FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > GEAR & SERVICES!!! > KITING GEAR!
Connect with Facebook

Old 06-19-2011, 08:08 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Nice video! My largest kite at around 183 lbs. is a 13 m Crossbow. Part of the problem may be that you are overpowered on a 16 m. With the newer kites, the largest sizes are good for larger, heavier guys and milking the absolute low end. Looking quickly at your clip as near as I can tell your posture and edging look fine, transitions good as well. Have you tried attaching your outside lines to the outermost bridle knots? This will allow maximum depower along with tuning your trim strap. You may need to pull in a little bit on your trim strap to avoid being oversheeted and experiencing poor kite response with that setting.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 06-19-2011, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickI View Post
Nice video! My largest kite at around 183 lbs. is a 13 m Crossbow. Part of the problem may be that you are overpowered on a 16 m. With the newer kites, the largest sizes are good for larger, heavier guys and milking the absolute low end. Looking quickly at your clip as near as I can tell your posture and edging look fine, transitions good as well. Have you tried attaching your outside lines to the outermost bridle knots? This will allow maximum depower along with tuning your trim strap. You may need to pull in a little bit on your trim strap to avoid being oversheeted and experiencing poor kite response with that setting.
Thanks RickI, I'm 220 I flew a 14 and it was like flying my 12.5, besides I though it was too close to my 12.5, so a little extra couldn't hurt here in Florida.

I have not tried attaching it anywhere than factory setting yet, I know I definitely need to start playing around with the knot and where to attach.

When you mean Pull in the trim strap, meaning depower a bit right?

Thanks for everything.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:42 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Ah, 220 lbs, it fits then. Despite that the kite has a lot of grunt even for a heavier guy. I would play with the kite trim both on the kite attachment and trim strap. I wouldn't move an knots but just attach your flying or back lines inside the outermost knot off the kite bridle. Yes, you may need to pull in on the red ball trim lines slightly to avoid the kite being oversheeted and "mushy" flight characteristics with this kite attachment point. You take it in a bit see how it flies in the wind you have, let it out a bit if necessary, experiment with it.

As you progress another thing you could try would be a shorter line set for stronger wind days. The shorter lines reduce the moment arm and power of the kite as you sine it. I was out in real strong clear wind conditions in Curacao within the week and had a chance to work on maximizing performance through trimming and technique in strong conditions. It works but you need to take your time with it and in lighter wind conditions for quite a few sessions. You're welcome!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 06-20-2011, 12:49 PM

Yeah I'm a fatty ... which is why I bough the 16m, I'm planning to loose some pounds, but I don't want to NOT kite while I do so ...

I will play for sure with the setting, I just get so excited I just want to be in the water, and landing the kite trying out different setting annoys me, as well I'm sure sure to my fellow kitters that have to land me and launch me every time. I will get to that though ... thanks for the tips, I will play with it for sure.

Thanks for everything.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:47 PM

wrong thread.