FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > General Discussion > HOW TO START, Kiteboarding Training & Schools > HOW TO START ...
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 08-03-2006, 07:59 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Swimming laps is a great limbering exercise and even a healing one in my experience. Strangely enough swimming in saltwater seems to be more beneficial than fresh for working out some issues. Must have to do with how the body streams out in more bouyant saltwater. If you work up to sprinting in the pool, it is also a good cardio workout. Lastly, at this is a big one, I believe kiteboarders should be watermen to a degree. That is they should be able to hold their own despite exertions in reasonable waves, current and even distance swims. Things happen, right? Developing strong swimming skills with a variety of strokes fits into this.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 08-03-2006, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshTaylor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandelli
Quote:
Originally Posted by enderokc
thanks for the reply, i also have a question on trainer kites. what all do I need to start out flying the trainer kite??
Well, If you really want a trainer kite get a 5m "C" kite. It will be much more realistic and stable in the sky than a 2-3m foil (which are very popular among those whom just cant wait to get their hands on a kite).

Plus you get good at flying the 5m you could bodydrag, then if it got windy enough you could grab a big board and try to get up.

For now get a 5m "C" kite and a harness. Then look into a lesson.

-chris
not smart... go with a foil kite (trainer kite 3m)

with a foil kite, do I still need a harness??
Old 08-03-2006, 10:40 AM

It is possible to use a 5m C kite as a "trainer", however it is MUCH safer to use a foil as a beginner trainer because of the fact that the foil completely collapses and depowers when the bar is released. Also, crashing an inflatable on land will probably lead to it's demise as well.

Be aware that these trainer kites can develop a lot of power and can loft you or drag you down the beach in higher wind speeds....be careful!!

I prefer to use the following trainer kites (all foils) for lessons:

HQ Beemer 3.6m
BEST 2.8m
Newtech 3.6m Ballistic

shop at www.kitemare.com or http://www.oceanextremesports.com/ for a good assortment of products and excellent customer support

I feel that the kites smaller than mentioned above are too twitchy and don't simulate the larger 4 line inflatables as well.

The exception to my comments would be if you have no dryland or open beach to fly a foil: such as in the Keys. In that case investing in a small bow kite might be a better use of your money, since you will probably actually want to use that kite later. Dpeneding on your weight a BEST Waroo 7m might be a good purchase if you go this route....HOWEVER...this said I WOULD STRONGLY SUGGEST A LESSON BEFORE YOU FLY THE KITE........PLEEEEAAASE!!!

In the end, assuming you are planning to kitesurf as the result of any time and money you plan on investing, going forward with a lesson from the beginning will be the fastest and safest way to reach your goals. I'll agree that flying a foil kite on your own before a lesson can be very productive, but it's not an absolute pre-requisite. I still beleive very strngly that most people will really benefit from having a 3m trainer kite (before and after a lesson) in their bag as a learning tool and a fun toy to play and progress with.

AGAIN...please take a lesson as soon as possible to keep yourself and others safe, and help us preserve access to our kitesurfing beaches.

Thanks and be SAFE.
rvillate@msn.com
http://www.kitesurfatlas.com/schools/4winds7seas
Old 08-03-2006, 10:50 AM

I promise I will take lessons!!!! I already have contacted someone and am in the processess of setting a time and place I am from Oklahoma and we have a lake here called Lake Hefner that is one of the best places for windsurfing/kitboarding and its really close to my house There are some people here that kiteboard, but not enough to have a store that sells the equpment or give lessons. so I found someone in the dallas area that might be able to come up here to give lessons. I am hoping it all turns out well!!! I cant wait to start doing this!!

I think after my lessons I will buy some used kites to get me started but I want to get a new harness though. I have found this harness

http://oceanrodeo.com/harness.html

do you know if its a good one to go with??
Old 08-03-2006, 11:33 AM

I have not tried the OR harness, but I've heard several people say that they like it.

Lessons: My advice would be to head to South Padre Island for 2-3 days of lessons. I will be there September thru November if you are interested I cn send you detils on my program. If you want lessons sooner than that, contact Jeff Hoxtell at Air Padre, http://www.airpadrekiteboarding.com/index.php, a great guy and great instructor. Tell him I say hi. (Jeff may have some OR harnesses in the shop)

I have some used kites and gear for sale... if you are interested, send me a PM with your email address and I will send a list
rvillate@msn.com
http://www.kitesurfatlas.com/schools/4winds7seas
Old 08-03-2006, 11:46 AM

that sounds like a great idea, I hear is really nice down there. How far of a drive do you think it is from OKC??
Old 08-03-2006, 11:52 AM

I just looked it up, its about a 12 hour drive. I dont think I will be able to make it because I already have 2 trips planned for the rest of the year. although I may be able to make it down some time next year though.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:00 PM

also I just bought the progression beginner DVD
Old 08-03-2006, 12:28 PM

with the HQ Rush250, do I need a harness for that trainer kite??
Old 03-17-2007, 08:35 PM

Default Hijack

Hey I don't mean to Hijack this thread but I have a question that directly relates to this topic. What is a C kite and a bowtie kite? I used to fly a 6ft Flexifoil power kite. Would that be considered a bowtie kite? Also it didn't have a bar but 2 seperate handles. Will it be hard to transition to a bar?

Thanks! I've learned a lot from this thread already.