FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 01-12-2007, 09:02 AM
Canuck

Default Kite Line Tangle - How to Recover?

I've been reading the other thread about the two kites that had their lines tangle. I know the best thing is never get into the place where the lines of two kites get tangled whoever I wondered if it was to happen to you, what would be the best approach to safely recover from the situation? Both as the "tangler" and "tangleee".
Old 01-12-2007, 11:54 AM

i had billy parker jump right behind me (in my blind spot) right as i was transitioning.. his kite lines went over my kite ... i was ready to hit my QR so fast it would shock and amaze you.. but he kept screaming for me to stay there.. he ran towards me and got right behind me.. i sheeted in and jumped through his lines and out the way..

no twists in this case but it was pretty damn scary since we were kinda close to shore..

twisted kites that are looping should be released if there is no one nearby to help..

again.. with a lot of wind.. no one should attempt to stop the kites unless they are in perfect position to do so.

too much risk to the guy wrapped up in a kite in water..

somoene trying to calm the kites should be looking to pull the dump valve ASAP. catching a tangled kite is very dangerous.. especially if its got another kite tied to it.

best for the riders to pull their QR if there is any doubt. if possible keep communicating with the other rider.. QR at same time if you can..

if there is some control on the kites.. maybe just a simple twist of the line.. try to communicate and crash the kites ...

maybe others can comment.. i just see that there are so many variables at play here that can go from small twist to major kitemare in no time.

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 01-12-2007, 12:32 PM

I have never had it happen to me but have seen or heard of this happen 5 times so far.

2 times the riders stayed calm, held onto their bars and eventually got untangled with no injury.

2 times one person held onto their bar and the other immediately threw theirs. Both times it resulted in the kite who's bar was thrown to begin to uncontrollably loop until it crashed, dragging both riders, then attempt to relaunch itself. No injuries but probably due to others around them helping out.

1 time an out of town kook jumped into a local and took him and his kite out. I was riding so I didn't see how they got untangled.

At least you have a chance if you can still control the bar to some degree.

If you have to throw the bar, ditch the kite...pull the QR on your CL and your leash...

This is just my opinion of what to do after seeing this happen multiple times...never had the unpleasant experience of tangling lines yet as I stated earlier.
Old 01-13-2007, 05:02 PM

I was in a tangle myself once. fortunatly or unfortuantly its was in shallow water. Thankfully it was a lighter day otherwise the shallow water could have been a curse. the other rider and i sat next to each other to talk (stupid when kiting) we had out kites and different spots in the window then the wind played some tricks and the next thing i know my kite went over the other riders kite. I started to freak but forsome reason i wound up staying calm. even though out kites adn lines with tangled we were both able to cotrol our kites enough to stablize them and then come up with a plan to get untangled. So my advice would be to try and stay calm and then think about the best and safetest solution to the problem that you are BOTH in. Im not saying that youll be able to regain contol or beable to stay calm, but it worked for us in our situation. I kept stearing my kite to 12 and the other rider slowly started to drop to the edge of the window. I layed flat on the water while he stood up and then unhooked and let go of his bar. took off his leash put them through my lines and effectively untangling the both of us. He then reattached his leash and relaunched his kite. I said sorry about a million times and owed him a few beers. Luckly things work out fine and no one was hurt, just one heck of a good scare for the both of us.
Old 01-13-2007, 11:47 PM
Canuck

Thanks for the responses. Remaining calm seems to be a recurring theme and then working together. Obviously every situation will be unique due the many variables that are at work anytime we are kiting. It's one of the reason I like kiting. Everyday is different.

Let's hope it never happens to any of us! More responses welcomed. BTW, we are finally getting cold weather up in Southern Ontario. Lakes are finally starting to freeze over. Snow kiting will probably start this week.