FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > Kite Events And Competitions > *** Past KB Events! *** > Pryde Group Americas Product Presentations
Connect with Facebook

Old 08-04-2015, 10:04 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default 2016 PGA Product Presentation II - Double Agent Hydrofoil!

Back to the Bahamas for a look at an exciting new product from Cabrinha ...

It is the Double Agent, Cabrinha's low cost, aluminum foil with composite wings.
Reports are coming in that this beginner hydrofoil is unusually easy to learn to use. Audrey and Jens graciously pose with this exciting new board.

Todd Gréaux illustrates the secret of the board's remarkable ease of performance. The board is like a twin tip-like board in some respects. Most hydrofoil boards today are fairly thick with accompanying flotation. This aspect makes it difficult for the new hydrofoiler to learn to waterstart, sometimes a lot! I experienced this first person while being pummeled by a 2003 antique Rush Randle heavy metal hydrofoil. The inability to easily place the board for water starting, imagine tt vs. fat surfboard, can really slow down your progress. No problem with that here which is great news for new foilers. Todd is the VP of Sales of the Pryde Group Americas and guru of all things Cabrinha at the firm.

Here is an introductory video to his great new hydrofoil board from Cabrinha.

and the Designer Notes on the Double Agent

Some information about the Double Agent.

Pete Cabrinha shows off the new gear at the meeting. This package provides two boards in one.

You can removed some fastenings and have a directional board with two, three or no foot straps. Considering the lot can fit into a golf bag for flying, this is a great advantage for traveling kiteboarders.

Todd shows off that thin board.

The kneel or riser joins with the deck.

The quad fin setup for control for what may be those rare times when the board is on the water.

When you think hydrofoil wings, think of aspects of this eagle ray. Things like shape, surface area, taper, placement and a good deal more. All parameters the designers and testers have to get a solid handle on. Your role is much easier and fun, you just need to ride it and remember to stop at some point.

I asked Damo LeRoy for his impressions about the Double Agent. You may know that Damo has been big into racing foils before they started to take off in competitive kiting. He told me his impression and that of many other kiters is that the Double Agent is the easiest hydrofoil to learn on today. This has to do with the narrow, ft-like board. He said it is intended to be an entry level hydrofoil but even as currently configured he is readily boosting mega kite loops, handle-passes and KGB's. Damo describes it as a "free-ride hydrofoil." He said if you were into pure racing you might want something with wings or planning surfaces designed for that purpose in mind. He said that Cabrinha is planning on releasing interchangeable higher performance wings for the Double Agent to allow kiters to grow with this hydrofoil. He said Cabrinha entered the market at the time they felt best to deliver a reliable, excellent performing product at a good price. I understand the hydrofoil and board are to be priced around $1749 USD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEmna1rkPDI

While I was shooting the full moon, volcano kite effects, bonfires, green lights on people, etc. two women walked up the beach. I asked if I could take a picture of them to which they said sure. Damo being a great sport joined in when I asked him to.

It is a scenic place.

Please have a look back at this first post as I will be adding some more content in the next short while.

See you from Port Lucaya, we'll be back soon with another look at great water gear for 2016 brought to you by Pryde Group Americas!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 05-03-2016 at 12:44 PM.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:54 AM

Default Cost

At $1,749 I will not be buying one anytime soon. If they could get the price closer to $1k, I might consider buying one.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:12 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
At $1,749 I will not be buying one anytime soon. If they could get the price closer to $1k, I might consider buying one.
Hydrofoils have been a lot more expensive, Lift boards are still listed for about $2800. Some used foil boards might get down to that price at some point. I think the market will need a great deal more foilboarders and unit sold before retail prices drop to that level.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 08-05-2015, 09:25 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Be sure to visit all the articles prepared for this marvelous event including:

2016 PGA Product Presentation I - 2015 PGA Bahamian Dealer Meeting I - Great Water Gear, Rum & Bush Crack
http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=12348

More articles will be going up over time so stop back by again.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi