FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 11-29-2010, 10:46 PM

Default Fancy a bit of wind, warmth and sunshine?

Well, the windy season has hit us head on here in the Cayman Islands!

November has been a great start to a promising season. It got to the point where we stopped looking at the wind gauge, as it was parked at 22 mph for about a week! I think we had 1 day in the month where we couldn't kite.

December is on us and is looking good. Temperatures are at about the 80 F mark and predicted to drop no lower than mid 70's with another cold front lining up from the west. We are hoping for a repeat of November's wind, which was also triggered with a cold front from the West.

For this 2011 season we now have 2 chase boats at our dock, ready to take you out for lessons or a water taxi.

With miles of uncrowded open water, it is the perfect spot for long downwinders. And I do mean miles:

Flat, reef protected water:

You can just make out another of our downwinder runs round the point:

Bear in mind that this was an organised photoshoot, so it is a little more crowded than usual
No seriously, I was teaching today from our East Sandbar and spotted 4 kiters in the North sandbar vicinity (the area in the first arial photo). We're not exactly struggling for room here.

We can take you to one of our sand bars and help you set up the gear, then support you from our boats as you work on your technique on uncrowded downwind runs.

If you can already ride upwind, we have some great new group or private advanced lessons. Work on tricks or jumps - we can even show you wave riding outside the reef.

With a relaxed caribbean atmosphere and a direct 70 minute flight from Miami, Grand Cayman is proving to be a popular destination for kiters who want to get away for a few days and soak up some sunshine. (Direct flights are also available from Ft. Lauderdale, Tampa, Orlando, Houston, Atlanta, Charlotte, New York, Boston, Philidelphia, Detroit, Chicago, Toronto, St. Paul/ Minneapolis & the UK).

We just graduated as the first PASA instructor examiner school in the Caribbean, placing us as one of the premier kite schools. We'll be looking to hold another instructor training course around February, so if you are interested, perhaps you should pay us a visit or get in touch! Here are a couple of snaps from the last one we just held. They are good fun and you learn a lot about how to teach, weather, safe kiting techniques and student safety, amongst other things. I originally took the course just out of interest and learned a huge amount.

We are also blessed with some of the world's best bioluminescence - we offer a cracking night-kayak excursion to experience this spectacular sight. It's really popular, and rightly so.

Besides the amazing kiting and amazing bioluminescence, we also have amazing scuba diving. If that's not enough, you can also swim with and feed the wild stingrays. (Yup, you guessed it - also amazing)! On a more serious note, Cayman really does offer a huge amount to its visitors.

Cayman is a really exciting kiting gem that is so easy to get to. We'd love to show you around and share the most perfectly clear and warm water you'll ever see. I decided to try and loose the farmer T-shirt tan I had developed over the past month and think I managed it in 4 hours of teaching today! What a gorgeous, hot, sunny day we had. December typically starts to get booked up around now, so if you are considering a visit why not drop us a line and reserve your slot with us.

So if you want to dust off the boardshorts and leave the full wetsuit behind, top up the tan, experience our world-class conditions and finish off with a mudslide at sunset in a Caribbean bar, just drop us a line!

Richie Rich
The Kitehouse, Cayman Islands
Old 11-30-2010, 08:14 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Looks great, thanks for posting! Really like that aerial view to the southeast over eastern end of the island. I hadn't seen that perspective
before, really shows the reef up well too along that stretch of coast.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi