FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 02-15-2007, 02:04 PM

Default Aloha from The Kite House

Aloha everyone, coming down to key west.

Depending on what you do, i would like to offer you the use of our house boat as a base, and you can ride the flats there, it isnt as far as where we teach, and would probley be good to have a base camp.

Sunday and monday looks good.
any questions please ask or call 305 797 0746

we teach up in the flats as well, so that area we are at is restrcted, but i can show you plenty more sand spots...its huge!

please respect the wild life and the enviorment

i am hopefully going to be doing speed runs on sunday pm and monday am....my top speeds are 60 mph now......500 meter is 50.5 miles per hour.

I also am chef and will give you the vip cards for dinner on Duval street for grandcafekeywest.com

We will be glad to show you the night time oylimpics as well!

aloha Paul
Old 02-15-2007, 03:03 PM

Thumbs up

Paul-
thank you for your offer! we will definitely take you up on it. How should we hook up with you? I will take your number and give you a call on the way down. we will be arriving late friday night and are looking forward to riding all weekend. Most of us will be down until tuesday afternoon. We will have a boat and a ski with us, but I know that where there are flats there are shallows, so you as a guide would be much appreciated by all. The houseboat sounds great! It is going to be a blast

All of the riders that are coming down are between intermediate to advanced except for one (me) who will be under supervised instruction and will hopefully be confidently up and riding somewhat upwind by the time we leave!

my number is 813-454-9005 so if you go out saturday before we get ahold of you, you can guide us out. No GPS but I have a chart, so just let me know.

looking forward to hanging out. I lived on big pine for a year three years ago and I miss it terribly!

Thanks again paul!

Last edited by amber; 02-16-2007 at 08:59 AM.
Old 02-16-2007, 06:39 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Sounds like you folks have a great weekend laid on. Hope the wind gods deliver prime stuff for your visit. Paul is definitely a good guy to hook up with when visiting the flats.

Something that I haven't mentioned in the past, forgot, but is worth mentioning now. It isn't all that hard to get marooned out in parts of the Flats around low tide. The channels aren't all that well marked and despite being well offshore there still is some significant tidal variation. We came back around dusk one time and ended up doing the Volga boatman thing pulling the boat around for about an anxious hour hoping to find deeper water in failing light. We were successful fortunately. Also, there is a large restricted bird sanctuary out there to avoid. Bird conservation has threatened access in a number of places when guys rode in areas best avoided.

Think about visiting the Grand, it is a great setting and Paul and his crew put on an excellent dinner. I was first treated to Che Paul's culinary skills in La Parguera, PR years ago. Quite a treat, he even coordinated a town wide power outage at the conclusion of dinner to improve the view!

Have a blast on Bone Island!

Some shots from the island ...
http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=120
http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=468
http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=126

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 02-16-2007, 09:21 AM

Default Thanks Paul!!!

Hey Paul, just wanted to thank you for your kind offers and hospitality. Very cool. We'll give you a call when we get down so we can try and meet up sometime Saturday morning. I am also pretty amped up to see these speed runs, I love to ride overpowered, nothing like you have planned of course and it sounds like you are gonna be MOVING!!! Thanks again bro, see you tomorrow!

Toby
Old 02-20-2007, 08:16 AM

Default Wow

I just got back from the keys late last night. I just want to say a HUGE thanks to Paul and Nick from the Kitehouse. They are two of the coolest guys I have meet in a long time.

I had the best and craziest session on the HUGE grass flats down there on Sunday. I have never boosted so high and went so fast. I was SUPER LIT on my 9 meter. I think could have flown a 5 meter kite and still been lit. One of the guys had a wind meter on his boat and was tracking the wind that day. He said it got up to 44 knots and held around 35 knots all day! MAN IT WAS FREAKING SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again Paul and Nick! Hope your break your record Paul and take some birds out at the same time!!!!! LOL

RS
Old 02-20-2007, 06:28 PM

Thumbs up Props To The Kitehouse Key West!!!

Yeah, thanks Paul, Nick & Co. for making it a GREAT trip! Very helpful, SWEET hookup with the VIP treatment at the restaurant and just want to really thank you guys for the memories! And I can't believe I was riding a 7 meter Fuel on Saturday!!!

Oh yeah Paul, sorry about the bird house that we set up on the houseboat!!!

Take care guys and thanks a TON!!!

Toby

PS - Paul, I'll be giving you a call in the next few days, we never got a chance to talk that night at the restaurant...
Old 02-20-2007, 08:25 PM

awesome awesome trip

going back next weekend.

lol

tow ups are sick
Old 02-21-2007, 08:28 AM
invisible

Nice. Wind was similar here on Sun, gusting to 40, nice waves.

Last edited by invisible; 02-21-2007 at 12:03 PM.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:30 AM

Wink

Thanks for the sample wind chart bro!!!
Old 02-21-2007, 10:20 AM

Talking

i know its getting redundant, but thanks to paul and the kitehouse for showing us true hospitality. Dinner was AMAZING and the non-riders DEFINITELY appreciated the houseboat on sunday when it was freezing outside and it ended up making a great place to take pics of the boyz strutting their stuff on the flats. Other than boat trouble and the fact that I didn't really get to ride, it was a great trip. i can't wait to play with the big kids.

Thanks for the memories and I'm glad the dying stingray didn't give us an encore of steve irwin's fatal dive. Plus, it was fun watching shawn get caught up in the bird's fishing line.