FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 04-30-2007, 06:12 PM
Can't Re-member

where is the hurricane?

Besides in my backyard.........
Old 04-30-2007, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby wilson View Post
If it didn't get personal then why were names and the mention of the club involved? You are here for about 25% of the year tops Roberto (due to your travel of course) so you don't really get to see that I am actually pretty good friends with Scott, my post is not an attack on him or anyone else. My post is stating that it is fine to educate and discuss safety but that singling out the club was not cool in my opinion. A lot of time and effort was put into forming that club by one person. It is MUCH easier to destroy that work than I am sure it was to build it...

I wasn't there, I didn't see what went on. But I think it could have been handled a little bit differently with names and associations omitted.
I am based here at least 5 out of 12 months/year, so unless someone changed the calendar to 20 months/year I'm here about 41% of the year...I taught over 100 lesson this year while in FL and this does effect me personally as well...but that's not the point...who cares, nor is it relevant that you are friends with Scott. I would be just as conerned if I only rode here 1 week per year.

I like Matt and Mike and have no doubt they are trying to do a good job. But it does worry me when a few members of the group they are forming seem to have their own agenda or their attitude is defiant, as seems to be the case. To suggest that this is an "absurd" issue and that it simply one persons intention to shut down a club is unbelievable. It really takes just one rider out there that systematically abuses our PRIVILEGE to ride at the local beaches.

We (kitesurfers) do not have "rights" per se to take over the beach and place innocent bystanders in danger. Most of the people watching us and cheering us have NO IDEA what kind of danger they are in until a kite crashes on them, lines wrap around them, or a board slams into them. We are all endangering people when riding too close...anything could happen: loss of control, gear malfunction, unexpected swimmer or obstacle...etc...nobody is immune to that.

In my opinion the individuals involved "singled themselves out" by virtue of their own actions. From what I have seen in the past, when issues are confronted anonymously nobody wants to come forward or accept responsibility...and just pretend like it never happened. I am positive that it was not Scotts intention to direct an attack on Matt or Mike or destroy the club. THAT suggestion is a bit dramatic. Scott is well-intentioned and simply voiced his concern loudly and I think it was very effective in bringing immediate attention to the matter and I trust that Matt has taken/and will continue to take the initiative to telegraph these concerns to members of his group.

When someone forms a group, there is by some logic a collective or shared responsibility. There is still mostly individual responsibility. Like it or not, if a group fosters unacceptable conduct, or legal issues arise because of one of their members actions...it could effect the entire group or the organization that supports the group. That's pretty normal in our society I believe.

I think that this has been an excellent use of the forum and that it actually seems to be having an immediate and positive outcome. Most importantly let's all try to have this situation bring us together instead of turning it into a personal issue that drives us apart. Please.
rvillate@msn.com
http://www.kitesurfatlas.com/schools/4winds7seas
Old 04-30-2007, 06:59 PM
Skyway Scott

The Hurricane is the restaurant (tallest building in PaG) with the pavillions on top (and wind sensor) where people go to watch the sunset. It's about a 1/4 mile north of the Pass. It's my favorite place to ride in front of when the sun is setting because of all the spectators up top. If Billy Parker isn't riding with you, they might actually think you are pretty good and yell and shout when you show off your bag of tricks (in my case 5).
Then you ride back upwind when done, they whole while pretending in your mind that your the "shit", despite the fact that in the grand scheme of things you're really just an average joe tethered to a kite
Old 04-30-2007, 07:39 PM
Can't Re-member

Ah , the thing that turns in the sky
Old 04-30-2007, 08:36 PM

Default a word from mike hall

This Afternoon I walked out on to my balcony of my new beach house, and looked out to see that there was still no wind, but little swell. I asked if my room mate if he wanted to go on a paddle and he said he was down. After putting on a couple layers of sun screen and my biggest hat, I was headed down to the beach. My friend Stan and I started out are paddle towards the swim bouys then headed south toward the pass. The wind was starting to pick up so it gave us a nice tail wind to get some speed down the waves. Soon we got to the jetti and found that the current was ripping out. As we took the left turn inside the pass you could see dark shapes trying to swim up stream, but it looked like they were just staying in one spot. Since there was soo much current Stan and I stuck close to sand bar to avoid the deep water current. As we headed farther toward the sand bar I noticed an eddy in the current. The water made a small u and the headed toward the edge of the sand bar. This is when the work out really started! I hugged the shore line and started to head north. It was fun looking down under the docks to see all diffrent shapes of sheephead. By now I was up to the fish charters, there were alot of people sitting out on the dock about to go out on there own adventure. Is if things were not perfect enough a dolphin and its pod started fishing right in front of us. As we headed toward the PAG Marina the pod followed, a couple times they came in a paddle distance. By the time we got to the marina we agreed that we had to have a final race up to the bridge right next to SeaCritters. During the race people at the Warf started to cheer. By the time we finished the race we let the current drift us down to the marina. We walked the boards not even a block back to the house and called it a day. Wow what a day, I am just glad I didnt spend most of it looking at this.

Mike Hall
TritonKiteboarding.com
If you have any problems with me or my crew, call me. 727-667-5718
Old 05-06-2007, 07:07 PM
Skyway Scott

Today at PaG was awesome to see.
Every single kiter that showed up walked the "extra mile" and stayed out of the swim area. It was very nice to see everyone doing this and I am most grateful and impressed with our local crew, which includes the Eckerd College crew, the "graduated college 20 years ago crew", the "I'm gearing up for college crew" and the "who the he.ll needs f'n college crew" (s).

I had a lot of confidence that the outcome of today would come to be because of those involved, but just the same cooperation and consideration among large groups of people should never be taken for granted, so thanks to all that did their part today at PaG.

If you missed the wind today out there... well ... wouldn't wanna be ya'!!

Last edited by Skyway Scott; 05-06-2007 at 07:53 PM.