FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

Old 08-15-2006, 01:44 PM

Default What gear to get....

Here is the deal, i took my 1st lesson and according to the instructor is did extremely well for the 1st time i ever attempted kiteboarding...he said my 1st time up i actually rode upwind for like 500 meters....

I live in Miami and its not windy yet....since i took the lesson 2 weeks ago if i would have bough all the gear i would not have been able to take it out due to the lack of wind....

I really like the Cabrinha kites...specifically the Contra b\c its for "lite wind" and i want to be able to ride as much as i can...including a huge lake in our neighborhood in land. Also like BEST kites...just dont know what model to get...

I am 6ft tall and weigh 150lb

I dont have the $ right now to buy a new Contra and all the rest of the gear (have not even started to think about a board or its size)....a friend who has be kiting for some time said to just buy a used kite and board for now and then after i have been kiting for like a month go out and buy really good new gear...sounds good to me, ill have some money to spend in 1.5 months...but what used gear to buy??
(i would buy my harness new)

It seems that the BOW kites are the best way to go, that they can depower much more then a C kite and are thus safer?....or should i just go ahead and try and find a used C kite (also size 14?)...dont see to many used bow kites for sale....

what to do, what to buy, what to look for....

please any and all suggestions are greatly appricated...

thanx

-AE
Old 08-15-2006, 02:01 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

I don't know if you saw this response to several of your questions in the August Winds thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickI
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEsco48
how was it with the contra 14...i know its described as a light wind kite....i dont see many other manufactures saying they have a "light wind kite"....im new to kite boarding, have only taken one lesson and from looking around on the web i like the Contra...im based in Miami so i want a kite i can use as much as possible....how much wind do you need to make it worth going out....

how much do you weigh...im at 150...6ft...

Also this winter will be going to Cartagena colombia...from what i have heard the wind is 20knots...will a 14 conta be to big?

thanks
I would get quite a few lessons in before worrying about what kiteS to buy. That is kites plural, you will want at least two if they are bow kites and likely three and perhaps even four if they are C kites ONCE you have moved further along the learning curve. I would not plan on using the same kite for 20 kts. plus in Colombia and for light wind in Florida, particularly while you are learning. With technique, exertion, changing board sizes, etc., basically experience you can milk more range out of a given kite. Still it is usually best, (easier and safer) to use the kite size best suited for actual winds.

Other manufacturers have light wind designated C kites but the Contra may be the first designated bow kite. I weigh quite a bit more than you at 190 lbs. That usually equates to about a kite size, perhaps more particularly while you are learning.

Supposedly, the Contra doesn't like winds much above 18 kts all that much compared to the Switchblades. You can go higher than 18 kts. with it in the fashon of bow kites, your jumping efficiency may drop off is all. It is intended to excel in lightwinds. I have heard some contrary opinions on this by the way. One guy said he nailed his highest jump to date on a Contra 12 m. For jumping, still down the road for you at this point, the Switchblades go off in 20 kts. delivering impressive jump performance, a 12 m in my case. Perhaps a Contra 12 m and Switchblade 9 m? I would try to demo various kites you are interested in before buying. Repeating, I would get more quality instruction before focusing on what you need to buy. It is premature in my opinion as is perhaps my focusing on jumping characteristics.
You might want to talk to your instructor after looking over the following article to make sure you can get all the essential info/experience that he can offer. Did you cover how to self rescue, solo land, pick a good launch area, rules of the road, weather, solo launching, emergency scenarios, hand signals, safety gear, etc.. Newbies have been killed and maimed for not knowing this stuff. Far more have simply destroyed their new kites however. I could show you how to fly a plane in 10 minutes. Are you ready to land?

http://fksa.org/viewtopic.php?t=829

If you have enough lessons, you should have a good idea as to what type and size kites might work best for you. You should know that a 14 m C kite is smaller and potentially less powerful than a 14 m flat kite. A 14 m flat kite might be more similar to a 17 m C kite. For winter winds down here perhaps a 7 or 9 m and 12 m in flat kites for an experienced 150 lb. rider. In C kites, perhaps three sizes out of the following, 7, 9, 11, 14 m for the same guy. It depends what sort of winds you will be trying to ride in. One thing is for sure, you don't want to risk being overpowered until you develop some reasonable experience kiting and know how to deal with it. Staying with side to sideonshore winds less than 20 mph while you are getting into it also makes good sense.

Lakes don't provide a very good venue for kiting if you have a coast nearby. The wind can be too gusty. For that reason lake riding isn't all that popular in much of Florida.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 08-15-2006, 09:08 PM

Thanx...for some reason i missed the reply to the august post...thanx for the advice....im definitely going to take more lessons...

where are you located in Florida?

-AE
Old 08-16-2006, 08:18 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Good choice. Some other reasons to pursue quality instruction appear at:

http://fksa.org/viewtopic.php?t=1218

I am down in SE Florida, wind waiting with the rest. It hasn't been all that bad of a summer for wind on balance though.