FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Tampa Bay Area Lost and Found
Connect with Facebook

Old 12-20-2010, 07:30 AM

Default veterans must set the example ...

I'm not a big guy and as an OG I sure as heck don't look very threatening. I never look forward to talking to someone but I always go do it. I usually start out with "Hey man, I don't mean to be a dik but ... "

Most times I'm talking to our own local riders. Most are much better riders than me but I still man-up and talk with them.

All of us (especially veterans but newer riders too) have to set examples - just last week we had a local guy cutting further and further into the swim zone - a visiting kiter watched him, figured it was OK and went even further into the swim zone. I spoke to both. They were both cool and stayed out.

The way I see it, one of our biggest problems (short of an incident) is JUST ABOUT ANYONE can take a picture these days with their phone and easily send it to the County Commissioner (or Park Ranger). It is pretty hard to defend hard evidence like that. No way are communities going to risk vacationer's $$$ especially in this economy.

ONE LAST THING and ALMOST AS IMPORTANT - just like most of you, I wish I had a dollar for every time a tourist asked me a seemingly dumb question about the sport. BUT we all must be ADVOCATES of kiting ALL THE TIME. Be friendly and courteous. Explain kiting a bit, just don't blow them off and DON'T be rude. These are the people we can influence. They may be the next beach-side condo owner.

OK, sorry about the novel.

Kiter Jo