FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > Something Rich And Strange ... Diving Tales From The Water Underworld
Connect with Facebook

Old 05-14-2014, 07:29 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default White Shark Attacks FL Diver, Another GW Heads For S. Florida?

An image captured from the video, see below.

On May 6, 2014 Jimmy Roseman was spearfishing while scuba diving on Bethel Shoals off Orchid Island, FL. He had just approached the bottom at 80 ft., speargun loaded when a white shark swam over him from behind. He had turned on his GoPro camera which captured what happened. Jimmy was solo at this point but had two dive buddies still on the boat on the surface. You will hear a clicking noise in the early part of the video to which he attributes the shark's teeth coming in contact with his diving tank. The shark proceeds to make close passes on Jimmy who eventually started to push it away with the point of his gun. He also tried to move next to a low profile worm rock ledge for limited cover.

The shark's behavior suggests it was getting excited. I don't know if he was trailing fish or not but it seems unlikely if the diver had just arrived at the bottom. (NOTE: I learned after making this post that Jimmy did have a speared fish with him at the time of this encounter. That would explain some of the persistence of the white shark). There seems to be a cobia swimming around with the white shark in the video. I counted his hitting the shark at least four times. He noticed this wasn't having much effect and the shark seemed to be growing more interested. He then decided to hit it hard in the head near its eyes. This sent the shark on its way and Jimmy didn't see it again. He surfaced and Jimmy and his two dive buddies moved the boat to another area and didn't see sharks again that day.

Here is Jimmy's GoPro video edited by his friend Chris Saunders complete with Jaws sound track?

On a related note, there is another white shark at over 14 ft. and 2300 lbs., named Katharine by the folks with http://www.ocearch.org/ who are also tracking quite a few white sharks including this one.

Katherine being tagged off Cape Cod on August 19, 2013. With comment: "“Katharine has us all sitting on pins and needles as we wait to see where she will turn up next. I do not believe it is coincidence that Katharine is moving through an area where other white sharks have recently been spotted. Although this is all new and exciting for us, these sharks are most likely taking advantage of resources (habitat or food) that have been known to them for decades.” -John Chisholm, Fisheries Biologist, MA Marine Fisheries" Photo and quote from: https://www.facebook.com/OCEARCH?fref=photo

This shark is moving pretty fast heading south. It was off Jacksonville on May 6, 2014 per the track suggesting it was another shark that attacked the diver off Vero. More about Katharine at: http://www.jaxobserver.com/2014/05/1...ed-by-ocearch/

This is the shark's track covering almost 200 miles in the last five days. It has traveled almost 3700 miles since it was tagged last year. It was last pinged yesterday at about 6 pm, east of Port St. Lucie Inlet/northern Jupiter Island. Track from http://www.ocearch.org

An aerial photo of Katharine the shark near the beach off the Treasure Coast. From: https://www.facebook.com/Floridatoda...type=1&theater

It seems to be moving south and into South Florida. We've had them here before, some say they aren't that uncommon on the deeper reefs and wrecks off the Keys. It looks like we may have one, possibly more off SE Florida soon by current indications.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 05-15-2014 at 06:07 PM.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:30 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Heads up South Florida, Katharine was just pinged offshore of Delray Beach and still moving south fairly fast. In speaking with George Burgess of the Florida Museum of Natural History, International Shark Attack File, he indicated that white sharks travel south with the right whale migration to linger in NE Florida waters. The whales calve in those warmer waters this time of year while the sharks prey on what they can find in the migration. He indicated that at times motivated by other prey and water temperatures the white sharks may head further south and even swim into the Gulf of Mexico at times.

(Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission/National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration)

Mr. Burgess also said that prior to the extinction of the Monk Seal in our waters early in the last century, white sharks likely maintained residence in these parts year round. I wondered if something drew them to the deeper waters off the Keys at this time of year.

An illustration of a Caribbean Monk Seal declared extinct in 1948.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caribbean_monk_seal)

Tracking maps from http://www.ocearch.org/

At any rate, we have Katharine and perhaps other Great Whites moving south into our waters currently.

The sharks over all passage to mid day today.

A closer view of progress heading south. There is at least one white shark and perhaps more moving off South Florida. Wonder if the right whales are moving more to the south than normal?

p.s. - some have questioned the use of the word "attack" in the subject line of this post. I actually thought it over before posting it. I tried to find a concise definition for "shark attack" online without success. Looking at a definition for "attack:"

noun: attack

1. an aggressive and violent action against a person or place.

The action of shark was aggressive by any reasonable interpretation, the downward projected pectoral fins through much of the clip and arched back at one point only add to this conclusion. Looking at it another way, if a 12 to 14 ft. White shark likely weighing a couple of thousand pounds bit or slammed into my tank and then proceeded to make runs on me several times with increasing agitation, I would conclude it was an attack.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 05-15-2014 at 06:13 PM.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:47 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

I got to speak today with Brian Brumaster close friend of Jimmy Roseman. Brian was on the boat the day the white shark stopped by. Brian said that as it was Jimmy's boat, he had dibs on the first dive that morning. They don't anchor but live boat following the exhaust of the diver in the water. The guys frequently dive solo to spread things out. The time was around 9 to 9:30 am. They had arrived in 80 ft. of water on Bethel Shoals looking to spear some bottom fish. They had on full wetsuits as the water was 77 F on top and 72 F on the bottom.

Jimmy Roseman is a guide for various types of hunting both on land through Osceola Outfitters and in the water as well as being a taxidermist. Brian grew up diving off the area and has been hard at it since was 14 years old. This guys are of old Florida, hog and alligator hunts in the glades, etc..

Jimmy and Brian are full time spear fishermen, have been for years and they push the envelope and get beaten up for their efforts at times. Two weeks previously, Jimmy was attacked by a 7 ft. reef shark when he had a fish on. He punched it away with his speargun and it took off after one good poke. Ironically, Jimmy was using the same GoPro camera he bought from Brian on that dive too on a mask mount. Jimmy joked about having Brian to buy the camera back due to its unusual shark attracting abilities?!

They guys had no idea Great Whites were in the area until they got home and learned about Katharine. In fact when Jimmy first saw the shark he didn't realize it was a white shark. That came later after they could look things up at home. White sharks are as rarely seen in those parts as they are off southeast Florida apparently.

Brian related that he had been attacked TWICE in the past by bull sharks when he had fish on. The last one bit his hand after missing the fish Brian was trying to keep away from him. That attack resulted in a total of 50 stitches between both sides of his hand and $15,000. in medical expenses. I asked Brian just how successful he was in driving off sharks (bulls, tigers and hammerheads, it is shark central in those parts), when they are spearfishing? He said usually one good jab from the speargun and they take off consistently. Brian has had to deal with lots of shark encounters and a couple attacks as well as I have said. There are no guarantees in any of this of course, sometimes divers particularly spear fishermen are nailed by sharks. So none of this is to encourage hanging out with sharks and bloody fish.

I understand visibility in the morning was about 15 ft.. Brian said the guys usually carry dive lights to spot fish in crevices in the rock, hence the light in the video clip. The shark came up out of no where from behind Jimmy. When it hit his tank he was forced forward in the water column by the impact. He later checked his tank for marks but it was already heavily scratched up. Jimmy surfaced with four fish after this dive and likely had at least a couple on him before the attack. These guys don't give up their fish as a rule to an attacking shark which is interesting but not a unique perspective. Some guys suggested he should have shot the cobia that was shadowing the shark to distract it but Jimmy thought better of it and just kept poking the shark away. Jimmy estimated that the shark was about 12 ft. long. You can see his exhaust in the clip, I saw no evidence of hyperventilation or even much increase in breathing rate. He was using a 100 cubic foot tank with 3000 psi originally. He surfaced with 1000 psi after his session with the white shark. He is one cool customer to say the least but Brian did say he was rattled by the experience, but not enough to stop diving for the day. They moved the boat and kept diving, free of sharks this time.

I asked Brian what Jimmy might have done differently? He said neither Jimmy or Brian himself would have done things differently, which is saying something. That goes from not giving the fish up, keeping your head and staying put until the shark is driven off. It is no secret that I am not crazy about spearing in heavily depleted and ecologically impacted southeast Florida waters. I decided continuing to shoot what few small fry we had left was a bad idea many decades in the past. Our water is fairly clear, fish stocks heavily culled, estuaries shrunk, shoreside population out of sight and in general it is a rough place to be a shootable fish. With these guys, shooting in poor viz. for food, often cold water with sharks out the wazoo to level the playing field and strong fish stocks by comparison, it is easier to accommodate for me.

Thanks for sharing your story guys, try to stay in one piece!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 05-18-2014 at 08:18 AM.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:02 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Katharine and friends are on the move in 2015 presumably following seasonal migrations.

The three orange dots in the Gulf represent pings on there separate sharks. They there are the two off Georgia and Katharine off NE Florida again. There is one individual way out in the Atlantic to the east.

Katharine is presumably heading south again. She came in close to shore as well last year. Wonder if she'll head into the Gulf again this year?

Katharine's pings during surfacing intervals over the last year.

Imagery and more information can be found at: http://www.ocearch.org/#SharkTracker

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 01-27-2015 at 11:32 AM.
Old 04-18-2016, 07:00 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUVRHcPFYHQ

" A 10- to 12-foot great white shark was spotted on Alligator Reef off Islamorada Saturday, circling a charter snorkeling boat for about 30 to 45 minutes.

The large fish, which is a rare sight in Keys waters, was swimming in about 15 feet of water around the HappyCat, a charter vessel docked at Robbie's Marina on Lower Matecumbe Key.

Captain Chris Muller got into the water to shoot video of the shark as it swam by his boat around 3:45 p.m."
Continued at http://www.keysnet.com/2016/04/17/50...imming-on.html

The captain said the shark hung out in the deeper southern portion of the reef after visiting the snorkel boat in shallow water.

http://floridakeys.noaa.gov/

No end of fun times in and around Alligator Lighthouse over the years. I have been doing round winders out there for a coons age from various points along the Keys in the area. Well, I guess Whites coexist with kiters in Oz and more frequent digs, so why not here?

Approaching the light from the western shallows.

A look down from the top of the lighthouse.

A look down from a bit higher into all that blue water and the things it may conceal at times.

Well, something to think about on the next round winder out to the light.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 04-19-2016 at 03:52 PM.
Old 04-18-2016, 12:16 PM

I liked the guy's laugh (nervous) after someone said "go look, he's right there". It was like "right. I'm gonna get into the water with a great white"...
Old 04-19-2016, 03:57 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

It is an interesting proposition, if even with a baby great white like this one. Babies need to eat too but it would make for some great photography.

Fuzzy shot with some small chubs and a big baby shark.
http://edition.cnn.com/videos/us/201...orida-pkg.wptv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
I liked the guy's laugh (nervous) after someone said "go look, he's right there". It was like "right. I'm gonna get into the water with a great white"...

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 04-19-2016, 08:59 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Another white shark showed up around the shallower reaches of the wreck of the Duane off Key Largo in 140 ft. of water. The Youtube caption for the video:

"Published on Jul 29, 2013
This was my check out dive after not diving for 11 months (I guess I should point out this is normal for me. I only dive this time of year). It was the afternoon of July 27, 2013. Also first time with the GoPro HD Hero 3 Black Edition set to 1080p 30fps wide(wish I had it on 60fps). I was using a Polar Pro snap on filter, UK PRO GoPro Camera Pole 8 Inch, and a Princeton Tec Impact XL Dive Light. I should have shaved before because me fixing my my mask probably caused a lot of the shaking in the video. It was also my best dive ever. Good thing since it was my only dive this year. Sorry it's a little rushed after the beginning got everyone's blood pumping. We are thinking the Great White was about 13 to 14 feet long. After some testing using a 14 foot car from the same distances. I'd say he was 13 feet."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owbFQWijMqI
The shark shows up close to 3:00

I went scooter free diving on the Duane in 2009 (and again in 1993 without fins). A nice sized bull shark showed up swimming across the bottom in 2009 and shows up in the video below:

https://vimeo.com/7713631

another was seen feeding on a dead sperm whale on the surface off Key Largo in 2014:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5TkOR3amwk

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi