FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 05-07-2007, 12:33 PM

Tom, what if it had been Roy's head instead of his kite? What if Roy's bar had broken and his kite started looping toward the rocks? What then? I guess he would have just "learned a lesson", huh?

Just my opinion but I am all about taking 2 minutes to help a bro out. Looks like I am in the minority though.

In this situation I am sure that Raul and the others on the water would have helped out, they are good guys who I am sure would have helped.

But that kind of thinking isn't cool Tom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by invisible View Post
Sounds like he learned a lesson to me ! Like don't ride down wind near the rocks unless you are prepared for the consequences?

How many times are we going to see the same people stuck across the channel or walking from the rocks 100 feet from the road.

Regardless, yeah I'd have helped you Bryan... I drove by and saw you guys boosting. Sounds like you now know what the o-sh$t handles are for. Glad you are ok.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:42 PM

I was actually driving on the skyway when you were on your tack back towards shore. I hadn't seen the "high winds" flashing lights on the skyway for a while and it was a challenge just to make it over the bridge and stay in my lane at the same time. So glad that you are okay. If you see toby out at the beach over the next couple days feel free to use my bar.

I would like to see pics of your bar as well. Give us a call if you're gonna try to get your bar out of the trees and we'd be happy to come help if we're around.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:45 PM

Talking Help everyone

I really dont think anyone needs to learn a lesson with there kite. If someone is in trouble help them out. Thats IMO. Actually I still am a Newbie, but I was real new then! I didn't know about the rocks then, because no one ever told me about it. I tell everyone that comes out to Skyway not to kite over there if they can avoid it.

I was actually ok that one day when I tore up my old Turbo Diesel. I got the kite back in the air before I got to the rocks. I was standing there becaue the current was strong there and was just waiting for the current to bring my board to me. I tried body dragging but the wind was so light and the current was strong I was going nowhere. Someone that was kitting came up and grab my board and tried to give it to me. Then the wind died and there kite was comming right at mine so I tired to dive it out of the way and then my TOP OF THE LINE TURBO DIESEL inverted and fell out of the sky right onto the rocks. Who would of thought that a TD would invert so easily! LOL It would have been nice if someone came down and caught my kite for me so I could have just ran out and got my board. Oh well, the thing that sucked the most is I just replaced the Leading edge on that POS like 2 weeks before it happen, because the old one blew up on me! I was more upset that I had to freaking redo the Leading Edge again! Man it is a PAIN IN THE A$$ to switch out Leading edges on one pump kites! LMAO

Well I dont care how anyone acts when it comes to helping each other out. I help anyone out if I can! I have done everything, from catching a run away kite, looking for lost boards in the water, etc. I dont care if I like you or not! LOL I will help anyone out as much as I can. Hopefully setting a good example will rub off on everyone else.

RS
Old 05-07-2007, 12:47 PM

Glad your OK Mr B. I have a telescoping 20' pole Fox Bros have 30' one if u need it. Will pm u with # Jordain
Old 05-07-2007, 12:48 PM

roy-that's the attitude that drew me to this sport. When i started hanging around about a year ago everyone on the beach had that karma-friendly attitude and were constantly looking out for one another. Now most of what i see is people complaining about other people riding. its definitely a disappointment. So... for those of us that want others to do onto us as we do for them.... keep up the energy and good vibes and we'll all have more fun on the beach.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:49 PM
invisible

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby wilson View Post
Tom, what if it had been Roy's head instead of his kite? What if Roy's bar had broken and his kite started looping toward the rocks? What then? I guess he would have just "learned a lesson", huh?
Toby if that would have been happening people would have been running. Since that didn't happen it's irrelevant.

Quote:
so I tired to dive it out of the way and then my TOP OF THE LINE TURBO DIESEL inverted and fell out of the sky right onto the rocks
And, based on Roy's description of what happened the kite fell out of the sky onto the rocks WHILE someone else was trying to help him, so how would a rescue have saved the kite? Sounds like the rescue crashed the kite!

Quote:
Just my opinion but I am all about taking 2 minutes to help a bro out. Looks like I am in the minority though.
Everyone helps whenever they can. I can't even tell you how many times I've done the 100 yard sprint.

Besides, I just had a talk with Roy the other day about some people who shouldn't be rescued right away... getting stranded somewhere over and over and over... and eating coconuts that wash up on shore! j/k Sure you can rescue them if you want to, but you'll do it again 15 minutes later.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:06 PM

You probably have Roy mixed up with someone else. He goes out his way to help out all the time.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:14 PM
Can't Re-member

I think people are having a hard time DIFFERENTIATING between helping/ rescuing during a life and death situation which is usually over in a matter of seconds

VERSUS

Helping a friend untangle a rats nest of tangled lines

One is much more important than the other, and I'm sure everyone is obligated , and will do the right thing vs. the nice thing which isn't
Old 05-07-2007, 01:26 PM

I think it goes without saying ...and that it's somewhat safe to say that people are usually willing to help and they will do just that. Perhaps this thread is getting off-track...???

BL's account of what happened is noteworthy...and what to do if it happens to you, how to prevent it if possible (not always), are the real issues.

Gear failures happen sometimes and they take us all by surprise...sometimes at the worst possible moment. I for one am curious to see photos the bar and understand why it broke, any comments from BEST...

Bars break, lines break, bridles break, harnesses, spreader bars, footstraps...etc, etc...and sometimes quick thinking and a little luck is all we can rely on for those few scary moments before the kite stops.
rvillate@msn.com
http://www.kitesurfatlas.com/schools/4winds7seas
Old 05-07-2007, 01:34 PM
invisible

Hey Bryan did the screw come out of the bar end? How in the world did it come apart?

I once tried to cut down a best bar and even with after removing the screw I couldn't get the bar ends off... even with a hammer.

I should have a good look at my bar and make sure it's tight.