FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 04-05-2006, 12:10 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default BEST ... Flat water session?

How about it?

- when was it
- what were you on
- how was the wind
- what things went through your head
- and what made it so special

While we are wind waiting, why not put us there?

You can guess what the next question might be but hold off. Let's hear about those epic calm water sessions.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 04-05-2006, 12:39 PM

One of my all time favorite was from hurricane katrina. It was at EB and the water was only 6 in deep. But it was blowing 50 to 60 I was on a 4m inflatable. The best part was the water was butter because the water was so low. There were barely any ripples.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:23 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnwar4586
One of my all time favorite was from hurricane katrina. It was at EB and the water was only 6 in deep. But it was blowing 50 to 60 I was on a 4m inflatable. The best part was the water was butter because the water was so low. There were barely any ripples.
Amazing. Was the gust range only about 10 mph then? How did the 4 m LEI handle? Did you boost any monster jumps or just haul out at hyperspeed? What was the sky like? Sometimes tropical systems can toss out some really unusual light and sky colors. Katrina did as it passed over Boca Raton.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 04-05-2006, 01:51 PM

i think ONE of my favorite flat water sessions was on the inside of shell island during a coldfront, offshore winds, butter flat water.

the way the beach was shaped it was safe, we also had eagles dux boat there.

also another one of my favorite sessions was after i got done with the 20 mile downwinder for the tampa bay kite masters, riding at north skyway.

KITE LOOP!
Old 04-05-2006, 06:31 PM

It was actually partly cloudly, with blue sky. The kite was quite squirley but fun. I boosted a few big ones but a kite that small dosent have that much loft so you kinda fell hard. And yes I was litt outta my mind on that kite hauling ass.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:31 AM

My best so far was a few weeks ago at North Skyway at a pre-dawn session. Full moon night, rigging in the dark, strong NE wind.. 20+. On the water by 5:45 as the full moon was dropping to the west. Sun rising from the East. Low tide made some amazing runs from the small bridge to the sandbar. Skimming across 6 in of water at amazing speeds.
Rock steady wind made for effortless kiting. Really just got to enjoy the entire morning. All there were completely stoked..

Amazing day. Many in Florida are.. but this one stands out due to the near perfect conditions....

-Bryan
Old 04-06-2006, 07:03 PM

Most memorable for me was theSouth Skyway,new 17.5 machine and the Glide, riding circles around the sandbar for the first time.Behind the sandbar is the flattest water I have ridden....Shell Island is also a goodie, East beach, Cypress, North Skyway, etc., etc,etc.....
Tampa Bay kicks ass anywhere you ride!!!!
Old 04-06-2006, 08:36 PM
E-Bone

My best flat water session was riding the flats off of Key West with Paul Menta, Eddie Toy, and Jimbo Manning on 12/19/2003. Menta was just getting the Kitehouse started and we cruised out there in a fricking rowboat. I was nervous as we surfed waves on the boat as we came through the harbor. I thought I was gonna die.

Once we got there, though, it was all world, with 17-19 solid up top and GLASS for as far as the eye could see, aside from the 50 foot wide channel cutting through the place. The big joke that day was to sneak up and throw jumps over da' Bone. Everytime I looked up, someone was boosting 20 feet over me.

The best part of the session came when a Coast Guard vessel came cruising up the channel. Those on board were stoked by the red, while, and blue kite I had in the air.

If you ever get the chance to charge the flats with Menta, do it. It is so worth it.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:16 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Great stories, keep them coming. As an aside on Key West and The Kitehouse, there is a heavily illustrated article on the two from a kiteboarding perspective at the link below. It is fun out in the flats to be sure.

http://fksa.org/viewtopic.php?t=618

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 04-06-2006, 10:57 PM

Quote:
The best part of the session came when a Coast Guard vessel came cruising up the channel
assing night sesh we got spottlighted by chopper coasties out there.
talbott told us they go out there every week at that time<<<training and probly just havn' fun

lassing is the flatest water in st pete