FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 02-11-2009, 07:39 PM

Default Anyone try Kitefix?

Got my first tear today. Its about 6" long and about 1" at the top of tear makes a right angle. (like a number 7) Is that kitefix glue stuff the way to go or should I try tape on both sides? Thanks.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:13 PM

so far kitefix has worked great for me, i ripped my flexifoil ION in half and i wanted to try kite fix, and after about 2 days of 30 min sessions, the kite was usable, its my main 12 m kite, i've used it about 15 times since, it works the same as it used to. i would definitely use it again, but on that small of a tear, i think sail tape would be fine, just use it on both sides
down town St. pete
12m flexifoil Ion (Rasta)
16m switchblade 2 (blue)
a fresh new freak dog board
Old 02-12-2009, 01:21 PM

Gluefix works great. They have a nice kit. Good to bring on a trip. I was bummed though when I found out that gluefix was actually aquaseal. I was surprised when I peeled the gluefix label off the tube and says: "AquaSeal sample, not for resale."
Old 02-12-2009, 01:39 PM

I don't have any experience fixing tears, so I don't have any great advice. Your rip doesn't sound as huge as some of the ones I've read about being fixed on kiteforum. I just wanted to chime in and say that if you're afraid to fix it because it's your primary kite or its out of your comfort zone, try Airtime kites. You'll pay for their services, but they're great. I was having some annoying bladder issues, where my bladder wouldn't seat right, and it ended up eing some weird deal I never would have figured out. They fised it and I'm happy as can be. They were quick and helpful, but you pay for great service, so it's not the cheapest thing in the world.
Your rip probably is too small to go that far, but if need be, they're great
Old 02-13-2009, 06:29 PM

Don't forget us. We have experience in all types of repairs. Professional repair done locally. We can fix valves, find leaks in bladders, and give you advice on all your options big and small. And yes, good service does have its price. It is not often you hear that on the forum these days. Glad someone still recognizes that good service does have value.

One of our customers destroyed there LE and bladder. LE got fixed in a week, but unfortunately, the bladder was out of stock for 2 months. An airtime bladder was an alternative, but definately more expensive. We loaned the gentemen a kite four 2 months waiting on the stock bladder to arrive. Not the norm, but thought I would give an example of what we do and how we go the extra mile.

I have been keeping the plugs down to a bear minimum lately, but I had to chime in.

Oh yeah, almost forgot, have been selling the KITEFIX for a year now and have had no problems. It really works great if done right. Definately the best alternative out there next to actual repair with needle and thread. I would not recommend sail tape for a tear of 6" long. If you do use the tape, make sure to put a little heat on it to set off the glue. Also make sure the kite is clean with soap/water/achohol.

2 cents
Old 02-13-2009, 07:33 PM

Cool, I didn't know you guys were doing repairs.
Can you fix the wind?