FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > SE Florida And The Keys Forum > What's happening?
Connect with Facebook

Old 12-01-2007, 02:46 PM

Default Sunny Isles...any issues launching?

Hey,

Anyone know if there is restrictions from launching/kiteing from the beaches in Sunny Isles?
Old 12-02-2007, 09:31 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by motekfischtein View Post
Hey,

Anyone know if there is restrictions from launching/kiteing from the beaches in Sunny Isles?
I am a little out of touch with this area. Hopefully, some local riders will chime in on this. I would avoid launching or landing off any guarded beaches or coming within 100 yards of such beaches while out. Beyond that I don't think there are issues until you go further north of 88 St.. where I think some other restrictions apply.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 12-05-2007, 06:31 PM

Hey, I'm a local at sunny isles since I live there so I can guide you a bit better as far as where yo kite and where not to. Basically sunny isles goes from Halouver beach Park on the south side to Golden beach city on the north side. There are 4 life guard house throughout sunny isles beach, and they do not allow launching in between them. What I mean is you can either go south of the last Guard house which is about 200 yards south of the Sunny isles pier or you can go North of the last one right after the Marcopolo Hotel and Ocean 1 building.
My personal recommendations are as follows. The south side used to be really good, pretty wide beach, rearly any people since there were no building. Now unfortunately there are a couple of buildings under construction. Parking on that side is a bit of a pain if you don't live in one of those buildings. You can park on the north entrance of halouver park although you have to walk a bit, and pass right through the nudist beach (highly not recommended for obvious reasons). Plus the buildings generates a lot of turbulence and no wind spots that you don't want to fly in.
In stead you should go where we normally go which is the north side. The parking is limited and expensive ($2 per hour) and they do control and ticket a lot, so watch out! If the the parking lot is full you can valet at the Marcopolo hotel for about 8 buck. Once you access the beach you'll see the last guard house, say high to the life guards, they are very cool with us, and walk north right passed the last high rise (Ocean1 building). You'll see a black fence right before the golden beach house start. You can setup anywhere between the fence and the second house after the building. Please do not go close to the 3rd big house since we've gotten complaints from them and we do want to keep the cool and the spot. if you keep walking after the 5th house you'll see a big empty spot right before the volleyball court where there is not a house, that spot if cool too.
Once you get out try to stay away from the buildings since they tend to clock the wind a lot and they are close to beach goers, life guards, etc.
Please respect the standars Kitesurfing rules widly posted in this forums, along with safety practices
If you are new to the sport and need a hand please do not hesitate to PM me and we'll be glad to help you out.
Any other questions, please let me know.
Freddy
Old 03-16-2008, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddynmb View Post
Hey, I'm a local at sunny isles since I live there so I can guide you a bit better as far as where yo kite and where not to. Basically sunny isles goes from Halouver beach Park on the south side to Golden beach city on the north side. There are 4 life guard house throughout sunny isles beach, and they do not allow launching in between them. What I mean is you can either go south of the last Guard house which is about 200 yards south of the Sunny isles pier or you can go North of the last one right after the Marcopolo Hotel and Ocean 1 building.
My personal recommendations are as follows. The south side used to be really good, pretty wide beach, rearly any people since there were no building. Now unfortunately there are a couple of buildings under construction. Parking on that side is a bit of a pain if you don't live in one of those buildings. You can park on the north entrance of halouver park although you have to walk a bit, and pass right through the nudist beach (highly not recommended for obvious reasons). Plus the buildings generates a lot of turbulence and no wind spots that you don't want to fly in.
In stead you should go where we normally go which is the north side. The parking is limited and expensive ($2 per hour) and they do control and ticket a lot, so watch out! If the the parking lot is full you can valet at the Marcopolo hotel for about 8 buck. Once you access the beach you'll see the last guard house, say high to the life guards, they are very cool with us, and walk north right passed the last high rise (Ocean1 building). You'll see a black fence right before the golden beach house start. You can setup anywhere between the fence and the second house after the building. Please do not go close to the 3rd big house since we've gotten complaints from them and we do want to keep the cool and the spot. if you keep walking after the 5th house you'll see a big empty spot right before the volleyball court where there is not a house, that spot if cool too.
Once you get out try to stay away from the buildings since they tend to clock the wind a lot and they are close to beach goers, life guards, etc.
Please respect the standars Kitesurfing rules widly posted in this forums, along with safety practices
If you are new to the sport and need a hand please do not hesitate to PM me and we'll be glad to help you out.
Any other questions, please let me know.
Freddy
Thanks...I'll be at the North spot tomorrow.