FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 10-26-2010, 10:06 AM

Default Theft at Honeymoon Island

Someone stole the beach. It's gone. All the sand is missing.

There were these two concrete piles that stuck up out of the sand about 6 inches at low tide that you could really stube your toe on if you hit one. Well now there are 4 or five of them exposed and they are 3 feet tall with a horizontal member of concrete spanning between them. Be careful. Where there was a vollyball court there is a single post very close to the waters edge.

If you see the sand please return it, Thanks
Old 10-26-2010, 11:25 AM

Wow. I have only been out there once, so I haven't seen the area in years.
Are you serious though about that much sand eroding away? If so, I would like to know how you think that happened, I find that kind of stuff interesting.
Is it actually possible someone purposefully removed the sand?
Anyway, just sort of curious, thanks.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unimog Bob View Post
Wow. I have only been out there once, so I haven't seen the area in years.
Are you serious though about that much sand eroding away? If so, I would like to know how you think that happened, I find that kind of stuff interesting.
Is it actually possible someone purposefully removed the sand?
Anyway, just sort of curious, thanks.
Yep serious, sand gone.

Erosion. Me too.

More than possible it's happening today, "someone" is Mama Nature.

Was there all day yesterday watching it, sand is dropping into the pass in big chunks. The islands are constantly changing via current movement, this change is a big one.

The government pumped millions of dollars of sand onto the west end of the island a couple of years ago, only to watch it disappear in a couple of months.
Much of it ended up inside along the south coast of the island. Now it's moving on. Maybe back to where they pumped it from. Can't mess with Mama.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:17 AM

All those millions washing away. Good job Gov, oh wait you throw money away all the time. I forgot.

PS. Thanks Gov for ticketing my car at Sand Key the other day. I walked down to the beach to check the wind before I put money into the meter. I was gone for 2 minutes, upon my return a $20 dollar ticket.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:17 PM

F-in big brother...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post
All those millions washing away. Good job Gov, oh wait you throw money away all the time. I forgot.

PS. Thanks Gov for ticketing my car at Sand Key the other day. I walked down to the beach to check the wind before I put money into the meter. I was gone for 2 minutes, upon my return a $20 dollar ticket.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:18 PM

yep learned that lesson many years ago in Pompano Beach. Drop a dime in the meter even if you are just going in to take a piss. It's good odds on $20.
Old 10-30-2010, 05:32 PM

Ha. My very first project out of school that I was involved in was a beach re-nourishment project for the beaches immediately adjacent to Jupiter Inlet. My part of the job was to give advice toward minimizing effects on sea turtles and other "critters of significance".
Anyway, they (Port Authority, City Council or similar, can't remember) dredged up stuff not too far offshore to replenish the beach for about 6 weeks straight at a huge cost.
No lie here - 3 days after they were done, a big Nor'easter came in and washed all that new sand out to sea. It was funny as hell, even to me. Why? Because it was beyond obvious that was what was going to happen, that's why.
It didn't take me long to realize it was the best salesmen, not necessarily the best scientists, that make money in that field. That guy that sold that dredge job could have sold...____________
Old 12-09-2010, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
Someone stole the beach. It's gone. All the sand is missing.

There were these two concrete piles that stuck up out of the sand about 6 inches at low tide that you could really stube your toe on if you hit one. Well now there are 4 or five of them exposed and they are 3 feet tall with a horizontal member of concrete spanning between them. Be careful. Where there was a vollyball court there is a single post very close to the waters edge.

If you see the sand please return it, Thanks
Crackheads will steal anything. One of them stole my daughter's tricycle and it didn't even have a seat.