FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 02-18-2008, 07:07 PM

Default uneven lines

One of my lines(left one) on a waroo 07 bar is just a tad stretched and uneven with the right line.The difference is maybe an inch or so. What do I do to compensate? Thanks.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:38 PM
Skyway Scott

If you want to even out (for now) try adding a short piece of pig tail or something to the shortest line. It's probably a temporary fix. Is it the center line? Make sure the center lines are exactly the same when done, if so.
An inch or two on a front line makes a very big difference and is hard to compensate for while riding (especially unhooked with both hands in the middle) or at least a pain in the butt on the one side that keeps wanting to go in the water, then you turn around and it seems okay... maybe wanting to rise a little.

I think Best is working on getting an upgraded line option this season, because even Simon of Best admitted the stock line leaves room for improvement. I don't have stock line on my bars, I use Q line. Riding Tom's kite yesterday reminded me why.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:06 PM

no its one of the steering lines(red one). kite sits stable at neutral and doesnt seem to pull one way or the other but i was just checking them tonight and they arent quite even. Maybe ok to leave as is?

Reason I checked them was I was on the 15 waroo yesterday and if I wiped out and let go of the bar the kite wouldnt slowly fall out of the sky but rather it would scream across the window and drag me like a rag doll until the kite hit the water.
My contra 14 is in the shop and ive been on this kite (contra)only pretty much the whole season-when I let go of the bar on that kite it really depowers to almost zero with little to no pull. Waroo is a much different story-maybe just not used to it.. Seemed lots faster than the contra too.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:17 PM
Tom Stock

Yeah it's common.. they stretch like crazy. Most bars have adjustment knots to adjust for line stretch. A lot of old schoolers replace the front lines with Q-line, and save the front lines as a backup set of back lines.

Q-line will last 3 or more seasons...technically forever because you can tie it together when it breaks. Stock china line will last one a season if you are lucky and don't ride a lot, but you'll need to replace the whole set when one breaks.

Problem is Q-line feels like 12 gauge copper wire. But it's great for down winders because you know you can repair line breaks without issue.

One of my front lines stretched after doing a bunch of kite loops... (when looping to the right, the left one stretches). I gave my kite to Bryan, who handed it to Scott, who promptly tried an s-bend... when he looked down at the water, the kite looped full power without warning...

I was a little upset that he was giving my kite a bath

Until I saw how pissed he was because it drilled him like a little rag doll.

Sorry buddy lol. Should've warned you about that stretched line.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:40 AM

If the lines are still fairly new and appear in good condition you can stretch the short one to match the longer one. I take a pice of leader line and pass it through the end of all the lines then tie the leader line around a fixed object. find the short line and really lean back on it. recheck and repeat as needed. once they stretch they tend to settle in at one lenght for the rest of the season.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:25 AM

thanks-Ill give stretching the other line a try
Old 02-19-2008, 06:48 AM
Skyway Scott

You are getting dragged across the water when you release the bar? Yikes.... that's odd.
Is the stopper ball locked down or something? Is it an 08 or 07 Waroo? I can't imagine the 07 15m Waroo being faster than many kites, including the 07 Contra.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:56 AM

Its an 07. Maybe I'm just not used to it like I said i've been on the contra all winter. Someone else needs to ride it thats familiar with waroos . probably just me
Old 02-19-2008, 09:16 AM
Tom Stock

Sounds like you may not be using a bar with enough throw. Is it a waroo bar?

Waroos have no bar pulleys so they need a lot of bar throw to depower.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:20 AM

Stock waroo bar. Like I said i am used to the pretty much 100% depower of the contra letting go of the bar. Dont think its quite the same with the waroo. i had my rear lines on the second knot in from the end(end of the line not the kite end), and it was a pretty windy day I definitely felt really powered on that 15 so that may have something to do with it too.