FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 03-12-2008, 08:50 PM

Default relaunch

I talked to this rider yesterday he said the kite was leading edge down in this case all you have to do is pull the front lines and the kite will come straight up off the water. I was over in naples sat and had 2 6 nanos and one 9 nano out all day and nobody had trouble relaunching the kites the kites just ruled the waves and 40mph gusts. I had a 120lb kid on the 6 and a twintip and at the same time i had a guy who was 215 riding a surfboard. when my brother blows by you guys on the 6 nano and surfboard strappless in the race you will see how powerful the 6 is
Old 03-12-2008, 09:12 PM
Tom Stock

I am not doubting that the nano kite rides well.

Problem with this kite seems to be that if you swim towards it or let the lines go slack for a moment while relaunching, it'll fly off the water upside down. If you don't then baby it it'll turn into a pretzel, invert, and flip through the lines and land face down forcing you to swim in to sort it all out.

I think something in the bridles are not correct in the design.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:35 PM

a note on the rev's safety system.... If you have too many twists in the front lines (3 to 5 is about all it takes, maybe even less) it will NOT flag out on the safety bungee line, and the front lines are almost impossible to untwist with that 2 part grey rope slingshot uses. Unless of course, you do the same trick going the opposite way . This can be a sketchy situation!!! Personally i love the cab switchblades. I have a SB2 16m, SB3 12m and soon a SB3 8m. very user friendly, super stable and predictable. I have flown a few different kites, defintetly not enough to be at all critical of any brand, but i found what works for me and stuck with it. As far as unhooking goes i think 1:1 is easier. There's less bar pressure and you don't have to depower the kite as much prior to unhooking, or at least that's my experience.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:39 PM

Alright, alright... focus on Dan's topic... this looks like a productive thread and I'm now in the market as well for a 9 to advance my riding in higher winds...

As a guy who's owned three different Cabrinha's, crossbows, and switchblade2 and loved them, got to say my Flexifoil 12m is a booster... love the kite and very comfortable riding it... Props to Flexi and Cabrinha for safe kites... most of you know how cautious I am from launch to land...

Also had the pleasure of demoing the Nemesis thanks to Best, Brandon and Stacey... very good kite as well Dan.

As for unhooked... have to say Im not there yet so I'll look to you guys for some input...

And by the way, Hauss could kiteloop on anything... love to watch he ride at LP.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:14 AM

Woodson, I was hoping someone would comment on the Atom. I rode your kite before it was yours and I actually liked it alot, can anyone confirm how well the atom is unhooked?
Old 03-13-2008, 06:42 AM

just FYI, we all know i suck but i've never had much trouble relaunching the nano (which of course i have to do a lot cuz i suck)

Danny. Everyone has opinions on what works best for them and yes, hearing about opinions is helpful. BUT i think you should just make it a habit to try other people's kites out when you're at the beach and see if YOU like how it performs. We're lucky enough to have examples of so many different kites around here, might as well take advantage of it, right?
Old 03-13-2008, 07:18 AM
Tom Stock

It must not have been a 2008...

Anyway, this is a thread asking about kites good for unhooking so lets hear from more unhooking riders... there are a few more on here...

Last edited by Tom Stock; 03-13-2008 at 08:16 AM.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:33 AM

hey danny, you should give my 5 liners a try next time you are out... you just might change your mind.....
maybe fri at eb or sat at sb
Old 03-13-2008, 08:35 AM

I may have to take you up on that Danny. I'll probably be at those spots as well.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:54 PM
Skyway Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimal8199 View Post
Woodson, I was hoping someone would comment on the Atom. I rode your kite before it was yours and I actually liked it alot, can anyone confirm how well the atom is unhooked?
The Atom absolutely rocks, in all respects, including unhooking. Imo the Flexis are one of (if not the) ultimate unhook kite. Unhooking on one is simply heaven. Exceptionally smooth lift off of the water and a predictable and smooth flight. Some other kites are much more aggressive and possibly "exciting", but the Flexis are just "dependable and predictable".
BTW, I do think lighter guys notice things more than heavy guys. So I do think I notice stuff Tom may not just because I am only 155. It may not matter much for a 200 pounder. I can get thrown around a lot easier than bigger guys.

Anyway, when Billy shows up with his kites, all you have to do is take note of how other guys (good riders) are hopping on them and not wanting to give them back. It's funny at times.
I was about to get the 9m Atom when I got the Waroo.

Keep in mind that the relaunch on the Flexi isn't in the same ballpark as the Rev or the Cabs. Those kites are sort of "silly easy". The Flexi takes a little understanding to relaunch. It's still relatively easy compared to some others.

I have an Ion2 12.5 in the mail. You can demo it Saturday at Sunset, Danny.
I personally think getting advice from people with some time on the water is useful, but nothing beats a demo.
Maybe Dave can come over for another demo, too.