FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > Lessons From The Hard Side
Connect with Facebook

Old 12-14-2008, 06:23 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default SLAMMED - I Forgot to unhook

... unhook your kite leash before solo landing.

I first learned this after a horrific accident, it involved a guy solo landing using the "spin the kite" technique. The kite relaunched instead dragged him by the leash and slammed him into an 8 ft. high concrete seawall, up and across the street, slamming into the hood of a car and then getting thrown into a tree, the kiter, not the kite. Since that time a few years back, I've remembered to do this. I even remembered to do it today once but not the second time.

There is a lot more to solo landing and many different techniques. I really don't want to get into all the variations here. Competent assisted landing should be used if available.

The solo kite technique I used worked flawlessly over an hour earlier, with lots of control and some room for error. I've been doing the spin the kite technique since 2000 with reasonable success that improved substantially with flat kites. I also remembered to unhook the leash, which didn't effect the outcome of things that time. The wind was 13 to 18 mph side shore and I had a 12 m flat kite up.

I was coming in to get something and so wanted to land the kite. It didn't work out as planned. As I was working to secure it, the kite relaunched looping dragging me along at speed inland through an empty grass covered dune about a hundred feet in a few seconds. The chicken loop was unhooked and I was being dragged by the leash on my stomach. Once I tried to grab the leash attachment, unsuccessfully due to the ground rushing underneath, the dragging was almost done. I was dragged along head first, not looking ahead but downward hoping my helmet would help with any bad impacts along the way. Fortunately, I didn't hit anything too hard head first. Even though the bar was all the way out the kite stayed powered up perhaps because of a fouled line from something picked up off the ground, too many wraps from the looping, I don't know why.

I laid on the ground for a minute feeling for damage and not sensing any. I stood up looked over where a heroic tree had grabbed my kite, thanks tree! I looked down and wondered why my right ankle looked like a tennis ball and was bleeding. What did I hit? Never will know. I was very grateful not to have hit anything hard headfirst, helmet or no it could have been lights out in a coma or just lights out period. Still very grateful for that. Always wear a helmet and impact vest, always will too. Some helpful bystanders got the kite out of the tree, I pulled the lines back to me. The lady was in medicine and suggested calling the EMTs to avoid stomping around on the ankle which she thought was broken. Lucked out on that too, I hope, just some unknown soft tissue damage and a messed up shoulder. Photos tomorrow once I can get them off my phone.

Dodged another big one and "operator error" one more time. Try to use competent assisted landings and if you opt for solo, make sure you are well practiced (over ten years in my case apparently wasn't enough with the addition of some dumb mistakes) AND UNHOOK YOUR LEASH FIRST BEFORE LANDING!!!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 12-14-2008 at 07:07 PM.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:21 PM

Default Leash attachment point.

Hey Rick, Where was your leash attached? Was it suicide or to a single line. I would be surprised that the kite could generate enough power for the drag if the leash was attached to a single line. Could a looping kite negate the one line depower? What about kites that have the leash attachment point on one of the inside lines vs. the outside line? My Naish has the point on one of the inside lines and always seems to flag appropriately when activated.

Sorry that you messed up your ankle. Glad nothing else was injured. Gotta love the helmets.

Frank
Old 12-14-2008, 09:50 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Hey Frank,

This kite isn't setup for reride leash attachment, so the leash was attached just above the chicken loop but below the bar. It should have depowered but didn't, as I said likely due to a tangle. As with so many other accidents, avoidance is the best approach. When you're in the thick of it, things may not work as intended because ...? Lots of reasons.

I can recall cases of old traditional C kites in which excessive looping disabled reride leash depowering. There have also been some cases involving flat kites in which looping disabled the ability to depower simply by pushing the bar out. Yes, really do appreciate helmets, that is perhaps twice I benefited by having one on aside from loads of lesser impacts. I feel sorry for the guys that don't wear them, a percentage of which will find a need someday the hard way.

Thanks, but I feel pretty lucky to have come off so lightly, so no serious regrets (other than the dumb mistakes). At least as long as the soft tissue situation heals quickly, ha!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 12-15-2008, 09:07 AM

I am not sure if unhooking your leash is the best option for self landing, depending on the kite. I used to ride my Cabrinha kites in the "suicide" (clicked above the chicken loop relying only on the depower of the bar should I hit the release or drop the bar unhooked). However if I thought I was going to need to self land I would make sure it was attached at the proper spot on 1 line. So if the landing went bad the kite would flag out on one line. So if you do not normally use a single line safety system or IDS, you should move it to the point before self landing, I see detaching the lease being slightly safer for the kiter but significantly more dangerous for pedestrians and kite access. With the proper attachment point you should not get dragged. Also note, it seems the kite companies are moving in the right direction with the attachment points, Cabrinha, Slingshot, North all have re-ridable true 100% depower leash attachment points at the chicken loop.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:49 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

The area I was and usually ride in has few to no bystanders as a rule in the downwind area from the kite in my landings. You are right to consider bystanders and access in these considerations. Where bystanders, roadways, etc. are at risk downwind, avoiding solo landing entirely and using competent assisted landings might be the way to go. Sufficient hold fasts can work in steady enough winds, understanding some kites work better with this than others for solo landing. Some kites will bounce excessively, develop too much pull and can even roll downwind and really load up possibly moving the hold fast or simply breaking something to release the kite.

My experience yesterday suggests that relying upon conventional flat kite depowering by diverting most/all of the line tension to the leading edge WON'T always work. If the lines are wound excessively by spinning or a tangle, this depowering may be disabled. I would prefer to attach my leash to an O'shit attachment at the bar ends or to a reride ring above the trim strap assembly if present routinely.

As it is, with most kites I have owned and after that nasty accident I heard about years back, I like to detach the kite leash before solo landing. After yesterday's entertainment, avoiding solo landings in general seems to be indicated, despite having done tons over in excess of a decade.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 12-15-2008, 12:20 PM

Glad your ok, hope you recover quickly!

Does your system have a bar stopper? If so, then perhaps that prevented it from fully depowering?

I agree that assisted landing is the best option, but you can never rely on it. Eventually you will have to land a kite by yourself.

I have been moving my leash to single line when wind is on the high side, but in less winds I have been keeping it on the fully depower spot, which I may need to rethink...
Old 12-15-2008, 01:36 PM

Default slammed I forgot to unhook

I have seen a few solo landing,s go wrong , I never do them due to the road being so close, the safest way to self land is put the kite in the window ,on the water, DISCONNECT leash, unhook holding the chicken loop, reach over grab O shit handle and then let go of chicken loop.

Controlled self landings on the beach when you are grabing the center line and trying to get the kite to fall flat on it,s leading edge are unsafe in the fact that there are too many unforseen scenarios eg. a dog which happens a lot down here runs through your lines causing the kite to flip up and then power up, I am also amazed that people still try and self land when there are other kiters that can help them land.

Greg
Old 12-15-2008, 02:04 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoNP View Post
Glad your ok, hope you recover quickly!

Does your system have a bar stopper? If so, then perhaps that prevented it from fully depowering?

I agree that assisted landing is the best option, but you can never rely on it. Eventually you will have to land a kite by yourself.

I have been moving my leash to single line when wind is on the high side, but in less winds I have been keeping it on the fully depower spot, which I may need to rethink...
Thanks! Just got a report on the soft tissue stuff, sprained neck, back and both ankles. Still, seems to be healing pretty quickly so fingers crossed on that. If I didn't have a helmet and impact vest on likely would have been worse.

No stopper on this rig. I've had them in the past and have tried to always shove them way up before coming nearshore and long before landing also before jumps. To do otherwise is asking for trouble in my view. I think a tangle, perhaps even a wing tip, disabled the flat kite depowering in my case.

It is unfortunate, that this stuff has become as complicated as it has. We have had a major decrease in impact trauma particularly the fatal variety due to flat kites by my studies. At the same time, things like solo landing, where to attach leashes have become more complex. Competent assisted landings have a lot to recommend them. At the same time,ALL KITERS MUST KNOW HOW TO SOLO LAND IN AN EMERGENCY. Given the characteristics of flat kites, knowing and being practiced in a few approaches makes sense.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 12-15-2008, 02:13 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg meintjes View Post
I have seen a few solo landing,s go wrong , I never do them due to the road being so close, the safest way to self land is put the kite in the window ,on the water, DISCONNECT leash, unhook holding the chicken loop, reach over grab O shit handle and then let go of chicken loop.

Controlled self landings on the beach when you are grabing the center line and trying to get the kite to fall flat on it,s leading edge are unsafe in the fact that there are too many unforseen scenarios eg. a dog which happens a lot down here runs through your lines causing the kite to flip up and then power up, I am also amazed that people still try and self land when there are other kiters that can help them land.

Greg
Yes, your launch and perhaps Ft. Lauderdale are likely two good examples of launches to avoid solo landings. There is so little room, buffer space between the water and the powerlines and the road. Not all kites have O'Shit features, so you can't always rely upon that. All kiters should be on the lookout to help guys land. The butt you end up saving, by example, may be your own someday.

More about this launch and precautions at:
http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=5813

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 12-15-2008, 04:05 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Here's a view of leaving the beach I wouldn't wish on anyone. Good care should reduce the odds.

The swelling was already going down in this shot after icing it for a while and keeping it elevated, good thing.

This dragging outcome was pretty minor. Throw in one hard object along that hundred foot path and it could have been much worse. It is a good thing to work to avoid.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 12-15-2008 at 04:26 PM.