FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 12-28-2010, 10:11 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default FIRST Ever Kiting TV Series featuring Florida Kiters!!!

A couple of well known South Florida riders, Andy Hurdman and Sean Reyngoudt go on the road with the first USA TV series devoted to kiting. They end up shooting in exotic locales ranging from the Florida Keys back country to the fiords of Alaska!

Andy and Sean appear below after finishing a grueling 60 mile distance race off the Central Florida coast. I first met Andy at the Islamorada Kiteboarding Invasion in 2002 and Sean at the first collegiate kiteboarding competition in Key West in 2007. Both are talented core riders. I can recall Andy effectively going blind during a 60 mile race down to Ft. Lauderdale and being encouraged and helped by Demian Thomas to keep riding. I think he won that race. Sean has been coming on hard in recent years winning the 60 mile Central Florida kite race in high wind and seas against some stiff competion.

The guys join with Travis Swanson producer for Hydrus Underwater Productions and create some varied and intriguing imagery of kiting in both well known and "emerging" venues. Hydrus is noted for creating startling imagery for the Discovery Channel's "Shark Week."

Riding by an ice floe in Prince William Sound, Alaska

The locations for the episodes appear below:

1. Florida Keys (Pilot Episode)
2. Hood River, Oregon
3. Windy Bay, Alaska
4. Prince William Sound, Alaska
5. Pacific Coast, Oregon
6. Utah and Desert Lake, Bonneville Salt Flats

Complete descriptions of the episodes are reproduced at the bottom of this post. IF VIEWERSHIP supports it, a bunch more episodes will be produced and aired. So, show your support for our boys and tune in! Episodes will be repeated at various times on this special Discovery HD cable channel.

CLICK photo to see preview of the pilot episode set in the Florida Keys.

Discovery HD Theater Schedule for Catchin' Air (CLICK)

More video previews for all six episodes are on the Facebook page along with still images and related information. (CLICK)

Sean rips along in the gorge sans exposure gear

"Episode Descriptions:

1. Florida Keys (Pilot Episode)- Follow our team as they head out to a remote offshore reef in the Atlantic Ocean to conquer the large ocean swells as they break over the shallow coral. Then, follow the adventure as the team explores a 30-mile section of a remote area know as the backcountry. Powered only by mother-nature what wildlife will the team run across, what equipment will break, and will fatigue cut the adventure short?

2. Hood River, Oregon- The beginning of the sport all started in the Columbia River Gorge at the small town of Hood River so it makes sense that the longest running kite boarding competition is held in this area. The competition called “Bridge Of the Gods” is not only unique in name but also unique is style. We will head out to Hood River as one of our riders enters the competition. See what happens when the weather throws the competition a curve ball and how the team adapts to the unusual conditions.

3. Windy Bay, Alaska- On the southern end of the Kenai Peninsula lies an area exposed to the raging force of the Gulf of Alaska. The only access to this remote territory is by boat or crossing the rugged mountains on foot. This area has never seen or even heard of Kiteboarding and we will use the unique geography that creates extreme wind to ride an area that most think is impossible. Join us as we head out on a 70-mile journey by boat to Windy Bay where we will camp in Bear country as we wait for the weather to cooperate and attempt to ride the Gulf Of Alaska.

4. Prince William Sound, Alaska- Alaska is a harsh an unpredictable world full of extreme conditions and breathtaking scenery. The wind generated from glaciers and ice fields is perfect for Kiteboarding but these winds can be unpredictable and extremely dangerous. See what it takes to gear up as we head out on a 60-mile adventure through glacier fjords towards the massive Columbia ice field. Join us as we run into amazing wildlife, camp on an uninhabited island surrounded by ice with the ultimate goal, riding through the floating ice pack of the Columbia Glacier.

5. Pacific Coast, Oregon- The coast of the Pacific Northwest is brutal and unforgiving yet the shear beauty masks the danger is posses. Massive swells frequently roll in off the Pacific Ocean and pound this stretch of coast. Join us as the team starts in the little town of Manzanita and dives into the heart of the Oregon Coast. Feel the tension as the team encounters a large predator that frequents these waters. Experience the thrill of tackling Oregon’s Sand dunes while trying a dangerous stunt and on a remote stretch of coast, see the insanity as the team gets blown off the water.

6. Utah and Desert Lake, Bonneville Salt Flats- Join us as head out on a road trip across northern California, through the desserts of Northern Nevada ending up at the Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah. See the adventure unfold as the crew rides the breaking swells of the Pacific Ocean, experiences the natural beauty of the Redwood Forest and the unique features of an active Volcano, ending up at the world famous Bonneville Salt Flats. The goal is to strap on a modified skateboard and see how fast the riders can go, powered only by the wind."

Andy cruises along in Windy Bay, Alaska

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 12-28-2010 at 10:46 PM.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:00 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

The just released a new trailer for the entire series touching on visuals for each episode. Have to say the videography and editing look excellent! Looks like a great series.

They have a tethered manlifting sequence (not too cool), hope they included some disclaimer language. The emperor of China used tethered manlifting as a means of executing prisoners and divining the portends for sea voyages (if the guy lived).

You can see the trailer on Facebook at:
http://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi?r...00156858700752

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 01-04-2011, 08:30 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Coming up in two more days. The first episode trailer was placed on youtube.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 01-04-2011, 01:23 PM

set my dvr to record can't wait to see it looks like its gonna be great
Old 01-05-2011, 09:13 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Coming up tonight. This may or may not be in your current cable package:

"Catchin' Air" premeirs this Thursday at 9pm on Discovery HD Theatre (Direct TV CH 281,
and Comcast CH 412)

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 01-06-2011 at 11:09 AM.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:00 AM
Finnian03

anyone else watch the first episode of catchin' air tonight?

not sure bout you but it makes me want to take another road trip to the keys ASAP
Old 01-07-2011, 12:08 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Andy and Sean had a premier party at Cafe Atlantic in Delray Beach, FL tonight, January 6, 2011 to coincide with the airing of the first episode in the Keys. A lot of kiters, friends and family showed up to checkout the action on the big screen rigged for the event. This episode is airing several more times over the next week before the next segment is shown. More about scheduling at: Discovery HD Theater Schedule for Catchin' Air (CLICK)

I interviewed Andy and Sean on video about their impressions of this first episode which they had never seen before, along with the over all experience. The video follows:

Great job guys, looking forward to seeing more of your series. Sincerely hope it is extended into more episodes too!

Here are some photos from the premier party.

The dynamic kiting duo!

They have these nifty star slots during the intro runup.

Sorry Andy, I wasn't fast enough to shoot yours but you'll be happy to know I got your parrot! Do you really let that bird use your drill?

The view from Sean's GoPro helmet cam

Sean with his tape on fin for free diving

The boys got some nice boosts in during the shoot.

Roll credits, first one is down and history has been made!

See you guys in the pictures, looking good!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 01-07-2011 at 12:44 AM.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:40 AM

Default youtube?

Rick, do u know if the episodes are available online it will b posted to YouTube? I thought it was on regular discovery and was not happy to see the boys of American Chopper
Old 01-07-2011, 09:02 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Naomi I understand it will be available online within a couple of months for folks that don't have access to Discovery HD Theater. I don't have access to it either, don't even have an HD TV! I understand for $9. per month and a new free box I can receive it from Comcast (along with 400 other channels?!). I am going to get it just to watch the next episodes. I understand you can watch it on a non HD TV but it appears like a wide screen image on a normal screen (with a boarder around the picture).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi View Post
Rick, do u know if the episodes are available online it will b posted to YouTube? I thought it was on regular discovery and was not happy to see the boys of American Chopper

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 01-13-2011, 01:21 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Episode II, set in Hood River, Oregon airs tonight!

For the schedule of episodes and show times click:

http://bit.ly/CatchinAir

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi