FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 04-23-2008, 06:52 PM

Default sea Breeeeeeezzzze

Now that is what I call a sea breeze! Solid 18 to 20 at PAG. It was wierd though it never made it to the SW, barely blowing when I went by on the way home. I rigged my 14 ERA cause I thought I was late and it might die, but oh no. I was Litttt. Should have rigged the 9. Scott was explaining how the out going tide in the afternoon this time of year realy sets it off. I don't quite understand how, but I sure like it.

Bob
Old 04-23-2008, 06:59 PM
Skyway Scott

I was loving the Pass today. I rode all the way to Bunces Pass at one point.
The waves out in front of Shell Island were awesome (for our coast). Sweet day, for sure.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:41 PM

It did make it to the BS. 3 riders and myself. Up wind good on my 15m Flexi at a large 230lbs.

Rode over to E.B, no one there. Flats are great.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:58 PM
Can't Re-member

yep, it was seabreeze central today in ruskin as well, just need to get outta work earlier
Old 04-23-2008, 08:46 PM

Nice down winder from IRB right past the redington pier. fully lit on my 14.5 ion 2, that kite truly rocks, the 12.5 will be here saturday!!!
Old 04-23-2008, 10:13 PM

"fully lit on my 14.5 ion 2, that kite truly rocks, the 12.5 will be here saturday!!!"

flexi always puts an xtra 1/2 meter on their kites.
it's a cool marketing thing.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:22 PM

I don't think you can classify today as a seabreeze. I think it was some solid wind out of the north from late morning to sundown.

Scott, I think you are on to something with the tide thing, but today was just some killer spring wind.....think it would have been there tide or not.

It was hittin 13-15 knots at Fred Howard around 11pm and filled in to around 20knots all afternoon until the sun went down. Very cool that Al was able to join us today. Always nice seeing a new face up there.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:01 AM

pass sure had a decent swell for the west coast especially off shell... I think the outgoing tide adds to the apparent wind by creating more tension in the lines by having the current opposing the wind and that creates additional apparent wind. also, having a low tide later in the day definatly exposes more surface area on land and that would definatly add to the thermal effect that creates the seabreeze....looks like a decent east wind day setting up for tomorrow evening or night riding. currently blowing 24 G 28 NE at the skyway.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:05 AM

Default Seabreeze and tides

The effect should be that of a change in apparent wind. Just like apparent wind created with the motion of the kite. If the seabreeze is say, 12 kts, and the outgoing tidal flow is 3 kts, then you have an apparent wind of 15 when riding out. Of course, going the opposite direction, the apparent wind will be 9kts. Any oceanographers out there?
Old 04-24-2008, 12:20 AM
Skyway Scott

Steve, maybe that is what happened up north, and some other type of mechanism controls wind up there. I have no idea.
It sounds like the seabreeze kicked it up a notch, if it went from 13 to 20, but I have no idea what happens up there. I just know the area around my house real well.

I believe strongly that PaG is influenced by temperature differentials b/n the Gulf and inland this time of year. The typical spring time pattern of NW winds at PaG fit the definition of sea breeze to a "T".

Today at PaG it went from NE at 5 to NW at 20 in about 5 minutes.
The typical "someone just hit the switch on the wind blower" gig.
This happened right at 12:30 when the heat of the day allowed for inland heating. The water is still only about 73 degrees, so this creates a really nice temperature gradient b/n land and gulf.

Once the land cooled, it switched pretty quickly back to the original direction of NE, but with much more power. It is still nuking at solid 20 plus out of the NE.

In my mind, when wind goes from NE at 5 to NW at 20 plus in the heat of the day, and then back again to NE as the land cools, it's most likely that the NW wind was caused by inland heating (sea breeze).
Either way, I don't care too much what people call it or what causes it.
I just like showing up within minutes or moments before a blow,rigging and riding for as long as possible.

Last edited by Skyway Scott; 04-24-2008 at 12:50 AM.