FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > SE Florida And The Keys Forum > Session Report!
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 03-08-2011, 04:57 PM

Default Where to ride the NNW on Friday?

RickI favorite forecast and all the ones I'm looking at have the wind rounding west of North and building overnight THursday to Friday, so I'm trying to figure out where I want to be for a NW like that.

Heard you have to hook up with folks boating away from the beach in the keys. Inside of Crandon Park? Can you ride jupiter if there is west in it?

Or up to Sebastian and catch it channeling inside a dune?

Where is anyone going/recommending.

thanx

brian
Old 03-08-2011, 05:16 PM

Default pennekamp

looks like the inside of north end of key large where the JOhn Pennekamp park is located might be a good ride in that wind direction if there is a way to get to the water -and the wife can go snorkeling at the same time. two birds with one stone?

2B
Old 03-08-2011, 06:55 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

That direction works on the ICW side of Sebastian State Park. It may work on the ocean side in Juno/Jupiter as the coast slopes off to the NNW there. ASM and Miami Kiteboarding both run sea taxi out into the Miami Flats in Biscayne Bay which works with wind from all directions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by occidental tourist View Post
RickI favorite forecast and all the ones I'm looking at have the wind rounding west of North and building overnight THursday to Friday, so I'm trying to figure out where I want to be for a NW like that.

Heard you have to hook up with folks boating away from the beach in the keys. Inside of Crandon Park? Can you ride jupiter if there is west in it?

Or up to Sebastian and catch it channeling inside a dune?

Where is anyone going/recommending.

thanx

brian

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 03-08-2011, 06:57 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Unfortunately, easily shoreside accessible, relatively safe launches on the Florida Bay side of the Keys for westerly winds are rare. What few that come to mind are on private property. There are deeper stretches stopping you from easily walking out as can usually be done on the Florida Straits side. Your best bet down there is to take a sea taxi with Sevensports or the Otherside in Islamorada. Your wife could take a snorkel boat out of Holiday Isle and you could take a taxi to the bay. Everyone should be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by occidental tourist View Post
looks like the inside of north end of key large where the JOhn Pennekamp park is located might be a good ride in that wind direction if there is a way to get to the water -and the wife can go snorkeling at the same time. two birds with one stone?

2B

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi