FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

Old 09-21-2009, 07:40 AM

True. Would a Twitter site be even easier?
Old 09-21-2009, 08:19 AM

Great idea Scott. I have not used Twitter but I would definitely use it for this. Let us know how we would do it if you have ideas.

Tony
Old 09-21-2009, 09:21 AM

There's something already in place that is perfect for this, but needs some 3g users for testing. (both Iphones and Crackberry). I believe it may work better than Twitter, (which is being over-run by spammers) and definitely includes some better features.
Please contact me if you have 5 or 10 minutes to try this thing out. Pretty sure you'll be stoked!

BTW, T-Mobile has MyTouch3g (Android) phones for 99 bux thru Sept. 24th. Order thru customer service and mention promo (KICKOFF-24)

On another note, the TBKA site is about to get a few updates and will be down for a while.
Members watch your mailbox for a newsletter coming soon.....

Steve S. (813) 389-3683
Old 09-21-2009, 11:03 AM

We should figure out something easy. Whether it's on Steve's site, Twitter, or whatever.
Rick (or Steve) could very easily put a simple "display box" on their forum or site to a Twitter feed dedicated to only local real time wind observations shared amongst local riders.

Here is an example. ---- (went to show, then found out following).

Ugh... Steve is right. Twitter is getting attacked by stuff lately and won't allow sites like Joomla to have direct access to Tweet feeds to display on your own site.

Anyway, something for sharing real time wind info would be cool. Steve will probably figure it out.
Maybe just a simple link, like this.
http://twitter.com/Scotts_Demo

A "box" on the forum would be cool, but just accessing a twitter feed is still pretty simple. I honestly don't know how twitter works, cuz I don't care. But for up to date wind stuff, it might prove useful.

Steve, is your idea pretty easy? I only have a simple phone and have texted 3 times my whole life. Do you need a fancy phone to access this stuff? I would prolly just call someone and have them enter the tweet from work (cruel... I know)
"Dude... you are the only one working". "We are riding". "Can you tell everyone else NOT working to come out?" "Thanks. "
Old 09-21-2009, 12:06 PM

I only did this yesterday as it takes me 45min to an hour, depending on traffic to get to East Beach. If those of us with iPhones/Blackberrys could just do a simple post like that about launch conditions, it would be a major help to all Kiteboarders in the area. (especially those with long drives or those still on the fence about making the drive). It only takes a few minutes to log on and and make a quick post..... and it will make it easier for those of us to decide weather or not we can leave work early!!

Not sure about the whole twitter thing, i personally havent used it... dont you all need to be friends to get responses? I have enough trouble with FB!

Lets maybe give this a try and see how it works?
was easy enough for me... im sure there are enough of us around with hi-tech phones to give it a go.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:39 PM

Danny "Inferno" had something worked out with Gmail last year. Tampawindreports It looked pretty simple and free! Twitter in my opinion just needs to go away.
http://www.fksa.org/showthread.php?p=35782#post35782
Old 09-21-2009, 12:48 PM

The thing with that is ( if you can find it ) is that you still need to go online, so why not keep it here where everybody can find it?
Old 09-21-2009, 12:53 PM

What I have is already set up and sitting there. It includes live video, pics, and live chat. It is also possible for each beach to have its own "channel"
(It need testing and input to speed up the process, kinda like the rest of the site.)
here's how it works:
shoot the viddy, pic, or text update to an email address.
-or-
view the site for update (or pics/ video), or to chat with the person on the beach.
That's about it...

Will check it out more after my phone shows up and I re-learn how to use a telephone.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:21 PM

Something will get figured out.
I agree, Paul, Twitter is for twits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobiekanobie View Post
If those of us with iPhones/Blackberrys could just do a simple post like that about launch conditions, it would be a major help to all Kiteboarders in the area. (especially those with long drives or those still on the fence about making the drive). It only takes a few minutes to log on and and make a quick post..... and it will make it easier for those of us to decide weather or not we can leave work early!!

This makes sense. But, the wind is St. Pete is so on/off that often by the time a post is read, a person drives out and rigs... it's often over.
So, just keep that in mind and don't hold it against the guy that made the post if the wind dies.

Posts can alert of false positives though. Like if the Skyway sensor is saying 18 and it's only 7 (this happens a lot on NE).
Posting this info could save several people a drive.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:16 AM

I think for it to really work it needs to be something very simple and available to anyone that can receive txt messages. There has to be a simple way to build a mailing list with everyone's txt address and have folks at launch sites simply send one email to one email group and it will in turn respond to all mailing list members. Everyone would get a txt back to their cel phones w/ up to the minute info and smiles and hi-fives commence!

would be great to have the hi-tech stuff there too.. but all i need is "Its f**king nuking at EB!!!" sent to my txt inbox and I would be a happpy camper.

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa