FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > Kite Events And Competitions > *** Past KB Events! *** > Tampa Bay Kitemasters
Connect with Facebook

Old 02-20-2006, 04:21 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default TAMPA BAY KITEMASTERS RACE

Here is the latest update from Jay sent out today on the race:

Hello Everyone!

I just wanted to contact all the non-local riders, media, and boat captains and give them an early update on the race. As of Monday at noon it appears we may get some great wind out of the NE for this coming weekend.

If this holds true then we will be a go for this weekend (feb 25th/feb26th).

Right now its too early to call but hopefully it will show up on Saturday although our fronts historically are a day behind the official forecast. If this is the case the race will be on Sunday.

This is a pre notice for out-of-towners so you can begin thinking about making plans.

I will send out another update Wednesday. The final decision will probably be made late Thursday.

Keep your fingers crossed and pray for wind.

Thanks

Jay

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 02-20-2006, 04:27 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Jay's original post (less images) about the race:

February 3rd through February 19th, 2006

"The Inaugural TAMPABAY KITEMASTERS RACE kicks off in early February as 20 of the top kitesurfers attempt to conquer the blustery waters of Tampa Bay, Florida. Riders will navigate a tricky 20 mile downwind course from the Gandy Causeway to the South Skyway rest area. The race will be followed the next day by the TAMPABAY BORDERCROSS at the North Skyway riding area.

This event requires riders to maneuver around a set course while at the same time jumping obstacles in their way.

FAQs

How do I sign up?

Go to the registration page and copy all the required questions. Send your information back to: tampabaykiterace@yahoo.com

Be sure to enclose a picture of yourself and brief blog about your riding experience. Registration will be limited to the first 20 competitors.

When does the event take place?

The event window is schedule for February 3rd thru 19th, 2006. This allows for three weekends on which to hold the event. We will make every attempt to hold the race and bordercross on a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday but may need to switch to a weekday if required by weather conditions.

Are there age requirements?

No, anyone may compete. If you are under 18 a legal guardian must accompany you to the kickoff party and sign the release waiver. All riders must be experienced enough to stay upwind, jump obstacles, and be confident in there abilities to traverse open water in difficult situations.

Do I need a rescue boat?

At this time a rescue boat is not required but is HIGHLY recommended. Several vessels will be staged along the course and will trail competitors throughout the race. However, these vessels are under NO requirement to provide you with assistance. You will be required to sign releases stating that you are fully responsible for your own safety.

How do I know when it the event will start?

Registered riders will be notified via email of an expected starting date 2 days prior to event kickoff. The event will kickoff when winds are from the North or East of at least 13 mph. The event will not be held in winds over 25 miles per hour or if the organizers feel there is a substantial risk to rider safety.

When and where is the preparty and afterparty celebration

The preparty will be held at Grace O'Malley's Irish Pub 250 75th Ave , St Petersburg Beach. The expected date is Monday January 30th but stay tuned as this time may change. Riders will have the chance to meet other competitors and fill out necessary forms and waivers. Rider's race jerseys will also be issued at this time.

The after party celebration and awards ceremony will be at Jayson Orkins house in Pinellas Point after the Bordercross Event is completed."

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 02-20-2006, 04:28 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Checkout images from the Boarder Cross Race in high winds at:

Part 1
http://fksa.org/viewtopic.php?t=1169

Part 2
http://fksa.org/viewtopic.php?t=1169

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 02-25-2006, 06:30 PM

Wind for Sunday

All the reports are saying thunderstorms and north to northwest wind until 1. Is the race still a go? I must know cause I can not afford another to come down for another cancelation. If any could please email me back at kitesurfer@earthlink.net id appreciate it.

thanks
broke college student with 3 test this week.
Old 02-25-2006, 06:41 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urfer
Wind for Sunday

All the reports are saying thunderstorms and north to northwest wind until 1. Is the race still a go? I must know cause I can not afford another to come down for another cancelation. If any could please email me back at kitesurfer@earthlink.net id appreciate it.

thanks
broke college student with 3 test this week.
I won't be able to make this one unfortunately and had to call to find out the status. I just spoke with the organizer, Jayson by phone. He says the race for tomorrow is a go.

There could be some storms from what I have heard to have a care out there. It would stink to have problems with squall gusts. I would checkout the color radar, realtime winds and warnings (if any, they don't catch everything).

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 02-25-2006, 08:46 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

This just in from Jayson ...

"2006 TampaBay KiteMasters

Thanks to everyone who made it out to another SPECTATCULAR bordercross held by Neil Hutchinson of X-Rated Kiteboarding. This was the best one so far with exciting action throughout the day.
The LeRoy brothers showed amazing speed and control taking first and second. Local kitesurfer Kevin Reali represented St Pete for 3rd and Alex Bloechinger followed in fourth.

Tomorrow we are set for the final part of the TampaBay KiteMasters. The downwind race will begin from the Gandy Sunday morning. All riders and boats need to be at the causeway by 9 AM. We will hopefully be starting the race at 10 AM sharp but may delay the start to wait for any rain to clear. The forecast is for 17-25 knots from the NNE. Be prepared for possible extreme conditions. The tide is low around 7 AM and filling all day. This means much of the race course (especially the second half) will be shallow, flat, and fast.
A BOARD LEASH IS HIGHLY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!
THE TIDES WILL BE STRONG IN AND OUT OF THE COVES AND IT IS VERY DIFFICULT TO GET BACK TO YOUR BOARD WHEN YOU LOSE IT AND YOU WILL LOSE IT ...GUARANTEED!

Good Night Everyone... see ya in the morning.
jay"

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 02-26-2006, 07:48 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Here is the latest update from Jay:
"Good morning everyone.
Looks like this rain will pass through around 9 to 9:30 this morning. Hopefully once this front passes the wind will switch more northernly.
We will be at the beach around 9:30 am. Expected race start will probably be pushed back to around 11:00 AM.
Please arrive at the beach no later than 10AM.

The wind is expected to be strong and gusty. Please be prepared for challenging conditions.

See y'all at the Gandy soon
jay"

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 02-26-2006, 08:07 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

I just did a check the NWS site at:
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/tbw/html/tbw/

for the Hazard forecast which follows:

"HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TAMPA BAY AREA - RUSKIN FL
509 AM EST SUN FEB 26 2006

GMZ830-850-853-870-873-261600-
TAMPA BAY WATERS-TARPON SPRINGS TO SUWANNEE RIVER OUT 20 NM-
ENGLEWOOD TO TARPON SPRINGS OUT 20 NM-
TARPON SPRINGS TO SUWANNEE RIVER OUT 20 TO 60 NM-
ENGLEWOOD TO TARPON SPRINGS OUT 20 TO 60 NM-
509 AM EST SUN FEB 26 2006

...GUSTY NORTH WINDS BEHIND A STRONG COLD FRONT TODAY...

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR THE GULF WATERS WEST OF
TAMPA BAY THROUGH FORT MYERS.

.DAY ONE...TODAY AND TONIGHT

THUNDERSTORMS: A LINE OF SHOWERS AND STRONG STORMS WILL CROSS THE
WATERS SOUTH OF TAMPA BAY BETWEEN 5 AND 8 AM THIS MORNING. SEE
MARINE STATEMENTS AND WARNINGS FOR MORE INFORMATION.

WINDS: WINDS WILL SHIFT TO NORTH AND INCREASE TO 25 KNOTS AND
GUSTY FOR A TIME LATER THIS MORNING THROUGH THIS AFTERNOON. GALE
FORCE GUSTS WILL PRODUCE LOCALLY ROUGH CONDITIONS AS WELL AS SEAS
UP TO 10 FEET BY AFTERNOON. CONDITIONS WILL REMAIN SOMEWHAT
HAZARDOUS THIS EVENING BUT BEGIN TO IMPROVE OVERNIGHT AS HIGH
PRESSURE QUICKLY BUILDS IN."

Color radar shows the squall line at the leading edge of the front to be passing south of Tampa currently:

http://radblast.wunderground.com/cgi...min=2&delay=30

The regional sat. image:

The ikiitesurf wind record for the Skyway Bridge showed a classic 90 degree frontal wind shift a bit before 9 am with a wind spike to just over 30 mph:
http://www.ikitesurf.com/windandwher...149&siteID=812

Pass-a-grille showed the same thing at about 8 am with close to a 20 mph gust spike:
http://www.ikitesurf.com/windandwher...49&siteID=1428

Checking a bit to the north at Clearwater Beach the wind spiked to around 35 mph+ gusting to 38 mph.
http://www.ikitesurf.com/windandwher...49&siteID=1428

with similar for Dunedin
http://www.ikitesurf.com/windandwher...149&siteID=321

The squalls seem to be passing by current info, keep a weather eye out. The wind is going to be STRONG and gusty. It may change throughout the day.

Proper kite size selection particularly in C kites will take some thought. Be careful upwind of those boats. It would be smart to discuss with the captains where you would like them to be relative to you and the wind. It would not be great to be lofted into one of them. Experience and good judgment are going to count in this one to avoid problems.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 02-27-2006, 06:59 AM

The race was fun and a great learning experience for me. The forcast called for 25 to 30 mph winds. I put up a RRD 10m kite and I was way under powered and ended up making it an endurance race. I really had a great time and I know next time go with the gut instinct and not make my judgments off second hand forcast.

Sorry you couldn't make it out and we will see you next time.

-Chris
Old 02-27-2006, 08:57 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcmoore
The race was fun and a great learning experience for me. The forcast called for 25 to 30 mph winds. I put up a RRD 10m kite and I was way under powered and ended up making it an endurance race. I really had a great time and I know next time go with the gut instinct and not make my judgments off second hand forcast.

Sorry you couldn't make it out and we will see you next time.

-Chris
Glad it was an interesting experience although an underpowered one. This front resembled the one that came through with the last boardercross. You remember the forecast and what the winds did then, stayed high pretty much all day. In this case, the wind changed direction, spiked way up and eased off instead of staying up per the NWS forecast. Depending on when you started checking realtime winds upweather or to the north might have indicated some softening of the wind. The Skyway record stayed up more than others, is this an artifact with the sensor or is it just windier there?

How many riders were in the race? Who were the folks that came in first?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi