FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > SE Florida And The Keys Forum > What's happening?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 04-02-2005, 10:35 AM

Default Kiteboarding in the FL Keys??

Hey there... I have a few questions regarding kiteboarding in the FL Keys area...

I have a shallow draft boat and I'm heading to the Key West area to do some kiteboarding. What area is considered Back Country and what is considered Flats (which I heard is good for kiteboarding)?? Where exactly IS the Key West Back Country?

Has anyone gone kiteboarding north of Boca Chica Key, Big Coppitt Key or the Saddlebunch Key? How was it??

North of Sugarloaf and Cudjoe Key looks like it might be worth checking out... anyone been riding there? I'm really interested in checking this area out...

Thanks in advance for any info! 8)
Old 04-02-2005, 10:35 AM

Default Kiteboarding in the FL Keys??

Hey there... I have a few questions regarding kiteboarding in the FL Keys area...

I have a shallow draft boat and I'm heading to the Key West area to do some kiteboarding. What area is considered Back Country and what is considered Flats (which I heard is good for kiteboarding)?? Where exactly IS the Key West Back Country?

Has anyone gone kiteboarding north of Boca Chica Key, Big Coppitt Key or the Saddlebunch Key? How was it??

North of Sugarloaf and Cudjoe Key looks like it might be worth checking out... anyone been riding there? I'm really interested in checking this area out...

Old 04-02-2005, 08:21 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Re: Kiteboarding in the FL Keys??

Quote:
Originally Posted by *F-BodyFanatic*

If you have a boat, all of Florida Bay opens up to you. Head west through one of the many boating channels that are located throughout the Keys, find a shallow area away and ideally downwind from the channel a reasonable distance away from the Keys/traffic and near one to the very common grass covered shoals and you are in business. The "flats" start just below mainland Florida, west of the Keys and extend almost all the way to the Dry Tortugas. Pickup a NOAA navigational chart that shows detail off the Keys and you will see what I mean. If you are riding the Florida Bay side a mile or more from the Keys there is a good chance you will be the only boat kiteboarding so I wouldn't try to find the regulars spot. They are spread fairly thinly over the hundreds of square miles of rideable area these days.

Just check it all out, tons of flats ...

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 04-02-2005, 08:21 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Re: Kiteboarding in the FL Keys??

Quote:
Originally Posted by *F-BodyFanatic*

If you have a boat, all of Florida Bay opens up to you. Head west through one of the many boating channels that are located throughout the Keys, find a shallow area away and ideally downwind from the channel a reasonable distance away from the Keys/traffic and near one to the very common grass covered shoals and you are in business. The "flats" start just below mainland Florida, west of the Keys and extend almost all the way to the Dry Tortugas. Pickup a NOAA navigational chart that shows detail off the Keys and you will see what I mean. If you are riding the Florida Bay side a mile or more from the Keys there is a good chance you will be the only boat kiteboarding so I wouldn't try to find the regulars spot. They are spread fairly thinly over the hundreds of square miles of rideable area these days.

Just check it all out, tons of flats ...

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 05-18-2006, 07:12 PM

Default keys

we dont live on the computer down here.

when are you heading down and were well you be launching your boat from?

Out of Key West just head north west, past all of the anchored boats and look for any large sandy areas to set up.

the other keys, just look for an island, there are plenty, to set up behind and there you go.

kevin
________
Vapir no2 vaporizer

Last edited by kabo123; 08-11-2011 at 09:27 PM.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:00 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Re: keys

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabo123
we dont live on the computer down here.

when are you heading down and were well you be launching your boat from?

Out of Key West just head north west, past all of the anchored boats and look for any large sandy areas to set up.

the other keys, just look for an island, there are plenty, to set up behind and there you go.

kevin
Sorry Kevin,

That was a spambot that posted. He just showed up today AFTER I did my daily spambot hunt and kill mission. Somedays there are ten of the buggers to root out.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi