FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > Lessons From The Hard Side
Connect with Facebook

Old 09-23-2007, 09:39 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

I haven't had problems in the past with manufacturer supplied lines. Such things are possible however. I would talk to your retailer or Cabrinha to get things sorted out.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 09-24-2007, 08:31 AM
Skyway Scott

I think that's pretty rare as well for brand new lines.
Good thing you pulled your QR and came out okay
Old 10-08-2007, 06:47 AM

Some flat kites are easy to land in winds up to and beyond 35 knots. The flat kites that are able to sit on the beach at 3 or 9 without any control input are actually easy to self land safely. In my experience I have done this with Switchblades, Omegas (1 to 1 mode), Waroos and Helix, others may be possible but I have never tried. Xbows, Omega (2 to 1) and Contras will also be able to use this method if you lock the override halfway.

This is how I do it.
1) park the kite on the side of the window (9 or 3) and let the bar go, let the kite settle into a stable position. *make sure your kite can stay there without moving*
2) if the kite will stay there without falling backwards or jumping in the air then you are ready to start self landing.
3) detach leash from yourself
4) grab onto the power strap above the bar
5) detach chicken loop and lay bar on the ground
6) maintaining constant pressure on the front lines climb up both front lines until you get to the kite
7) your kite should stay there the same as when you were hooked into the chicken loop
8) if the kites starts to jump you can let go of the top front line and continue to climb up the bottom front line like you would do if you were activating the leash and climbing up one line to the kite
9) once to the kite, continue to climb up the bridles until you reach the middle of the kite, grab it, turn in over and secure your kite on the ground

It is similar to how Rick was saying to secure the chicken loop to something and then go retrieve the kite. But you can use this method if there is nothing to secure the chicken loop to.

Sorry if it is confusing, it is much easier to demonstrate than to write it down

Mike
kitehousemiami.com
Old 10-09-2007, 08:37 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Thanks for the approach Mike. I would urge all due caution with regard to *make sure your kite can stay there without moving*. Some kites will sit there in some winds while others will not.

I tried this in 18 gusting to about 23 mph last night with an 11 m Waroo Pro. The kite was slowly bouncing.

If this happens, STOP and go find someone to land your kite or an anchor that won't move.

I experimented with pulling in on the two fronts lines slightly but found there was too much tension, with gloves, to reliably be able to work up to the kite. So, I abandoned this approach and prepared to find an anchor to use that technique for solo landing.

Picked my bar up and watched the kite turn into powered loops directly downwind dragging me a ways until I could pop the quick release. It was almost dark and I hadn't noticed the soft, unsheathed chicken loop lines had taken a turn around the bar. Whoops.

Fortunately, I picked an area with a large clear area before trying this thereby avoiding stacked chairs, boats, etc.. Not all kites sit nicely when held by the front lines in all winds. Don't try this with kites that don't just sit there. Also, I noticed by Contra I 14 m had a tendency to roll over downwind in lighter winds in the past even when anchored. Be careful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamike View Post
Some flat kites are easy to land in winds up to and beyond 35 knots. The flat kites that are able to sit on the beach at 3 or 9 without any control input are actually easy to self land safely. In my experience I have done this with Switchblades, Omegas (1 to 1 mode), Waroos and Helix, others may be possible but I have never tried. Xbows, Omega (2 to 1) and Contras will also be able to use this method if you lock the override halfway.

This is how I do it.
1) park the kite on the side of the window (9 or 3) and let the bar go, let the kite settle into a stable position. *make sure your kite can stay there without moving*
2) if the kite will stay there without falling backwards or jumping in the air then you are ready to start self landing.
3) detach leash from yourself
4) grab onto the power strap above the bar
5) detach chicken loop and lay bar on the ground
6) maintaining constant pressure on the front lines climb up both front lines until you get to the kite
7) your kite should stay there the same as when you were hooked into the chicken loop
8) if the kites starts to jump you can let go of the top front line and continue to climb up the bottom front line like you would do if you were activating the leash and climbing up one line to the kite
9) once to the kite, continue to climb up the bridles until you reach the middle of the kite, grab it, turn in over and secure your kite on the ground

It is similar to how Rick was saying to secure the chicken loop to something and then go retrieve the kite. But you can use this method if there is nothing to secure the chicken loop to.

Sorry if it is confusing, it is much easier to demonstrate than to write it down

Mike
kitehousemiami.com

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 10-09-2007, 06:38 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

I got the impression that Mike's technique might have been setup for land purposes, i.e. "maintaining constant pressure on the front lines climb up both front lines until you get to the kite" Although this could easily be done on the water as I am sure you routinely do. I suspect with some kite models it would work better than others. For instance my old Crossbow I, would jump quite a bit, unlike my Switchblade I which is quieter. As I recall the Waroo, not the Waroo Pro, is fairly quiet as well.

I wouldn't try this approach with either a Waroo Pro or Crossbow I, have to check it out with the Switchblade I. I suspect the Contra I would also be pretty quiet as long as it didn't roll downwind. I have no clue about the newer kites.

As far as pulling the kite towards you on a boat, this is something I suspect you have done a lot. At the same time, I can't help but recall the guy, a big, heavy guy who was pulling an old C kite in by ALL FOUR LINES (doh!), over the back of a boat. This was years back in the Keys. The kite relaunched, lifting him off the deck by his pinkie finger until it was ripped off his hand. I understand it was reattached, good thing.

I know it is apples and oranges with the only common factor pulling the kite in. Still, if that puppy powers up for any reason and you get tangled, ouch! Does someone first wrap a wingspan of the lines from one side of the kite, just in case it does relaunch somehow?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 10-09-2007, 09:29 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

I do need to make it out to update the article on your operation. You acquired two new boats just since I put this together seven months ago:

http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=3519

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 10-10-2007, 08:33 AM

To clarify a couple things:
-The method that I described can be done on land by walking up the front lines, or from a boat by pulling the front lines to you.
-It is very important that your kite "sits" on the beach with tension only on your front lines. If your kite jumps or bounces then I would recommend flagging the kite with one line or using the depowering system of the kite that you are using.
-Certain kites are definately more stable sitting than others, the test you did Rick is a good one, park your kite at 3 or 9 and see if it stays there. If it does then walking up you lines should not give you any more pressure than just standing there with your chicken loop attached to you.
-Some kites, including most pulley bar kites can be made to sit on the edge by adjusting the stopper system. Though sometimes this can create more pull from the kite making it harder to walk up the lines.
-it is important to stay on the upwind side of your lines as you walk towards your kite, in case something happens you will be clear of your lines.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:57 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Paul Menta with The Kitehouse just put up two videos showing a couple of approaches to solo landing and drift launching BOW kites off the beach at Key West.

Landing -

Drift Launching -

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 10-12-2007, 07:49 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Paul made these comments about the video clips.

Regarding the solo landing clip:

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul m
yes this works for strong winds, did a few days before in 32 knots......week before almost 40...was alone, so didnt film, when this came up with rick, thought i would show him.....we might have some heavy stuff on monday, if so i will film the same thing, been doing this a few years like that....either way i will get some shots.....beach only and water.
and for the drift launch clip:

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul m
sorry also for the drift....you need not drag lines in waterset up kite near the water, lines above kite. walk down beach with lines, put kite in the water as it drifts walk back wards on the beach, no hands on bar. This is ment for when you have nothing to hook to to do a self launch or as another option, hope it helps!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi