FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 10-22-2006, 08:25 PM

Geeeeeez.. :shock: whenever I launch my kite..that means I want to ride...chattin on the beach to amp your egos ..is soooooo lame...show the shizzle on Z water...actions DO speak louder...show me the dizzle on the water and get off the beach bitches...if your not launchin or landin....your FIRED...have some respect...remember that word..if not look it up!We all have this one thing in common...let it bring us together and not by tangling our lines...
Old 10-22-2006, 09:09 PM

Finally,
Someone speaks up that makes sense-izzle. Thanks for clearing things up... for shizzle!
Old 10-25-2006, 02:39 PM

Old 10-25-2006, 06:18 PM

Old 10-26-2006, 10:08 AM
tomstock

The most important thing I've learned from kiteboarding is that kiteboarders cannot self regulate. They will get banned, and then move on to ride somewhere else until they are banned there too. How many people have tried to regain access at Howard Park beach? I know, there are other places to ride... and there always will be... until all of the good spots are gone.

Face it, we will kill our own sport.

There is a constant supply young egos which makes it impossible to agree on anything or do anything to protect our sport.

I gave up a long time ago when I tried to help "protect our image". We had some journalists hanging out on our forum collecting info for magazine articles when suddenly a civil war errupted ... I tried to filter it out by moderating posts and well you can see how well that worked out. I finally had to shut it down before everyone ended up enemies. That was just a forum.. imagine trying to enforce rules on a beach!

So my conclusion is, why bother. It's like bailing water from a river. There is an endless supply of people who just don't want to agree on anything or who will just ignore the rules.

At one point I wanted to be an instructor and teach people to kiteboard... then I realized that the faster our sport takes off, the quicker we will loose our favorite spots. Is making money on kiteboarding worth loosing our spots? I'd rather work a 9-5 job and have a place to ride than spend a couple of years cranking out students only to have our spots over crowded or lost altogether.

Kiteboarding will not be regulated until it's banned. Don't worry, it'll happen soon.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:57 AM
Flaccid Member

Just 2 more of my cents:

1) Is that Liability insurance is very important in any dangerous to semi-dangerous sport. Not just for the help it provides in keeping "the man" off our back. But, more so in saving you yourself from paying for an accident for the REST OF YOUR LIFE. I don't think it matters if you are very well off or dirt poor. Either way with out some liability protection your ass is very much on the line for the rest of your life.

2) Though I'm not so much for forced regulation. I don't see why people are so against at least having an open line of communication with the Desoto people. Is it fear that even talking to them will have bad consequences? From what I gather they are happy with us being out there. Why not have a line of communication with them?[/u]
Old 10-26-2006, 11:11 AM

guys.. friends.. fellow kite addicts..

Lets not let this thread turn sour.

It has been a long time since I've seen attitude on this board and I think its childish and unacceptable. Keep obviously personal issues off the public threads. Debate is encouraged, sh*t slinging is not.

While I don't agree entirely with Tom's point of view on the forecast of where we are heading.. it's not helping if a good thread with good (and differing) points of view are brought forward turns completely negative.

I am not taking sides or calling anyone out.. just be adults about this stuff.

None of us want to have limits put on our fun. But with the growing number of people that are getting into the sport, some sort of regulation will have to be done. And its going to be on our terms or someone else's ....

Decisions we make as a group today might protect our favorite kiting spots for years to come.

I think we should call a meeting at a local restaurant and get as many of us to come down with ideas and just talk about this stuff. If you have facts and figures or examples .. bring em all! ..

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 10-26-2006, 12:11 PM
tomstock

The problem with forums is that they are all talk.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:38 PM

ya, but you gotta get a good, full conversation going to ensure that all sides are spoken for.

funny thing to me is that is that i know that we are all in agreement on so much of this stuff and we argue over the tiny little details.

i think the first step is that if everyone makes a conscious effort to do their best to go talk to people that are or look to be about to do something unsafe.

it does not happen all the time.. on a busy day there are tons of people out that are all fine kiters and we all might kite a little close to shore or maybe lay our lines out when we should be wrapping them up..

but..

if you see a rider about to launch a kite incorrectly or in an unsafe manner, you should go over and start up a conversation.

I've seen this done with great success.

If you see someone riding without a leash.. do what you can to get them a leash to borrow...

small step for man. giant double kiteloop for a kiteboarder

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 10-26-2006, 12:51 PM

well put Bryan. Thanks.