+ with no inversion problems at all because I don't let it depower fully
Old 08-21-2006, 04:28 PM

yeah tru, theres no need to push it all the way to the top.. i've never had to.

i personally think the waroo is most prone to inverting.

also, yeah that squall was FUN :lol:
never jumped so high in my life.. i sent the kite and sheeted in all the way and SOARED, i sheeted out because i was up so high and so long, i didn't think i was comming down! :shock:
Old 08-21-2006, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshTaylor

i personally think the waroo is most prone to inverting.
interesting statement... have you ridden every brand of bow???
or is that just some Best bashing going on :shock:
i believe any flat kite, depowered enough, is flying on its front lines and has the possibility of inverting in its upper wind range, but im no physics major :roll:
Old 08-21-2006, 04:37 PM
Can't Re-member

yep, but the point is that there is no need to sheet ALL the way out when just so a little sheeting out will do ya' as far as gettin' ya depowered enough so you aren't in danger of gettin' lofted.

Most newbies think they have to depower 110%,;, overkill which will invert your kite if you fly it wrong