FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

Old 02-21-2016, 06:12 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Recent Accidents, Rethinking Things

- A kiter apparently ignoring hazardous weather, not punching out in advance, only to be lofted several hundred meters into a roof within the last week. He survived fortunately and with reported limited injury. There is controversy about not only about hitting the QR early but even about choosing to be in such conditions which have killed and maimed plenty in years past. This makes no sense to me having been spanked by hazardous weather more than once years back and reading over so many losses.

- A kiter tragically lost today it what seems to have been a lofting/dragging of a well experienced kiter into a seawall. Few certain facts are available currently and the following remains to be confirmed as well. Conditions were forecast to have strong winds from 29 to 46 kts with a high tide around the time of the accident. There may be a disturbing trend developing out there and the year is quite young hence putting this post up.

- A kiter had a fatal heart attack in Maui involving an experienced kiter from the mainland. Conditions were reported to be quite large, around 26 to 32 ft. waves within about the last week. Bystanders attempted to bring him in but were unable due to the challenging conditions. It is possible that the demanding conditions may have factored in the heat attack, we may never know for sure.

- A solo experienced kiter drowned for as of yet unknown reasons in strong wind conditions and good sized waves in Australia within about the last week. It is possible that the demanding conditions may have factored in drowning, we may never know for sure.

- A kiter was lost on land within the last month. This accident is still being researched. Still questionable choices may well have factored in the sad outcome. More to come on this soon.

Big wind, incoming hazardous weather, poor downwind buffers, heart attack and drowning in challenging water conditions (which may or may not have factored in the later two losses) and questionable choices in riding locations. Accidents will happen and for the causes given as we have experienced in years past. Still four fatalities and one serious survived accident in a short time is a bad trend. El Nino conditions are bringing strong winds and big seas to many areas as well. This may continue for a while, part of the reason for posting this now.

This is a good time to reconsider things, go back to basics. When things workout high depower kites can do amazing things, trouble is there will be problems too. Some problems will result in injury or worse. Guys are heading out into some very strong winds. Some do ok sometimes, others not so well. They are allowing very little margin for error and as we know, there will always be errors or simple misfortune.

Riding in big seas is exhilarating but as with the rest, things will go wrong at times. You may just come out of it with a good story and a nervous smile or things might go a bit further to black. I like riding solo myself, do it all the time. I also realize this is a significant contributor to fatalities in kiting one way or the other over the years. Sticking with familiar conditions and progressing with careful deliberation into more challenging settings make sense. Despite that we may fail to take this path, sometimes it works out others not. The odds are greater for misfortune after all which will strike some among of us over time. It is all about choices.

This is a real good time, to take a few steps back, take a breath and consider what we are willing to do for fun versus what we might choose to take a pass on. We may be in strong winds and conditions for a while. Use your good common sense, listen to your gut and choose well.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 02-21-2016 at 06:30 PM.
Old 02-22-2016, 11:18 AM

Default Wind Gusts!!!

What many do not account for are the wind gusts. It seems that this El Nino has brought us winds that are more gusty than during a normal season, at least here on the Florida west coast. It pays to spend some time on the beach with a wind meter to determine the appropriate size kite to launch (you also have to not leave that kite at home, but take it with you to the beach). Even then there may be conditions where the wind speed on the beach is less than what it is 25m up where the kite is.

I have been out in winds gusting from 20-30+ knots and while I could ride safely on a 9m kite, it was not really that fun getting yanked if you missed a gust. You have to watch the water for the gusts and this is particularly dangerous during launching and landing (even more so when self launching and landing).

Jumping and performing tricks is even more precarious when the wind is gusty. I have jumped when I though that there was a steady gust and at the top of the jump, I was dropped like a lead balloon. Not too good on the knees and the rest of your body when you take that hard landing.

It is better to be cautious than to risk injury to yourself and others.