FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 06-26-2006, 07:06 PM

it hit!

pretty much dead on shore.. slight side-on.

got some great riding in today.. got there and rigged by 3pm.. rode for about an hour or so it seemed by myself.. then the floodgates opened and toby, jayson, billy, gary, danny, victoria and some others that i know were there but i am very very very bad w/ names. most rode 16+.. danny tearing it up on the 21 nem. i am still absolutely amazed at the range of this freaking 12m waroo.. i would not say i was litt by any means but after a couple power strokes to build boardspeed I was off to the races.. seriously, the range is incredible.

billy tore it up as always.

some guys showed up late and tried to launch a 15m old cab kite. many of us just stood there watching.. waiting for the kite to land in the trees.. there was not enough wind to really be too worried but i think after the second mis-launch someone finally had to step in. Billy did the honors and instead of giving them a hard time (which is what i would have done), he put down his kite and gave them about a half hour or more of free lessons on how to properly rig and launch and fly their kite. class act all the way.

and Toby was rockin his new 17.5.. flying upwind.
seriously man, i think that 25.5 youve been putting is just too damn big and has been pulling you down wind. the wind today is about the same as its been for quite some time that you've been learning.. the kite you were flying today was just right for your size. thats just my 2 cents.

im tired and i forgot to wear sunscreen. ugh.

-B

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 06-26-2006, 07:34 PM
Can't Re-member

yeah , U will find anything much over 20M will just pull you downwind unless you ride it very efficiently, i.e. extend your arms so that you are balanced at almost being depowered. that's the secret to upwind on huge kites.

Bryan , I have a sneaky suspiscion that your 12m waroo is closer in size to a 14m kite. you should try laying them on top of each other and see.

Yeah it rocked at BS today , hopefully tomm. we get more of the same
Old 06-26-2006, 07:49 PM

it looks exactly like my 15m kite when you are looking up from a riding position.. the bow design just gets rid of the extraneous wingtips.. the projected area is def. like a 14 or 15m.

thing is its feather light and faster than i can explain. moves like a 9m or smaller C.

i have not ridden a 14 or 16 waroo, but would love to check them out..

then again i really want to check out a 15 ION. next time i see someone sportin' one, im going to beg for a session.

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 06-26-2006, 09:04 PM
E-Bone

I don't know about a whole session, but you can take my Ion for a spin.

Thanks for the 411. Sorry I missed the crew today but I had some stuff to get done today that could not wait. Maybe next time.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:34 PM

Bryan, I completely agree with you and have considered selling the 25.5 and picking up a 15 Ion so I could fly bows when I want and C's when I want to because I think they both have their advantages but am not sure that the price I could get would make it worth selling the machine... Plus, there ARE those days where the 25.5 is the only thing that will fly although they are very few and far between...

That being said, today was the first day I flew the 17.5 M Machine and it is by FAR my favorite kite that I have flown yet. I haven't flown a bow yet so hopefully I can soon to see if it would be worth buying one...kind of cautious because I don't want to get confused when riding one and the other...I guess I'll find out soon!!!

As for helping the guy out who was trying to launch the Cabrinha, yeah you can look at it that way that newbies have no business at the backside. But today Billy made a great point. He said he would rather help someone who has obviously decided that they are going to launch their kite rather than sit back, warn them about their kite getting torn and either being able to say "I hate to say I told you so, now go see Keith at Advanced Sails to fix your kite..." or having to make the 911 cell phone call. I'm with Bill. This sport is so cool because it isn't so cutthroat like other watersports are...I hope we can keep it that way and be cool to our newbies...they will be your bros real soon!

I started watching and I am kinda unhappy with myself for that. The good thing is that EVERYONE at the sesh helped Bill out eventually and helped out a future friend...
Old 06-27-2006, 02:25 AM

I was in a really bad mood when I saw the wind blowing and I couldn't make it out. Grrrrrr :evil:

Looks like I missed another great session.

Toby, feel free t try out my ION next time you see me.

-Chris
Old 06-27-2006, 08:50 AM

Thanks Chris, I'm all about it!!! 8)
Old 06-27-2006, 08:56 AM

hey chris, better get a move on it, i was hitting my unhooked back rolls yesterday, i would have tried the F-16 but i was on a 21m :shock:
im also going to start trying handlepasses, it would be a lot easier if i had a flat kite :?
Old 06-27-2006, 08:59 AM

Crap!!!. Anyone know of a good divorce lawyer. LOL

Danny I can help you with your flat Kite. I have some sissors that will do the trick.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno
hey chris, better get a move on it, i was hitting my unhooked back rolls yesterday, i would have tried the F-16 but i was on a 21m :shock:
im also going to start trying handlepasses, it would be a lot easier if i had a flat kite :?
it's alot harder then you think.

I finally landed my first handle pass during alberto

hoped to blind and passed it. no biggie, but progress.

Flat kites are actually harder to do technical tricks on, because you get more of a constant pull.

the only good thing is attatching your leash to the CL, and you won't have to walk in because your lines are all F'ed up

let go of the bar and the kite just depowers and slowly falls to the edge of the window
grab the bar and relaunch it at the edge of the window.

thats a good advantage, the 5th line the kite falls straight into the power zone.