FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 11-26-2008, 01:11 PM

This is my first time watching that interview I had no idea where I was or what was going on. My responses don't even line up with the questions asked. I had brain damage and was on tv too soon afterwards - did not respond properly to the tropical storm question.

I can see how this pissed people off but you're bringing up an interview with brain damage and I could barely speak. So with that behind me I'm trying to do the best I can to leave a positive footprint. Hoping attention will shift away from me and onto kb4c.org

sun sentinel called me at lunch today, I told them i'll be donating to kb4c

With some help I could shift all this energy to positive
Old 11-26-2008, 01:35 PM

I was so gone for that interview I saw the word 'Denver' on a production monitor and said hi to denver. hahaha that is probably my favorite part of it I dont even know anyone there.

Anyway I didnt blame the kite it was new news to me man I just didn't know a broken pulley was even possible. I could not talk about kites and talk more about sea turtles again if you'd prefer
Old 11-26-2008, 02:09 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Kevin,

We wish you the best on the road back. At the same time, BizGuru captured the sentiments of quite a few in the global kiteboarding community with his comments, harsh though they may be. You were hurt and many feel the sport and community were hurt as well by what was repeatedly presented to the media.

Of course you weren't in your right mind at the time, which was all the more reason not to have been up walking around but parked in a bed somewhere recovering. At day seven I was stuck in the ICU after my kiting concussion and heading to the beach to walk around then or even two weeks later wasn't even possible. It is all history at this point. Damage has been done and worse, perceived to have been done. When I said it takes time to heal things, this is what I meant. Directing donated funds to KB4C is a step in the right direction but these things take time and consistent positive, low key action.

While you're healing, look around this site. There are hundreds of posts and articles dealing with all aspects of kiteboarding. There are a number of posts about pulley failures and breakage, preventive maintenance, preflighting, choosing weather and launches and a lot more useful input. Kiting like steering an airplane can be easy to a point, when things go wrong is when all that extra knowledge, training and preparation can really help out. More importantly, adequate preparation could readily stop things from going wrong in the first place.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 11-26-2008, 03:14 PM

Unerstood man, just make sure any more meeting with the medias comes off in a more positive light. You have to think of how your words are precieved by others. Your accident has made the media chase you down as an ambasator for the sport. Think of how that intervie looked to the world both kiters and non-kiters. Is that the kind of example you want to portray? Also think of how you may affect other kiters thinking about going out. I really do hate to be harsh but after seeing all the hard work guys like Rick I put into promoting the sport and saftey, 1 interview like that can push the whole sport back.

Once again I wish you the best, and just make sure you come off as a positive ambasator for the sport also if you get some time read though the forum, there is a TON oof great safety information, also if sun sentinel does post another article maybe dropping a line for www.fksa.org as a good resource for people wanting to get into the sport may be nice.

Sorry for the harshness of my first post, I will edit it later when I am back at my office.

Ken
Old 11-26-2008, 05:32 PM

thanks the whole situation is really stressful and I'm trying my best
Old 11-26-2008, 08:11 PM

When anything adverse happens, it's human nature to initially dwell on the negative, but then we as a species focus on the positives. The positives in this case accentuate the need for safety aspects of the sport and potentially what could go wrong during split second decisions. I don't think anyone who watched the video wasn't influenced. We learn from the mistakes of others. People will continue to take chances, but hopefully we all took something from your accident and even though it gave our sport a black eye at the time, the long lasting effects will hopefully improve safety and the negative impact will pass into history. Good luck with your physical and mental recovery. Remember, the media isn't out for humanitarian outcomes, but only to boost ratings. It's the gladiator mentality. People enjoy gore, not good deeds. Try to get the media to cover a beach clean up or a charity event.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:43 PM

Default discovery channel request

I have a production request from discovery channel. Looking for a few senior suggestions - Some of you would think "dont do the interview" but I would like to view as a way to show who I am with a full brain capacity.

This would be my 6th time on tv and I don't want them to catch me offguard. I am a decent rider with limited knowledge of what I have attracted.

Ok with that said:

Kevin,
My name is Chris Perez and I am a producer for Cheri Sundae Productions and The Discovery Channel. I am writing to you because we are producing a special program entitled "Rampage" which is scheduled to air on Discovery and we are interested in producing a segment regarding your kite surfing accident during Tropical Storm Faye.
We would like to know if you would be interested in sitting down with us to conduct an interview regarding your experience. We would only need a couple of hours of your time and could pay you for your participation. We could go to you and are very flexible.
Please reply or call the numbers below when you get a chance. I appreciate your time and it is good to know that you are recovering from your injuries.

Chris Perez
Story Producer
Cheri Sundae Productions / The Discovery Channel

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sure I can probably do an interview. The program name "rampage" is a hesitation. There has been a lot of negative press on this incident and I will not be willing to promote any more productions that could push restrictions on the sport. My goal is still to attract viewers for knowledge of the sport and what I have gone through. My lack of fear of death while doing what I love can be interesting with emphasis on understanding the conditions you are facing.

Provide me a description of your show and your planned interview questions.

A few suggestions while you come up with questions:
kitesurf community related questions
riding on tv is a possibility
promoting the safety aspects of the sport and what I did wrong that day
full recovery
a goal to leave a soulful respectable footprint

Thanks Chris,

Kevin Kearney
Old 01-06-2009, 06:56 AM

Kevin,

I'm really not trying to be a d?ck, but don't even consider it. Look at what you've looked like in the past, and the potential damage you've done for the sport. Come on, there's been thread after thread on kiteforum, and a few on here, of people who don't support you and are unhappy with the outcome of your accident(and that's saying it nicely). I know that you're trying to redeem yourself, but dude, sometimes the only wayt to do that is just stay the f?ck out of the spotlight.
I really hope you choose not to do this interview. I can't believe any of your local riders would look highly upon it. I suspect if you were one of our local riders here and you did another interview(only 6 already? come on dude that's enough), you'd hear about it from everybody on the beach.

Richard
Old 01-06-2009, 08:47 AM

Take the 5th, be quiet, dont do it or what ever you choose to say......out of sight out of mind, you need to let this go away, you are causing harm buy bringing back up again and again........if you feel kiteboarding is your family, has helped you and you love the sport, give us a break!
Old 01-06-2009, 09:17 AM

Well the response is expected. I should remember that after I almost died people made dartboards with my face on it and maybe the individuals in this community might not be the same as people I have met in my journeys. People just want me to fall off face of earth... which at this second makes me more into riding on tv and telling them I love kiting and here is me, I'll do this forever. Also I should remember that tv wants to show death, danger, mayhem and they have already skewed my interviews to show this and they will probably do it again.

I probably won't do the interview I was unhealthily stressed out last year and I'm trying to start the new year with this in the past