FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 10-26-2006, 01:30 PM
tomstock

Well, hopefully that's what anyone with some common sense would be doing already. I know it's something I've been doing since I started riding.

As for rules (insurance, launch/land area, helmets, leashes, cert cards) good luck. The only way it's going to ever happen is if the parks get involved, otherwise there is no enforcement.

The leash is a good example. Some lost a kite 2 or 3 times because they weren't using a leash. Obviously someone helped them recover this lost kite, and probably helped them launch again a second and third time.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:17 PM

agreed 100% tom..

and tho i didnt relaunch the guy.. i didnt say anything either..
and i'm not going to let that happen again w/o trying to see if i can offer to help out.

some might not respond to help as well as others.. but i think most just honestly forget or they are new and dont know better...

ive said my piece.

here's a shout out to good winds coming up and a great party this weekend!

after the winds from Monday afternoon I am AMPED to get out and ride. its been MONTHS of sea breezes and light winds.. gimme 25+ baby..

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 10-26-2006, 02:28 PM
tomstock

Well, next time if I'm there, come get me and we'll both walk over and have a chat if someone needs it ... maybe a few more will come along to make it clear we are serious and not just trying to be assholes on our own.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricki View Post
we have already been kicked out of other state parks for not dealing with issues. If there is a problem, it would be good to plan to tackle it in the most effective way feasible.

What steve described is an approach being used or considered for other designated launches with existing problems. These launches are on both private and public property. In time, as access is threatened in other areas, this approach may expand, ideally based upon need.

Is it right for ft. Desoto? That is up to you to decide or more likely leaders among you. Building consensus is important as is action, when and where it is needed. Good luck, you guys have a great thing in desoto, it is worth working to maintain access.

An article largely from a park manager's perspective appears in "parks and recreation" at:
http://www.fksa.org/viewforum.php?f=95
bump
Old 04-15-2011, 10:40 AM

From scanning through and reading everyones post it looks like some thing has to happen to insure that the riding spots stay open. I think that Tom, Bryan, Josh, Steve and SOME others have valid points.

Some of the riders have positive things to say and others just want to immediately shoot others down. Some want to over regulate when others want there to be little to no regulation.

I RESPECT all of it.

The last time I was at EB I had a kiter slam there kite in front of me and I rode right through the middle of there kite. I felt bad bc there kite was wrecked but at the same time I was upset that the beach has gotten so over crowed and unsafe.

Whats the answer?

There has to be a balance between having regulation and not having to pay when you want to go and ride at a public park.

Get a board of people that want to volunteer there time to set regulations and then have the riders of the area vote on what they think is right through online forums.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:06 PM
Can't Re-member

I have my own private beach
Old 04-15-2011, 10:05 PM

Default Great article

http://paullangphotography.com/2008/...e-kiteboarder/
Old 04-15-2011, 10:45 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Steve, I just put it up per your request. I didn't see it until now. As far as childish games, I don't play any and don't plan to tolerate much here. I hope you folks secure access over your way. It is a group project with no one individual or few individuals having much hope of success on their own speaking from personal experience. Consensus building is what it is about. It is easy to say but folks need to focus on the problem, a short list of solutions and make it happen. Splintering into factions will likely defeat such efforts as readily as more wide spread indifference we experience on this coast. Good luck.

p.s. - Paul did put forward some good ideas in his article. I would pass it around and talk about it.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 04-18-2011, 06:05 AM

i'm sorry, but who are you specifically talking about, just call them out so everyone knows... i don't want to refer anyone to a drunken instructor.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:25 PM

I removed my posts out of respect to the local community.

I addressed a legitimate safety concern and park rules issue, and got nothing but personal attacks, threats, and interference with me being able to give a safe lesson- the offenders didn't even have the courtesy to show up to the discussion. Nothing new there.

All parties involved are aware of the issue, and of the future course of action if it continues.

As far as I am concerned it is water under the bridge.

Happy kiting!