FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > SE Florida And The Keys Forum > Rider Resources
Connect with Facebook

Old 08-18-2010, 09:04 AM

Default Florida Keys sandbars

Anybody have any experience riding on the keys sandbars? Witch one is good and close to shores?
Old 08-18-2010, 10:20 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Yes, thing is there are bars in many areas along the Keys. Which Keys are you interested in?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 08-19-2010, 06:34 AM

Upper keys will be closer to get, like Cayo largo or Isla Morada.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:16 AM

You will need a boat to access all sandbars in the keys. The easiest to find and get to are the sandbars just off shore of Holiday Isle in Islamorada. Most are a hard sand bottom. The sand bars in the Key Largo area are easier to show you than tell ya how to get there. If you are in the area an need some advise on where to go, give us a call or stop by the shop.

Noel
www.othersideboardsports.com
Old 08-19-2010, 08:41 AM

Thanks Noel, I will stop at the shop sometimes to meet your guys. I don't have a boat, I want to use a kayak (sit on top, very stable with good cargo space). I have been looking online at the sandbars close to holiday isla, but it looks it gets busy with lots of boats. Also another issue is where to park the car without getting towed?
Old 08-19-2010, 02:09 PM

The kayak will do just fine. You can park behind the Whale Harbor restaurant and launch at the same spot that the kiters do. You may have to pay a $10.00 launch fee for the day. The sand bar can get quite busy on the weekends but there is plenty of sandbars to move to if the other is too busy. There are also secluded sandbars that boats can't access.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:02 PM

Hey Gonzo,

I have been hittin' the sandbars with a Kayak for sometime. There are a ton that can be accessed by kayak. There are even a handfull that you can get to without a kayak but that involves a short swim and a drift launch. The Whale sandbars are great and you can easily launch your Yak for free and anchor up on one of the many flats w/o going to shore. Just dont anchor in the grass flats or boat channels. Those flats go on for a long way but its abear to walk back upwind in them.

Its so much fun b/c you get away from the crowds and its very peacefull. Go in informed and understand what your doing before you go out. From your previous post you are still pretty new to the sport and probably dont have much time in riding since that post. Stick with help and the mainstream until you are proficient. When you get there, PM me and we can hook up. Sandbars can go for miles or only a hundred feet and your in boat channel. There are a few pointers you need to get going on what to bring and how to rig.

Good luck
Old 08-20-2010, 07:09 AM

Thank you for the good news and good info. Troubleshooter, you are right, I am a beginner doing basic riding, that's why I would like to find a bigger less crowded spot so I can practice more, I know I choose the worst months to learn this sport and I won't go there by myself, at least I will bring a friend, but it will be very nice to find a few riders interested