FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 03-12-2008, 04:36 PM

Danny,

What about a safety system like the rev? do you think a 5th line is safer than that?

Something that offers alot of depower and the ability to flag the kite when needed?
Old 03-12-2008, 04:37 PM
Skyway Scott

In terms of unhooking, my take is this. (could be wrong, but it's how it feels to me)
If the Hybrid is a real rocket launching jumper, like the Hyper Type, it's a challenge to unhook on it. Basically something like the Hyper Type always wants to quickly zoom to the edge of the window and quickly. This makes it an upwind machine and a great jumper, but when unhooked on it, makes things more difficult. Imagine edging, popping and then getting a turbo boost while you are in the air (sounds good, until you realize you don't want to come down at Mach 4 )

The Flexi Ion2 is the exact opposite. It jumps well, don't get me wrong, but it is "happy" where it's at, and doesn't desire to shoot anywhere real fast. The Ion2 is an awesome unhooked kite. When you edge and pop, you basically know what to expect at the moment of popping off the water. I haven't ever felt surprised unhooking on a Flexi. They are very predictable.
I actually just ordered the 12.5m Ion 2 a few days ago.

The waroo 08 is the Ion2 on steroids in my opinion (somewhere b/n a Hyper and the Flexi). It's a little faster, a little more explosive on jumps, but still manageable for unhooked. At it's top end though, it becomes more difficult to unhook on it (at my weight) compared to the Flexi Ion2. It's pretty good at all stuff, where as (of the kites I have ridden) the Flexi is the king of the unhooked kites, imo. It is beyond smooth and exceptionally predictable.

I haven't tried the new Cabs yet. I am sure they are good.

My take on the unhooked stuff is that in general if a kite wants to explode off the water and boost to the moon, it probably won't be all that easy to manage unhooked (especially in gusty winds). If it is much more predictable and stable, it is most likely a better unhooking candidate. I would try to demo kites, including the Ion2 and Ion3 and Cabs. If you find a kite you like, get it.

Oh, I will probably fly the 12.5 Ion2 on the fifth line for the safety of it. It's one reason I got it.
So, that's the 3 unhooked trick's guy take on unhooking on hybrids.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:02 PM

Default unhooked

I dont ride unhooked but you guys should definatly try the Eclipse thruster http://www.eclipsekiteboarding.net/i...d=63&Itemid=88 also the nano is a great wake style wave kite unhooked http://www.eclipsekiteboarding.net/i...d=64&Itemid=89 If you guys want me to come over there for a UNHOOKED demo let me know
Old 03-12-2008, 05:03 PM

Hauss was doing F16's on my 16M Thruster a couple of weeks ago...pretty amazing that a small guy like him was doing unhooked tricks with a fast kite like that. I don't unhook very often at all, only in SUPER light winds so don't take my post as 'advice' but once my 12M '08 Thruster gets here in the next couple of days, I think that may begin to change. I am not saying it is a good or bad unhooked kite, Dimitri makes unhooking on them look pretty easy but Dimitri is Dimitri. I do have to say that I was pretty much in awe at the sight of Hauss doing those F16's on my 16M '07 Thruster tho.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimal8199 View Post
Danny,

What about a safety system like the rev? do you think a 5th line is safer than that?

Something that offers alot of depower and the ability to flag the kite when needed?
ive seen it in action once, looked pretty good to me.... i just didnt like the rev..... but the safety system seems like one of the best out there...
Old 03-12-2008, 05:08 PM

LOL!!! Great minds think alike Dave!!!
Old 03-12-2008, 06:59 PM
Tom Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipsedave View Post
I dont ride unhooked but you guys should definatly try the Eclipse thruster http://www.eclipsekiteboarding.net/i...d=63&Itemid=88 also the nano is a great wake style wave kite unhooked http://www.eclipsekiteboarding.net/i...d=64&Itemid=89 If you guys want me to come over there for a UNHOOKED demo let me know
Dave, actually the nono really isn't very good for unhooked riding. It's pretty bad actually from what I have seen... especially once it hits the water (and I have seen it many many times). Just trust me on that one lol.

The thruster is a lot better imo.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:34 PM
Skyway Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Stock View Post
........... especially once it hits the water (and I have seen it many many times).
Yeah, but have you ever seen it go back up? Man, we shoulda got that sh.it on video.
Tom, leaves names out to protect the innocent.
No, no... ah no.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:54 PM

I think that rider just needed to pump the kite up a little more. The Nano especially needs to be inflated very full for the relaunch to work properly. I actually pump up my Thrusters very full too, makes the performance on them much better...when Dave is up here for the race, he will demonstrate for you guys if you want.

If it were an issue, wouldn't you have seen people kicking and screaming about it before February or March? Spending the kind of money you spend on a kite for it not to relaunch properly would be a real issue and recalls would need to be made. The Nano is a great kite, give em a go when Dave does his next demo, probably after the race. The rider you guys are talking about said the kite was incredible and real nice for unhooked tricks until the relaunch. Like I said, he just didn't have the kites pumped up full enough...
Old 03-12-2008, 08:28 PM
Skyway Scott

He had the kite pumped up hard as a rock, I made sure to triple check that before his second and third outing.
After watching him get pissed the first time, I had to look at his stuff. It seemed "normal" to me.
I have seen this rider struggle now on several occasions get so mad he was yelling. The first time I saw him get mad was a few months ago at the SW. The last time was last week at EB.

Do you think the rider just doesn't know how to water relaunch kites?

You are right about one thing, I would definitely like to see Dave relaunch it during a demo.
It's a total mystery to me right now how that thing appears to stay pegged to the water.
I would like to demo the kite. I just want to be in shallow (walk back) water, if necessary.