FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

Old 12-15-2006, 07:15 AM

The wind looks better for sun. Whats up ?
Old 12-15-2006, 08:07 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

The forecast is looking good again for Sunday, NE 15 to 20 kts. with a fairly low rain chance currently. It would be good to check forecast updates as today goes on. Saturday has lighter winds predicted and may have some rain/squalls as well.

The 48 hour flag will likely go up later on this morning.

Should be fun!

Wonder how many folks will show up in Christmas riding gear? Elves or is that Elvis -R-US?

Stay tuned ...

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 12-15-2006, 08:26 AM

i posted info on the DW on Kiteforum and the Best Forum...hopfully we will get a good turn out and raise some $ for the foundation....and lets hope for wind...
Old 12-15-2006, 09:53 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Santa: "Gotta rig bigger reindeer next time!"

The 48 hour flag is UP for the Run!

A 24 hour post will go up tomorrow with confirmation.

Currently here's the forecast:

SATURDAY
NORTHEAST WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS. SEAS 2 TO 3 FEET NEAR
SHORE AND UP TO 3 TO 5 FEET IN THE GULF STREAM. INTRACOASTAL
WATERS A MODERATE CHOP IN EXPOSED AREAS. CHANCE OF SHOWERS.

SATURDAY NIGHT
NORTHEAST WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS. SEAS 3 TO 5 FEET.
INTRACOASTAL WATERS A MODERATE CHOP IN EXPOSED AREAS. SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS.

SUNDAY THROUGH TUESDAY
NORTHEAST WINDS AROUND 15 TO 20 KNOTS. SEAS 4 TO 6 FEET. INTRACOASTAL WATERS CHOPPY IN EXPOSED AREAS.

Looking good.

Transportation as always is an issue. Folks are responsible for figuring out how to get back, etc.. Car pooling and dropping one car at Matheson and driving to the launch at 87th with another would be one approach. Another would be for folks to let us know who has available seating in cars driven by SO's on to Matheson after dropping the kiters off at 87th. Please post if you have available seats in your car.

I'll put some map sections up soon.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 12-15-2006, 09:54 AM

Looking better

BISCAYNE BAY- NOAA
10:36 AM EST FRI DEC 15 2006

SUNDAY THROUGH TUESDAY
NORTHEAST WINDS 15 TO 20 KNOTS. BAY WATERS
CHOPPY
Old 12-15-2006, 11:15 AM

Rick will post soon, but the forecast looks very good. I think that it would be best to have everyone start at 10 a.m. We will have a riders meeting before then and I believe that a representative from SAL will be on hand to accept donations and say a few words about their program.

At the riders meeting, everyone will have to buddy up and each buddy is responsible for their own buddy (kind of makes you think of Garry Menk... everyone's little buddy). We will get a general idea of who's racing down and who's just cruising down. I do think that it is important for everyone to finish inside of 4 hrs., so please don't spend too much time at Stiltsville if you are just cruising. We don't what to have to look for people after dark. The fastest riders will make the ride in just over 1 hr. while it should be an easy ride in 2 hrs.

REMEMBER. This is just an informal down wind ride, but you need to be responsible for all riders and your buddy. Look out for obstructions in the water over the flats. Bring a cell phone, VHF, etc., if you can't tread water for more than 6 hrs...

PS. If anyone is interested in racing down, I might suggest a wager of a 12 pack from each racer... winner take all? Let me know and I'll bring my 12...

PSS. After riding at Matheson we can do Taco's at Taco Rico or swill some beers at Flanigans. Thoughts?

Kent
Old 12-15-2006, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent
I believe that a representative from SAL will be on hand to accept donations and say a few words about their program.

PSS. After riding at Matheson we can do Taco's at Taco Rico or swill some beers at Flanigans. Thoughts?

Kent
Sounding better & better :wink:
Old 12-15-2006, 02:42 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Sounds great Kent, thanks!

Remember we want to try to START the run at 10 am, so come early enough to rig up and hit the waves with the group.

It is great that so many folks are coming out to ride down South Beach and over to Matheson Hammock, should be a blast. Thanks in advance to all the individuals that are planning to donate $25. to the Shake-A-Leg Foundation. This group allows children with disabilities such as blindness and paralysis to capture and enjoy some of the water sensations that we're addicted to, who otherwise might never have the chance. Your gift can make this possible, pretty powerful stuff. It's an excellent cause just like the Alex Caviglia Bluewater Foundation.

I heard a rumor that we might have a visitation from Father Christmas in shredders mufti, complete with kite-powered reindeer. Hope it comes true.

We'll be meeting at the beach at 87th Terrace at about 8:30 or 9:00 am. A map section appears at: http://tinyurl.com/ymeuq7

We'll be riding south to the end of Key Biscayne and then west to Matheson Hammock in Coral Gables. A map section appears at:
http://tinyurl.com/yh3ve2

You should see the kites. The landing is beside the parking lot on the north side of the pennisula.

Driving directions from 87th Terrace to Matheson Hammock appear at:
http://tinyurl.com/wykzt

Please take note of Kent's suggestions regarding cell phones, VHF, water, etc.. Voice of experience there. We'll learn more at the talk before the run.

Low tide is supposed to be just before noon. So hopefully we won't have that much current to deal with out of Miami Harbor entrance or the other two cuts south of there. I would still give the all the cuts plenty of leeway.

Like with any point to point trip over water, particularly on a small craft (130 cm kiteboard?) things can go wrong and then there you are. So, even in something as light hearted this, things can seriously go wrong. Hence the need for buddies, communications and whatever else you want to bring to even the odds of a good, safe session. BE SURE to head on the right bearing westward to Matheson Hammock from Key Biscayne. If you head too far south, you end up on the "Mangrove Planet", next stop Ocean Reef on Key Largo!

Beyond all else as Neil is fond of saying, "kite within your abilities."

Next update, tomorrow!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 12-15-2006, 04:29 PM

at 87th...we park at the parking lot at the south end of the park?
Old 12-15-2006, 05:40 PM

which day?