Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 03-31-2005, 04:15 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

The following is reposted from kiteforum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico
The pics of the original post are, imo, the best way to jolt people back to the reality that our sport can be lethal, if not practiced with full caution.
A data bank with lots of kite injuries (pictures) would be a good tool for beginners and experts alike, and would help in the promotion of using all possible safety gear (helmets, vests,... )
Anyone know of such a source ?
Nico
PS this post should be revived regularly
Thanks to this rider for going out of his way to spread the benefit of his experience. This came through inconvenience and added distress at a time when he had his hands full with pain, uncertainty about the future, his family and heart felt confusion. Still, despite that he wanted to try to do some good. I believe he has too and in a unique, selfless fashion. I really admire this rider's character and drive. I can't recall the last time photos were sent or offered for circulation much less with encouragement to try to spread lessons from a painful accident even while the victim was in the throws of injury.

With this precident, perhaps people will provide photos in the future. At the same time, some people are worried about the wrong idea being gathered about our sport. They feel that accounts and god forbid, photos, might be seized by foes of kiteboarding and used against it in legal proceedings, etc.. I have looked past this concern to what I have believed for a long time is a more fundamental and important need. That is working to reduce avoidable accidents and incidents in the first place by building awareness of what can go wrong and how to try to avoid it. Some people have chosen to believe that there really isn't a problem with awareness or the need to improve kiteboarding safety practices, fortunately largely historically at this point. Still there was a time when very few thought any of this was a good idea. Given continuing accidents, to all skill levels, I don't see that the need has changed much. I see signs of improvement however, I just don't think we are quite there yet.

I have started updating the KSI again after a long absence. Throughout this time I have continued to collect accident data and occassionally post articles and regularly update and post the Safe Kiteboarding Guidlines to encompass new ideas when I encounter them. So, through time you will see past accounts show up. Still, I think there is some need to continue the database even given the repetitious nature of many accidents. Is there a place for injury photos there?

I can certainly imagine substantial benefits but what do others think about this? What do people think about an accident database that would include graphic photos provided with the consent of the accident victim?

I will continue to post updates on this riders condition and process of healing as time goes on. Thanks for your input Nico.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 05-03-2005, 09:00 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Just heard from the rider and I am very happy to say he is looking much better than when this thread was started. The contrast between the before and after photos is both incredible and telling at the same time. See for yourself below:

Good photo AND good point!

I hope to upload a recent riding shot of our recovered kiteboarder in action on the water soon.

Thanks for staying in touch and keep on riding!

FKA, Inc.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 05-03-2005, 09:00 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Just heard from the rider and I am very happy to say he is looking much better than when this thread was started. The contrast between the before and after photos is both incredible and telling at the same time. See for yourself below:

Good photo AND good point!

I hope to upload a recent riding shot of our recovered kiteboarder in action on the water soon.

Thanks for staying in touch and keep on riding!

FKA, Inc.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 12-04-2005, 04:52 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

I just received some photos of our recovered kiter, ripping loose off Nassau.

One of two very important reasons, (soon to be three!), why the rider is so grateful to have pulled through and recovered from his accident.

Looking good, thanks for sharing your story.

Ride on!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 08-03-2006, 09:03 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

The following is a repost of a response to a question on kiteforum:
http://www.kiteforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2312791

FredBGG mentioned the link to this post and I noticed this question from a while back. Sorry for the slow response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KP
Any suggestions on a Comfortable helmet? I wore a Gath in Fiji and it was very annoying and uncomfortable. And pics would be helpful- Thanx
There are quite a few helmets out there worth a look at this point. One of the more popular is the Protec Ace Wake (NOT the similar looking and slightly cheaper water helmet).

Sweet makes some high end helmets with a composite shell, and interesting retension system. If it reduces the effects of Traumatic Brain Injury, it is a bargain at the price.

Shred Ready makes some interesting lids with advanced shell composites.

Gath has a new helmet, the Gedi, out that I know very little about, still it is worth looking over.

Grateful Heads also makes some helmets with advanced composite shells such as:

Want to learn more, just insert the manufacturer name into the google page that shows up HERE

Interested in retail pricing? Find it at your local kite store. Failing that add "price" and your country into the above search line in addition to the model name of the helmet.

FKA, Inc.

transcribed by;
Rick Iossi