FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 09-12-2007, 10:02 AM

just remember that the results you get in normally powered situations wont resemble what you get in overpowered conditions....
Old 09-12-2007, 05:54 PM

Once again........ 5th lines work and save lives. Whether it be a C, Bow, Or hybrid. If you hook it up correctly then you will never go back to 4 lines.
You can discuss all the different possibilities til the wind blows but I've ridden 5th on C's, bow's and Hybrids for 3 years with no problems. Ya'll know how I ride so if it stands up to my crazy sh*t then it will work for almost any rider.
IT SHOULD BE MANDATORY IN PINELLAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(4 line bows and hybrids will get someone killed here this year once the wind really picks up)

PS... Inferno: I got knocked unconscious in 35-40 knots last season doing a double back double kiteloop. The only thing that saved my life was the 5th line. When I came too it was sitting there waiting for me and not pulling at all. It DOES work!!!!
Old 09-12-2007, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyJay View Post
Once again........ 5th lines work and save lives. Whether it be a C, Bow, Or hybrid. If you hook it up correctly then you will never go back to 4 lines.
You can discuss all the different possibilities til the wind blows but I've ridden 5th on C's, bow's and Hybrids for 3 years with no problems. Ya'll know how I ride so if it stands up to my crazy sh*t then it will work for almost any rider.
IT SHOULD BE MANDATORY IN PINELLAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(4 line bows and hybrids will get someone killed here this year once the wind really picks up)

PS... Inferno: I got knocked unconscious in 35-40 knots last season doing a double back double kiteloop. The only thing that saved my life was the 5th line. When I came too it was sitting there waiting for me and not pulling at all. It DOES work!!!!
i have no doubt it will work, my only concern is that if you dont have a stopper placed on the fifth line in the right spot, then the bar will slide far enough so that when you try to pull it back the rear line may end up pulling the kite into inversion (hard to explain in writing) and this could also cause a bridle wrapping on the wing tip......

i just dont want any newer riders to think its as easy as adding a fifth line to a bow and attatching your leash to it.... thats all
(i personally switched back to C-Kites for there 5th line safety)

btw Jay what kite did you try that on..... i just got an 07 8m torch that im dying to try in 35+
Old 09-12-2007, 07:05 PM
popeye

Yeah if you are going to rig a 5th line, there is a right way and a wrong way to do it. The right way is to know where to set the stopper ball... it's different for each kite, and to make the stopper ball adjustable. A double loop through an orange ball will work if you are using Q line. i used 5th lines on all my kites until I switched to bows.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:42 PM
Skyway Scott

Safety systems haven't received enough attention in the kiting industry, I agree. It almost seems like an after thought for some companies. Not bashing Best, but as one single example, that velcro attachment on the O-shit could have a warning to detach before use or something. They aren't the only ones, I am just using them as an example.
I also agree the current bow/hybrids can be more dangerous than C-kites with 5th lines when things go really bad.

I hate rigging a 5th line for a bunch of reasons, but would be interested in doing it for safety reasons, possibly.

How much more safety would a fifth line represent over a flag out system using one of the front lines? Some of the bows allow for attachment on one front line. I have modified my kites to use this approach. I am curious to hear some inputs.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:23 PM
popeye

5th line drops the kite instantly without tangles. It's not necessarily safer or less safe than a flag out safety, but it does make it possible to relaunch the kite. I started using 5th lines after I did the swim in heavy surf a few times because I accidentally unhooked and the kite crashed with lines all twisted and I was unable to relaunch.

5th line has the advantage that you can pull in 2 feet of it to fully depower a C kite... on a waroo however we can call it the manual inversion handle.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popeye View Post
on a waroo however we can call it the manual inversion handle.
nice...
Old 09-13-2007, 07:31 AM

Inferno.. I was on a 7m Fuel. Be careful trying anything in over 30 knots. It can really hurt!

Tom, Have you tried using a "V" 5th line bridle? Have Keith make some attachment points on the front about 3 feet apart off center and bring the lines down 6 feet to a v then attach 5th line. This helped with my wipika and kept it from inverting
Old 09-13-2007, 07:39 AM

im thinking your best bet is to copy the 07 instinct.... about 5ft down the 5th line is another line that connects about half way down the center strut.... this makes inversion not possible... just ask scott
Old 09-13-2007, 07:45 AM
Skyway Scott

I am still curious about the front line v. the 5th line flagout on a hybrid.
I am honestly clueless about the difference and hoping for input on this.

Actually Danny, the Instinct relies on front line flagout, even though it has a fifth line. It's also has a "span line" or anti-inversion line attached to the fifth line. This span line runs from one wing tip to the other, near the trailing edge.
The fifth line doe split off like you mentioned to form a "tpripod" at the LE, with three points of attachment. This is primarily to allow the 5th line to be used to trim the angle of attack of the kite effectively using the 5th line trimming system. If it didn't split off, it'd probably just fold the LE.
To my knowledge, it's the only kite that uses this trimming system (with 3 points of attachment to avoid the LE from "folding") and also the only one with the the span lines to help to stop inversions.
It makes the kite look very weird and most people look at the kite and then never want to ride it, 'cuz it's different

Ozone riders are notorious for mods, and some did modify 06 kites for 5th line flagout.
Interestingly enough, the first year of the Ozone (06), it had neither front line nor 5th line flag out systems.
Again, not picking on one brand, could pick on them all... this is another example of "shit hits the fan safety" kinda being overlooked until riders spoke up and Ozone is very safety conscious, imo.
Once riders spoke out, a 5th line flag out kit was offered.
I did the front line flag mod on my 06 and Ozone incorporated that mod on their 07s.
I am trying to figure out why they went front line instead of 5th line for flagout.

I haven't been in any thing outrageous on any hybrid or the Instinct (Instinct in my mind is a highly adjustable 5th line C kite with a very simple bridle) yet, hence part of my ignorance as to what would happen in say 50 knots if I flagged the kite out to one of the front lines.

Last edited by Skyway Scott; 09-13-2007 at 08:29 AM.