FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

Old 07-28-2014, 09:22 PM

Default Howard Park Tarpon Springs ?

I know the Clearwater season is pretty much over, but looking forward to the fall... anyone know what the possibilities for riding at Howard Park are?

BTW we've had some awesome summer riding the past few days up here in the panhandle! Fri-today winds 15+kts every afternoon
Old 07-28-2014, 10:23 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by knot_moving View Post
I know the Clearwater season is pretty much over, but looking forward to the fall... anyone know what the possibilities for riding at Howard Park are?

BTW we've had some awesome summer riding the past few days up here in the panhandle! Fri-today winds 15+kts every afternoon
Glad you are having good winds in the Panhandle. For whatever reason, likely a cold front, winds are 15 to 20 kts. west in that area tonight and going 10 to 15 kts. tomorrow. They are forecast to drop to single digits again after. As far as I know, winds in the Crystal River area aren't that different from Clearwater outside of large regional systems (fronts or tropical systems). You may do better at times in the Panhandle due to continental land mass effect vs. the lower peninsula of Florida influencing pressure and wind gradients. I don't know that Crystal River is far enough north to benefit from the same sort of thing.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 07-30-2014, 06:08 PM

reread my original post - could not have made more unclear if I tried
What I was trying to ask is whether Howard Park was open to kiteboarding and whether it was a decent spot to ride - given a wind with some west in it obviously
... as a general question, not specific to right now.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:26 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

That was my original interpretation and then reread your post and thought differently. Anyway, having the distinction of being the first place in Florida to ban kitesurfing way back, kiting has been permitted there for several years. It is a good spot to ride with favorable winds. I was discussing some proposed riding guidelines with a local leader some years ago but am unable to find them nor can I find the published online. I would contact Watersports West, http://watersportswest.com and ask them for the latest about guidelines there, viable wind sectors, etc.. The problem way back in the day, aside from some influential, annoyed windsurfers pulling the plug on this strange new sport, was kiters riding in and among bathers. Best to launch out of the way and stay well out of the swim zone. Looking at Google Earth, it looks viable with winds from NNE to W to SSE but I would check with the shop for more info.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 08-03-2014, 08:02 AM

Default Howard Park

You can launch only on the backside/east side. You have to watch out for kayaks, paddle boards, swimmers, snorkelers and the occasional shark. It is best to ride outside the buoys.

Since they lifted the ban there have been some incidents/issues with riders doing crazy things, such as crashing kites on the beach, self launching on the crowded beach, jumping/tricks close to shore upwind of the beach, etc.

Some of the windsurfers are friendly to kiters and even know how to assist in launching/landing. It can get very crowded with both windsurfers and kiters on a windy day. Also, when the tide is high there is very little sandy beach to set up.