FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > Something Rich And Strange ... Diving Tales From The Water Underworld
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 07-06-2011, 09:45 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

A new fascinating book on cave diving out of Russia with some excellent underwater images, "Orda Cave Awarness Project." It was shot over 6 months, on about 150 dives by a cave diving team. The cave system is near the village of Orda in the Perm region of Russia. t can be ordered for $50. USD from the website:
http://ordacave.ru/en/

Here is a sampling of some of the still images in the book:

The surface

An interior above water view, talk about logistical staging issues, rough terrain and ice!

A blizzard of friable mineral platlettes.

Cubism meets Mars

A surreal underwater vista exquistly captured in still images.

and many more, 100 images I understand are presented in this unique book.

This looks like a must have for cavers, like minded folks or people like myself addicted to collecting unusual books dealing with the underwater world.

There is a website with more information about the cave system at:
http://bit.ly/nTwq5M

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 07-06-2011 at 10:03 PM.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:59 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

A dramatic blue water sperm whale encounter shot by Howard Hall along with the other clips you see below.

"The Blue Ocean In Red

This video is my "best of" collection for the past year. Image capture was with the RED One camera using Nikon lenses. Locations include the Maldives, Alaska, California, Cocos Island Costa Rica, and Mexico. Music was composed by Shie Rozow."

Some impressive imagery of Mike Hall shooting shark footage for an IMAX feature with the "most impractical UW camera ever created."

"Sailfish Drama was captured at Isla Mujeres, Mexico in February 2010. The footage was captured with a RED One camera, using a Tokina 10-17mm lens, in a Deep RED Gates housing. The video was down-sampled to 720 24p from the original 4K RED files. The music was composed by Alan Williams for the IMAX feature, Island of the Sharks, which I directed in 1998. Howard Hall"

More about Howard and his underwater projects at:

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 07-23-2011, 02:49 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

UW photographers heads up! Lack of attention to the obvious isn't much of an excuse if you end up in the alimentary tract of a plankton eater. Goes against nature after all! They say 600 whale sharks showed up to nosh on tuna spawn en masse.

More photos and story at: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...haleshark.html

Apparently the photographer, Maurice Handler out of New England takes photo expeditions down to the Yucatan to photograph whale sharks. More at: http://handlerphoto.com/?pageID=400827

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 08-09-2011, 02:13 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

A new film on shark preservation including extensive closeups from "Tiger Beach" in the Bahamas. It was just premiered at the Ft. Pierce Harbor Branch campus of FAU.

"Three of the world's top artists shatter your perception of sharks. Emmy-award winning producer George C. Schellenger takes you into the world of sharks through the eyes of Wyland, Dr. Guy Harvey and Jim Abernethy. These amazing artists take you into the crystal clear waters of the Bahamas, one of the last shark sanctuaries on Earth. You'll learn why it's critical to protect the ocean's remaining sharks-and what will happen if we don't. You'll also meet Emma, a 14-foot tiger shark. With breathtaking footage shot on location around the world, and breakthrough discoveries, it's an adventure that will have you seeing sharks very differently"

The official trailer:

More at:
http://www.thisisyourocean.com/

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 08-16-2011, 11:58 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

A nicely shot and edited GoPro video clip of a record, no-limits 100 m free dive in Israel. This is the first time I have seen a sled descent followed by a fin ascent in lieu of a liftbag. I see AIDA allows for ascent by a wide variety of means.

Alon Rivkind heading up from another dive
http://f.nanafiles.co.il/

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 09-06-2011, 02:46 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Hand feeding morays can have a serious downside. The milky dark stuff coming off the guy's hand later on is blood. Notice how the other fish get excited too hoping for some table scraps. The guy was lucky over all but could have been luckier still to have avoided the encounter and painful consequences.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 09-17-2011, 09:13 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Ok, brace yourselves, the "Way Back Machine" is going way back, well sort of way back to the early 1960's. Found these on Ebay?!

I love this shot brings back memories. For one it is a photo of a Rebikoff Pegasus with full camera and instrument compliment. Dimitri Rebikoff was a French inventor of things UW for decades. He was also a pilot. He decided to combine flying with travel underwater and conceived the Pegasus. It was about an eight foot long torpedo like wetsub that you lay on top of. There was a rudder bar for your fins and a joy stick for controlling the aerilons with your hand. The pressure housed instrument pod had artificial horizon, altitude uh depth, compass and other stuff out of aircraft. Looks like he had this one rigged with a cine camera with two UW arch lamps.

You would fly this thing, do power dives, and boost ascents and could fly pretty level for photogrammetric and video surveys. I used to fly its cheaper cousin, the Remora. The main difference was instead of a $25,000 payload (in mid 1970's dollars!) of silver zinc batteries in the case of the Pegasus, the Remora towed a Whaler with a 220 v, 40 A diesel generator by a several hundred foot power umbilical. We used it for all sorts of surveys back in the day. Fun stuff. Oh, and there is mention of Columbus' "Pinta." There was another time we kicked around off Cap Haitian, Haiti looking for the sister ship, "Santa Maria" entombed in the barrier reef using diver operated drilling equipment.

I had never even heard of this publication before. Nice that somethings are before my time! Regarding, To Kill A Shark (in) The Mediterranean, I think you first have to find one? They do have tiburons but I think they are more elusive. Here's an interesting factoid from the past. In the Caribbean macho divers back in the day strove to get some black coral often at substantial depth, at least for the larger trees. This was before the practice was heavily banned for non-residents most everywhere. In the Med, macho divers used to collect Cat Shark Egg Sacks at depth? True enough, I once swapped some black coral for one of these funky translucent eggs with a guy from Germany when I was a young spud. Neat cover shot, all that fancy high tech stuff! Is that guy holding a classic RolleiMarin housing, Hans Hass' creation or is it a door opener?

Ugh, weeds! Wait, what am I complaining about I'm trying to breath on a double hosed regulator! Deep Dive, wonder what a "deep dive" was considered to be at that time? I recall seeing an amazing account over in Small Hope Bay, Andros last summer of a guy that did 462 ft. in 1962! His partner stayed down there unfortunately. This was on AIR and in the small tanks available at that time, probably "Rhinohydes" or converted CO2 bottles or something. I think in general though a "deep dive" back then was substantially shallower.

A final oldie goldie. I've yet to make it over to Greece but recall something about SCUBA diving being forbidden off the entire country without permit or special arrangements. I think this decision had to do with too many historical cultural resources being poached. Free divers can do a lot, no doubt particularly in Greece where the practice goes back mellinia. Still, if you want to dredge some exploratory holes to pillage a trireme wreck in 300 ft. of water you'll be pushing it on just a breath? So, shame on the dude making off with the amphora for the options he has removed from future divers. Most of the damage that will happen to a wreck occurs in the first hundred years as is collapsed, spread around, attacked by corrosion and eventually covered up. After that it remains in sort of a low oxygen or anaerobic stasis. That is until you pop the top on the entombed wreck, let all that oxygenated water in and things can be royally trashed in a decade or so. That is for all time and all future generations, not a good way to treat a non-renewable cultural resource. Beach Temptress Contest? Oh, got a shot of that too, interesting fashions back then.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 09-24-2011, 07:29 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

They say this is a parody of the movie Sanctum. I have trouble seeing a lot of parallels, then again it is well shot with some interesting under ice imagery. So, check it out.

More about Sanctum at:
http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=10392

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 09-28-2011, 05:18 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Martin Stepanik is in Sharm el Sheikh, Egypt training for a new world record free diving attempt to 130 m (428 ft.) CWT or with mask and monofin. He will also attempt to break world records in Free Immersion and Constant Weight with no fins.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 10-11-2011, 09:33 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Chilling out on, over and beneath the ocean.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi