FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > KITEBOARDING AT ... launches, precautions, SCHOOLS, SHOPS, meets, local groups and more > Northwest Florida
Connect with Facebook

View Poll Results: Do you want a new Tampa Bay/St. Pete Forum to be created here?
Yes 10 100.00%
No 0 0%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-14-2006, 09:34 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default A NEW Tampa Bay Forum On This Site

There are a lot of riders in the Tampa Bay area. I am thinking about setting up a Tampa Bay Forum in addition to the other forums for the state of Florida. It would take the place of the Northwest Florida forum for Bay riders.

Also, I think multiple moderators would help out for the new forum. Eagle has been a moderator on the site for over a year and has agreed to stay on. Raul, whom I've known for seven years has agreed to be another moderator. When I put these forums together a couple of years ago, I thought about having even 4 moderators per site. The moderators would work together in keeping things going. What would you think about that for the Tampa Bay forum?

If you have names that you would like to suggest for the moderator, please post them or PM them to ricki. I will put together a poll to vote on the other two moderators.

We all have lives and real jobs, the duties of moderators should be fairly limited. Things like fielding questions, focusing discussions, tossing in ideas and on the odd ocassion collectively dealing with questionable posts. We have to show a lot of restaint and tolerence in these forums for them to work well. With multiple moderators, the burden doesn't fall on any one individual.

What about a name? Does Tampa Bay work or would you prefer St. Petersburg Forum or ?

Finally, on this subject of names, what would you think about using real names instead of screen names for posts?

What do you think?
Old 03-14-2006, 10:05 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

A few more questions were added to the post above.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:18 AM

If you do create a new forum for our local I would suggest calling it the Kitesurf St Petersburg Forum, or something like that. In actuality 90% of the riding here is done off the beaches & shores of St Pete. Just a thought.

I believe that any moderators should be individuals who do not have any financial interest in the sport so that the forum moderator remains unbiased and cannot do things like deleting posts that conflict with any personal greed.

Also, I think it would be good if at least 2-3 people unbiased moderators agreed on what was an acceptable or unacceptable post, as well as agreeing on other moderator actions that will effect the integrity of the forum.

Raul seems like a good candidate.

PS I think using real names is a better, or at least having it in your profile...and that doesn't mean using goofy made up names as your last name in the profile.
rvillate@msn.com
http://www.kitesurfatlas.com/schools/4winds7seas
Old 03-14-2006, 10:23 AM

Having multiple moderators is an excellent idea and I look forward to working with everyone to ensure this continues to be a proactive and positive resource for our community.

Regarding the name, something along the lines of Bay area or Tampa/St. Pete forums would suffice. Our community consists of riders from as far south as Englewood, Orlando, Port Richey and a place in the sticks called Lutz.

E
Old 03-14-2006, 10:26 AM

A place in the sticks called Lutz.. This is where my great kite skills derived from. :P
Old 03-14-2006, 10:45 AM
Skyway Scott

Rick,

I only recently discovered this site (hard to believe, I know) maybe a month ago. I found it when you linked photos of KBX in my email to it. When I did ultimately find it, I post about it on FLKitesurf, singing its praises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyway Scott
I just recently found this site (hard to believe?) cuz of the Miami boardercross.
I am not much of a reader about kiting, I just like riding.
I don't have any vids or any subscriptions to kiting mags either.
I am on here cuz I like chattin' with you guys about our local stuff and just nothing most of the time while playing online poker.

Anyway, here is a link to it that I found interesting.
http://www.fksa.org/viewtopic.php?t=...r=asc&start=15

I am posting this with zero real thought processes BTW, except thinking of a couple things.

Do you guys visit this site?
If not, why not?
I just spent about 5 minutes on it. It appears to be LOADED with information.

Anyway, I was curious. It seems like Rick I has put alot of effort into the site. It is literally a wealth of information and somewhat of a history lesson.

Again, just really curious. Our site rocks, don't get me wrong. But that site looks like it is "worthy" of attention for certain! I did see about 6 of you on the memberlist.

Tom, I noticed he had 4 poker bots as members pestering his site as well.
Rick, I know you catch crap from some, but trust me, there are 100 quiet people thanking you, for every one complaint regarding safety. I originally linked to your thread, cuz I find it interesting how little "exchange" you get on such a great site.

FlKitesurf is back up, in part to some of these great ideas about a team of "non-industry" kiters/moderators to relieve Tom from his single-moderator job and other suggestions.
Old 03-16-2006, 03:41 PM

I feel that the current moderators that you have in place are fine and I think that adding a couple more of YOUR CHOICE would not hurt once you see the traffic in the site and follow the posts of some of the members to determine who should be added. I think that the main focus should be kiteboarding in the area and getting along as a group. I have already seen a couple of backhanded comments in this thread alone that you won't pick up on unless you know all of the guys in our community. I will not elaborate or point fingers, but rather think that you need to observe the relationships on the site for yourself in order to properly choose approprite moderators.

Finally, I do think that people should be able to speak their minds freely on the site and have it out on the forum instead of on the beach if needed. Bad blood can get to a boiling point if censorship gets in the way of people who need to express concerns, needs, aggrivations, frustrations or anger with other riders or individuals. I personally am looking to belong to a forum where everyone tries to get along for the most part but still allows for opinions to be expressed without said censorship/deleting of threads. As long as noone is saying "I'm gonna beat the crap out of you" or means physical harm in any other way, I would hope the moderators won't take things too seriously and enjoy the fact that people have differences and working them out on the forum is much better than on the beach...

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one and they all stink!!! But they need to be heard to create one cooperating, smoothly operating community within the community.

I will send you some suggestions for moderators Rick but suggest you wait to see how the site develops first. There are a lot of clicks in our area and voting may not be the best course of action...

Any name is fine with me, I live in Palmetto so unless you are naming it the Palmetto forum I don't care what it is called!!!

Take care and your site rocks!!!

Toby
Old 03-16-2006, 06:02 PM

Kool-Aid Man agrees with Mr. Wilson.
With 6 "wind censors" on flkitesurf, are we going to get more, or less, accurate reading?
I have noticed several posts deleted with the "New"system, that were based on SAFETY, removed only because of who posted it.
A sizeable group of riders in our area have LEGITIMATE concerns that need to be addressed, but have no voice, due to the censorship on the forum. We should not tarnish this site any further with local politics.

Rick- I have been a fan of this site since before I started kiting. Your contribution to the kite world is immeasurable.Thank you for making us all safer kiters!
Old 03-17-2006, 12:25 PM

We all would have preferred to have flkitesurf uncensored but it just hasn't worked so far.

Good luck RickI. You are going to be responding to a lot of emails.

BTW, I did vote for the St. Pete forum.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:38 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Thanks for your input guys. The NW Florida FKA forum has been here in the current form for almost two years and close to five years in other formats. It is here to help you guys in a variety of ways, just shooting the breeze, swapping techniques, to working to preserve access, events and lots more. So, please make constructive use of it and have fun.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi