FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Tampa Bay Events
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 10-29-2006, 01:40 PM

Default Couple items about the race...

First and foremost.. what great day yesterday at Bongos!!!

Everyone involved in making that happen.. Thank you!
Getting to demo gear made my day.

.. on to the race.. 2 things ...

First....
I spoke briefly with Jay about this.. He wants to ensure that EVERY single rider that starts this race is accounted for..

We need to get a volunteer that is not riding that day to offer up their cell phone number as the offical "Calling to say I am OK" line.

There may be a number of people that are not able to finish. We will need each and every rider to call the phone number ASAP and give their name, race position number and say if they are OK or if they might need assistance in getting to Bongos (or home) safely.

Second..
I am not implying that someone might cheat... BUT.. i think someone should do an offical check in at the start. Just to keep it 100% fair for everyone..

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 10-30-2006, 08:23 AM

proper procedure to finish the race was covered in depth by Jay at the party..

kiters MUST cross the finish line, go to beach and set their kite down. someone working the finish line will get the riders card with their race number and will add that to their finish time.

Jay also asked that once you finish the race, you NOT kite until all racers are done to lessen confusion for those working the finish line.. and also to help racers as they come in.

I know they are doing everything they can to correct the problems from last years finish line complaints and issues.

I am just concerned about those that might not be able to make the complete run and ensure they are accounted for ..

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 10-30-2006, 09:54 AM

The race committee is still arranging placement of non-riders for the start and finish lines. We will let everyone know asap so you guys have a contact phone number, know who to find at the finish line, etc. Volunteers for the start and finish line are still welcome to help, so send one of us a PM if you're not riding and can be of assistance 8)
Old 10-30-2006, 10:26 PM

Wasn't there a starting line drawing at bongo's?

I still don't know where I am on that.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:49 AM

Today is the last day to become confirmed for the race. Tomorrow we will be posting the starting lineup at www.tampabaykitemasters.com
Thanks to everyone who came out Saturday night!
Jay
Old 10-31-2006, 08:07 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Excellent point about the required post race check in. They used to require this at the Islamorada Proam windsurfing race around Alligator Light. It was only about a 14 mile roundtrip run but a chunk of that distance was well offshore. People come in, they're tired, forget, whatever. The coast guard has been sent off on wild goose chases many times in the fashion in various parts of the USA. I would be sure to emphasize this with the competitors.

The photos are almost up from the fun party your guys threw on Saturday. It was great to meet so many folks for the first time and see riders again. Looking forward to the downwinder.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi