FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

Old 01-31-2008, 08:38 AM

I know that I am smaller than you guys, but this is an interesting point about not riding larger kites. When I first learned on the new bow kites, my first kite was a 16MCrossbow. I got it in May 2006. I rode that kite in anything from 10kts to 20kts switching between Big Bessie (LW 169 with the hibiscus flowers) and the LF Aura 130. That kite was a bus!!!! But, I didn't really know any different. I'd borrow my friend's 12M Switchblade from time to time, but always preferred the bigger kite until I got a 12M and 9M that Fall. That's when I quit with the "I need a big kite" as the 12M was my go to in all conditions. Fast forward just a bit, and my biggest kite is now the Era 10M!! I weigh around 135-140, and use this kite in as little as 10kts up to 22-23kts switching between my SuperPhatty and Crazyfly 125. Amazing how kites have evolved. I, too, find sub 12kts blah, but at least rideable if it dies down to that point. Roy has found that the 12M Era is his go to as well. If he can't ride that, we just leave the beach. Maybe we have all become wind snobs!! LOL
Old 02-07-2008, 12:16 AM

This is a great thread for me. My 2006 12m Waroo has been my go to kite for the last 2 seasons. I weigh 200lbs and ride my 12m 80% of the time (9m the othe 20%). Last year I would have replaced with a new kite, but nothing stood out for me. This year I probably don't have a choice since my 12m may not make it through another season.
Based on reviews I am pretty sure I will replace my 9m with a 2008 9m Waroo.
I was thinking a 11m waroo or 12m nemesis to replace my 12m waroo, but based on this thread it sounds like the 2008 13m waroo may be a good replacement.
It sounds like the 13m has more power and is faster than the 12m waroo.
A few additional questions.
-What about top end, can you 13m handle the same amount of wind as the 12m did? When out on my 12m it was rare that the wind picked up so much that I needed to come in and rig my 9m.
-I know several people that had or tried 2007 13m waroo's and for the most part that felt like they performed like Big kite (not in a good way, slow turning, non responsive, not much fun in the waves...). Can anyone compare the 13m 07 to 13m 08?
-Any comparisons between the 12m nemesis and 13m waroo?

Any advice/feedback will be greatly appreciated.
-rick
Old 02-07-2008, 06:24 AM
Tom Stock

You are right about the 07 13M...

As for the 08 13M, I would guess the comfortable top end is right around 25. Slightly less than the 06 waroo 12M. But thats no big deal because if it's a solid 20 you will be on the 9m anyway!

Don't forget,if you buy the 13M and decide you don't like it, there is a 30 day no questions asked refund or exchange option.

Best will then resell it as a used kite at which time I will promptly snatch it up

You really can't loose... Best isn't gonna leave you hanging as long as you don't sit on it for a month before you decide.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:40 AM
Skyway Scott

The 13 as stated by others is much faster (just better all around) than the 12m of last year or 06.
I think a lot of brands had a big step up in 08 over last year. Best taking the largest step up, imo, which is why you are seeing guys that have been on 'roos for a while honestly ecstatic over this year's kite.

My personal take on the upper ends of the 08 vs. prior years of the Waroos --

In the past, you could just sheet out the Waroos ad-naseum and spill almost 100% of the wind off the kite. It was semi-ridiculous. This allowed a rider to depower the kite a lot and have an over-sized kite out in some pretty serious wind. When fully depowered to this point though, steering was sluggish (duh... lol... no rear line pressure) and the canopy distorted quite a bit with flutter and all sorts of stuff. I personally always took myself off the water on a Waroo in these situations long before I felt overpowered. I would just look at the kite and sense I needed to not be on a kite that in my mind had way more wind rushing over top it, than underneath it. You could literally see the top of the canopy becoming depressed and deforming from all the wind rushing over top.
I have seen too many bad things happen in that situation with kites.

I saw Tom ride his 12m in 30 to 35 knots once. It picked up on us from about 20. It was pretty sick. He ultimately came in and I grabbed his kite. I was LITT on a 7m Waroo at the time!!

The new 08s won't let you do this (go to silly top ends). The kite is forced to stay in a position where it is more stable this year (ie, won't deform and do the "whacky"). So, you will have more wind rushing under the kite proportionately than in the past when totally sheeted out to the point of slack rear lines. This means you are going to get blown off of the water when "you should" get blown off of the water on the '08 kites. I personally think this is a good thing.

As Tom said, depending on your size etc. expect to feel uncomfortable with the 13m's top end long before the 12m kite's top end.
Also as he said, there is plenty of overlap b/n the 13 and 9.

I hope that made sense. I brought it up because the top end is going to feel different to you, I think.

I think Best did a very good job with their wind range chart this year. SQ posted them here -- http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2345359
Old 02-07-2008, 09:12 AM

i agree 100% Scott.. a huge issue with bow/hybrid kites is that riders take them out in conditions far above their "true" threshold. I am guilty of this.. the 2008 waroos will limit this to an extent. still has a great huge range.. but compared to a 2006 waroo it will max out sooner. and this IS a good thing.

and in regards to your question rick.. i have not been able to ride in anything above 20. It hit near 20 yesterday for a while and I felt perfectly comfortable on the kite.. It probably hit 20 last Tuesday but it was up and down..

I know that the stability and speed of this kite are beyond my expectations. I am the worst shopper in the world.. i change my mind 50 times before i make any purchase.. I just went with my gut on this and am very satisfied.

my friend Dan who i've been riding with since day 1 is equally as impressed and I think we are just a short while before he gives up his 12 and 14 2006 waroos for a 13m 2008. He was talking that talk that us kiters do before we make a purchase.. he was justifying the reasons.. hahah.. saying "well.. my 12 is getting a bit worn.." hahahha..

I am confident that the wind conditions will be covered with a 9/13 combo.

if you see me on the beach, let me know and I'll let you take it for a spin..

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 02-08-2008, 09:30 AM

Guys,
thanks for all the information and good advice. It sounds like the 08 13m is a big improvement over the 07. I am now seriously considering the 13m.
-thanks