FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 09-10-2007, 02:05 PM

Default Setting up a 5th line for a bridled SLE kite?

I know some of you have done it.. can we get some photos??.. assume that I could just run a Q line to the center of my waroo and have the line go thru the bar and clip to that.

is it that simple?

any other tried and tested methods.

thanks!

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 09-10-2007, 02:50 PM
popeye

I did some research on this and heard that it worked pretty well... BUT there are some disadvantages. If you accidentally pull on that line (which unhooked for example) the kite could invert. Also, the waroo is not designed to be loaded at that spot... and the additional drag in heavy winds may also lead to inversion.

Also, unless you have a stopper set on the 5th line, the kite will fly upside down (probably able to pull you but not with any real power).

Now for facts based on experience? I have none... I haven't tried it yet. I have been thinking about it though.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:25 PM

Thats how I set up all my kites.. including bows. It works great and helps with light wind relaunch.
If we REALLY want to make our beaches safer then 5th lines should be MANDATORY on all kites. Bows may have alot of range but they are more dangerous because they cause inexperienced riders to be over confident and they also can fail. Ask Gabe what it feels like to be on a 15 bow in 30 knots and have a front line break.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:27 PM
popeye

Cool. I used 5th lines on all of my C kites. When I switched to bows I knew there was a problem... no immediate kill switch unless you want tangled lines every time you miss the bar.

I may give this a shot on my waroo.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:41 AM

5th lines rock!

Last edited by kite-4-life; 10-16-2007 at 05:05 PM. Reason: The devil made me do it...
Old 09-11-2007, 10:51 AM
popeye

probably a good idea on the waroo... it's not designed for load in the center of the LE.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:48 PM

After Gabe's mishap at the Skyway, I too am interested in 5th line type safety. I learned on 4 and 5 line kites, but like many moved to SLE kites for there performance qualities, wind range, relaunch, ect. We discussed this issue in great detail at the PASA instructor clinic in Hatteras and it was agreed that this is an issue with safety and being overlooked by kite companies. The safety systems work when all is normal, but the problem is you need them to work when all hell breaks loose. For many of the SLE's on the market, it means chucking your kite and hoping it lands somewhere without consequence.

I am very excited about the SS Rev. They have been quite innovative over the years, so they may still have some fight left in them. If I can fly a kite with the range of an SLE, speed and feel of a C, and safety of a 5th line, then I am all about it.

I hope more companies will address this issue and realize that there is still much work to be done in keeping this sport as safe as possible. Think of all the issues over the past month with kites on the highway that may have been avoided with better designed safety systems on SLE's. Slingshot has set the bar many times in the past, and they really may be on to something for the future of kiting. With most things, it will be up to the kiter's to decide where the market is headed.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:45 AM
popeye

One thing I am concerned about with a 5th line on a waroo, is that once the kite inverts (release on the 5th line), how does it behave when you power it back up? There's a good posibility the rear lines will tangle on the trailing edge of the wing tips.

Fortunately you could just release to the 5th line again.

Maybe I'll try this out and give you guys a report. I 'll just hook up my 5 line C kite bar as a quick test.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popeye View Post
One thing I am concerned about with a 5th line on a waroo, is that once the kite inverts (release on the 5th line), how does it behave when you power it back up? There's a good posibility the rear lines will tangle on the trailing edge of the wing tips.

Fortunately you could just release to the 5th line again.

Maybe I'll try this out and give you guys a report. I 'll just hook up my 5 line C kite bar as a quick test.
im sure your aware of this already but there will be a big difference in you testing it and in real life, since in real life its going to be atleast 25-40knots that you woud be releasing it in.....
Old 09-12-2007, 09:56 AM
popeye

Are you suggesting I shouldn't test it at all, or that I should test it in 40 knots?