FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 01-17-2008, 08:52 PM
Tom Stock

Right on, see you out on the water.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:22 PM

9,13,16 sounds like all bases covered bro, especially if you have a few different boards to play around with. I haven't ridden an '08 best 13, but i'm sure with a big board you could have fun probly 15knts maybe even 12 and if it picks up just grab another board. It seems like these newer kites are getting faster and more power from smaller sizes. I've got an 11 and a 16, which can leave a gap but i usually make out ok with a board swap. Just remember when you get those new kites to take a moment and embrace that fresh, crisp, new kite smell and feel, it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside
Old 01-18-2008, 05:58 AM

Hey somone has to help WSW pay the rent, T-shirt sales only go so far. Has PT Barnum posted on this thread yet?
Old 01-18-2008, 06:32 AM
Can't Re-member

Quote:
Has PT Barnum posted on this thread yet?

No, as for as I know Alex ( Gumball from Best ) has not posted any of his over the top / used car salesman HYPE on this forum yet
Old 01-18-2008, 07:07 AM

Just teasing Raul, I'd really like to try the SB3. It has been a while since I've given any Cab kite a fair shot. I guess I've been avoiding it because if they were really a lot better I still don't think I coud pry the money out of my wallet.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:36 AM
Tom Stock

Since most riders only ride back and forth and do small jumps, whats the point anyway? Not like they need the pro model. But some beginners seek out the best gear they can find hoping to shorten the learning curve and assume that because the price is higher that it's better gear. Unfortunately price has absolutely nothing to do with the design of the kite. That has to do with labor costs and profit margins. Hype doesn't mean anything either, that has to do with commissions.

I based my kite choice on 3 years of kiting experience moving into a lot of unhooked riding, Scott on 8 years also just moving into a lot of unhooked riding, Billy on 7 or 8 (?) years as a superhero, Crazy Jay on his (8?) years doing crazy kite loops to blind and unhooked riding on small C kites, and most beginners on 2 hours of experience relaunching in 8 knots.

My point is everyone is at a different level and they choose the kite for the level they are riding at and the type of riding they do. A free riding kite is not a freestyle kite.

The kite for Billy may not be the kite for the guy who's only been riding 6 months and isn't unhooking. Maybe he just wants low end grunt instead of a fast looping kite.

Variety is what makes the world interesting. Spend what you want, ride what you want, and as you progress you'll probably find your kite flavors changing.

When someone recommends a kite, ask what type of riding they do and how long they've been riding and it'll help you decide if it's your type of kite.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:22 AM
Can't Re-member

Quote:
I'd really like to try the SB3. It has been a while since I've given any Cab kite a fair shot. I guess I've been avoiding it because if they were really a lot better I still don't think I coud pry the money out of my wallet

Yeah, I'd like to try one too, but I can't seem to let go of the XBow III's.

Also, I think this low priced thing vs. high priced thing is a myth. Once you make a fair comparison, i.e. price both size kites with bars with single pump inflation systems, I calculated the cabby's are only $100 maybe $150 more esp. since you can negotiate the price on cabby's but not the others.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:27 AM

Well said Tom. It just sucks that guys on this forum gotta throw the first punch all the time at the shop I work for. It is no wonder I find myself on the defensive all the time which inevitiably is a no win situation. So I am done battling the negative comments. I am doing this job not to get rich, but to help raise a beautiful baby girl and give her the best opportunity in this difficult world, and give back to a sport that has given me life again.

I joined the forum to learn more about the sport, our local riders, and occasionally post a demo here and there. It is hard sometimes to stay on track, but I will do my best.

OK so some demo news.....we are working out the details with ERA to host a demo early next week. Times and locations to be announced.

We are also finalizing the launch of Nobile Kites here in the US. We are looking to have the first batch of kites available here in the US. More as that develops. Hoping for next month at the "Back to the Bay" race.

Always have SB3's and Rev's on hand for anyone wanting to give them a whirl. I never push them on anyone so feel free to come up to me wherever I am and ask. Or simply call and I can try to meet you somewhere you are riding.

Oh yeah, and thank's Raul for pointing out the obvious. It really is a silly argument when you compare apples to apples.

Have a great weekend.....I will be in the shop busy selling T-shirts.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:27 AM

Exactly Tom!

I ride the kites that I ride for my own personal reasons.. if someone asks my opinion, I will give it to them but because I like something means jack-diddly to another rider.

My ONLY advice I would give anyone starting off is to buy a newer but used kite first. Thats to save a few bucks as we all know the first 6 months can be tough and keep the technology as new as your wallet will allow.

I ride the kites I ride and buy from the place I buy 100% out of familiarity and experience w/ how well I've been treated during past issues that required customer service.

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 01-18-2008, 10:11 AM
Tom Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigR View Post
Once you make a fair comparison, i.e. price both size kites with bars with single pump inflation systems, I calculated the cabby's are only $100 maybe $150 more esp. since you can negotiate the price on cabby's but not the others.
I think you did your math wrong.

08 Waroo quiver (15M, 11M, 9M + bar and lines (who needs 3 bars): $2696.00 + tax
08 SBIII quiver (16M,12M,8M): $4817.00 + tax

5154.00 SB3s after tax
2884.00 WAROOs after tax
======
2270.00 less expensive quiver.