FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > Kite Events And Competitions > *** Past KB Events! *** > 60 Mile Jupiter To Ft. Lauderderdale RACE! > Race Info
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 01-14-2008, 12:44 PM

Default Don't look now, but...

It looks like things are finally starting to heat up a bit. The winds are looking pretty good all week, but out of a variety of directions. I know that it is still very, very early to start looking at the weekend, but Sat. or Sun. is starting to look pretty good. The forecast for Sunday is very similar to last year's pre-race!

If the wind did come in hard out of the N-NE, it would make equipment selection very tricky. The race would be very broad allowing for the use of larger kites. The difference this year is that we will be riding well offshore and the rough water and large kite combo will be fairly taxing. Additionally, the race would require many jibes down wind, thus making the actually distance over that water substantially longer. I think that this dead down wind race would allow for a few more tactics to come into play as well as some more board handling.

In winds over 22 knots or so a rider can really choose from betwen a 9 meter kite and a 14. I guess that in a tight reach that racers would choose the smaller kite while in a full down wind race the large kites would rule. Keep in mind that a broad race will be easier on the legs, but that the staring on the upper body can be tough.

I'm looking forward to doing this thing!

Kent
Old 01-15-2008, 09:23 AM

Although it's not as strong, I like Monday's direction better.

Especially since I just heard a rumor that the Naples race may go off on Saturday.

Two races right in a row wouldn't be nice.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:29 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

I've seen you in action on the water. You can handle it although the driving would be a bit much. Could set a record for the most miles covered kiting in distance races on a weekend. Seems like the wind might be back. Good thing!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 01-15-2008, 10:16 AM

I don't know Stacey, after doing the pre-race from Ftl to MIA in onshore winds, I don't think that I would want to put in 60 miles on an edge. If we are really cracking off the wind in 25 or so, it doesn't get much easier than that.

I too am hearing that the Naples race might happen on Saturday. At least they are on different tacks! How many people would do both events? Anyone? I just talked to Leroy and he said that he's in. I guess that I would have to think about it. Maybe Best will kick in 10K for the winner of both? Come on what happend to the good old days of you guys kicking in huge bucks for local events? Stacey, talk to the powers that be and get some prize money going.

Here's the deal:

Low points wins. 1 pt. for 1st, 2pts. for 2nd, etc. Let's say Damo gets a 2nd in Naples and a 6th in Jupiter and I get a 3rd in Naples and a 2nd in Jupiter... I WIN!!! my 5 points to Damo's 8!!! I take home Best's 10K!!! Come on Stacey, pull the trigger!!! 10K, 10K, 10K...
Old 01-15-2008, 10:40 AM

Are you kidding? I'd MUCH rather do 60 miles on an edge. So much easier. All that sine-ing and looping and bearing off your edge and tacking? That's how the second half of the Tampa race was last year and it was murderous. Last year's Jupiter race was pretty much an onshore wind ... one tack the whole way and it was great! Park and go. If it's out of the N, I think I'll be better off on my twintip than on my directional ... I'm not so good at jibing. DARN. Had everything all dialed and tested for a one-tack, one-direction race.

I will do both events.

Why not CABRINHA kicking in 10 for the winner of both? I like that idea MUCH better! You're much higher up in the chain of command than I am ... I'm just one of the indians. YOU speak to YOUR Powers that Be ... which is what, pretty much YOU. YOU pull the trigger!

That is kind of a nice idea though. Too bad the Tampa Boys can't speed things up and have the Tampa Race on Monday and then we can REALLY beat ourselves up.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:53 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

I'm up for both, not sure if the gastroc's agree but who cares what they think? At least if you can still walk.

Here's an idea, how about if you change your name to Alex, Stacey and Kent can change to Neil and all done. You both can authorize a gazillion for the prize.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi